Help Please!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help Please!!

sslinn

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
I have a 2002 Ford Explorer and the hood will not open.

When I pull the release level there seems to be tension on it, but nothing happens.

If you have any ideas it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Shayne

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try pulling harder?

Have you adjusted the hood latch at all?

Back when I had my '92, the hood seemed a little "high" when it was closed, so I loosened the hood latch, and lowered it a little, and the hood closed a little harder, and then when I went to pop it back open (Pulling on the lever) it seemed nearly impossible to pop because it was so tightly latched.

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer and the hood will not open.

When I pull the release level there seems to be tension on it, but nothing happens.

If you have any ideas it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Shayne

The tension is likely from the return spring which is in the release handle assembly, not the actual underhood mechanism.

It is more likely that your cable is broken.

I would first recommend confirming this by having someone pull on the release lever while someone else observes the latch mechanism, through the grill (you may only be able to listen to it).

Then go from there. If the latch is not actuating, I would remove the release mechanism, find the cable and pull on it directly using vice grips or equivalent. If it does nothing, you have your answer.

If the cable is bad, I think you'll have to loosen the grill (hard to do with the hood closed) to manually actuate the latch.

Try the search option, I think this has come up before on this forum.

Have you tried pulling the handle and then giving the hood a couple thumps right where the latch is? Or, maybe the cable isn't quite pulling the latch open far enough to release it? If thumping the hood doesn't work, you could try pulling the handle, then taking some pliers and pulling the cable out a bit further and see if it unlatches. Once you get it open you may want to spray the latch down with some wd40 to make sure it's moving freely.

Thanks for the help guys. I haven't adjusted anything.

I will try your suggestions. Crossing my fingers.

Thanks guys! I hear it moving and then a couple of bumps while the release was being pulled worked!!

I appreciate your quick replies.

you can cut the cable and run it threw the grill and tire a 1 inch washer to it if you wanna do it that way i had to do it to my old 84 blazer also to my 88 blazer... but then i woke up one day and relized FORD is the way!!

If you have it open put some WD-40 on it to loosen things up, then put some oil on the latch so it won't happen again.

STU

If you have it open put some WD-40 on it to loosen things up, then put some oil on the latch so it won't happen again.

STU

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back