Matt's '92/'99 4X4 V8/4R70W swap! | Page 52 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Matt's '92/'99 4X4 V8/4R70W swap!

Vehicle: 1992 forest green Ford Explorer 4X4
PICT1418.jpg
(<Frikin Sweet)

Drivetrain: '99 GT-40P 5.0(4.9)L 302----4R70W Automatic
1221256093.jpg

Well i got my engine so i guess its time to start a project thread! The timeline on this is pretty loose. but as soon as possible cause the ole 4.0 is making wierd noises.

EDIT: DO NOT be STUPID like me! Don't get a 2wd drivetrain to go into a 4wd vehicle! The transmission output shaft length is different and will require a full trans teardown to retrofit. Luckily one of the other awesome members of the forum has the parts I need to convert. But you may not be so lucky. I doubt most junkyards would sell you Just the shaft and housing. Would rather you buy the whole transmission.

Plans:
Full teardown and rebuild
Keeping the gt-40's
New gaskets,pistons,cam,bearings,lifters, the works.
Maybe new crank
maybe strokin it
build for future forced induction
Transfer case: Hhhhhhmmmmmmm... maybe bw1354(dont wanna) or 4406 if i can fit it between the frame rails
plans will definitely evolve as we go along

here the pics

1221334906.jpg

1221335383.jpg

1221551771.jpg

1221335658.jpg

cant wait to get this thing runnin!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any progress?

Ryan

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Not really. I have exhaust leak problems but that's about it.

I found some 700* rtv to seal up the header couplings. Just need to do it.

Used the Rtv. Exhaust still leaked like a siv. I can't figure out were it's leakin at.

Got My no overdrive problem figured out. Trans shifts like a champ.

I may have to re-gasket the headers all together.

I was worrying that my cam had something to do with it but summit says it's computer compatible.

I think I could light my exhaust with a match it's so rich.

Once I get it worked out I want to make another video. Since the Last one was with no exhaust.

Can you snap a pic of where it's leaking - I'd like to have a look.

I can't figure it out. I can't here a huge leak anywhere. But as loud as thus engine us I doubt I would anyway.

I can't see anywhere on the block that looks charred.

I'll work on it tomorrow.

Got it!

Pin hole leak in the o2 sensor bung weld.

Sealed Er up. Running good.

Will make a Vid soon.

how can i get rid of the auto 4x4 switch and install a on the floor shift into 4 wheel drive like the off road ranger package

Update-a-Rooney:

there has been absolutely no progress because of three things.

1. I am extremely lazy and it is cold.

2. It drives fine know

3. I am having too much fun with the v8 to do anything else.

The exhaust is still crap and I mean CRAP. Never ever go to "Leons" or whatever the he'll it was. Absolute crap. When I drove to the muffler shop I had tac wellded some o2 sensors to some flexible exhaust pipe to get me there. They torch cut arout the o2 bungs in a 3" cirlce. Then wleded the thin flexible tubing with the o2 bungs tacked on, to the new pipe. Which was badly routed and too small.

My header collector flanges have come loose and lost bolts twice.
So that's why its running a little rich cause it all leaks like a siv.

I don't have a front driveshaft At the moment because of myaforementioned lazyness and Im pretty sure I'll have to redo the trans shifter to clear it and maybe the radius arm crossmember will have to be modified.

I'm getting about 10 mpg.

Good to see ya around finally. You'll get the little bugs worked out I'm sure.

Keep the foot out of it and you'd get better mileage I reckon.

:D

Ditto, it's good to hear you are still at it. This 26 degree weather for highs is no fun at all. I'm wishing for Spring.

Thought if anyone is still posting on this thread I have a question about headers. I ordered a set of hedman swap headers and they came with one shorty and a block hugger, you where it comes straight down and not back. I haven't seen anyone use these on any of the swaps I have followed here. I don't have a pic but I hope I described them enough to get the picture

Thanks for the info. I'm probly gonna have to replace these headers soon. There pretty much bare metal now and I can't change two of my spark plugs.

The other day I had to drive my dads explo instead of mine for a few days.

wow I forgot slow the v6 was. I guess I've just gotten used to the slam you around shifting I get from the 4r70w. I don't know how I lived without it.

Oh yeah. I lived richer. Because I wasn't getting 10 mpg. :)

Your getting 10mpg? I am getting 2x that with my swap...

Ryan

Over a year now and no explosions. Still crappy gas milage caue the exhaust still leaks. But it hasn't died in forever. I'm busy waisting all my money on Guns and shooting but hopefully can get a new exhaust soon.

How about an update? My Explorer is parked currently... May sell for money. But I'm reading through swaps for my Ranger that'll start in March.

Ever get the exhaust fixed?

Hey, Josh. I'm gonna let you in on a secret. I have an extremely severe case of procrastinitis. The exhaust is still leaky, though when it starts to effect the engine idle I just throw some exhaust sealer on the crappy welds they did and that takes care of it for a while. The engine is great, no problems since the day I put it in, though it does leak oil out of the rear seal(my fault) and I have a power steering leak. I also have a leak where the transmission lines meet the radiator tank.

I never did get around to hooking up the air conditioning, as my dad stole the working compressor from my old engine and put it on his. But that's just more good reason to drive with the windows down which I enjoy.

I am just now getting around to having the front driveshaft shortened to fit the new transmission. Ive been putting it off for so long because I'm pretty sure it will interfere with my trans shifter arm and I have no idea how I will make them fit, as I designed the trans shifter arm when the trans was on the bench and I don't know if I can even make a new one with it in the truck.(or, more accurately, I really don't WANT to have to make a new one with it in the truck.)

The truck is kinda fallin apart. The body is rusting near the wheels and the paint seems to have a new flaw every day, so it will probly end up as my trail rig instead of everyday transport. But that's okay.

very nice, I have an older mustang eng I am working with I had planded to go back to the basics in firing and carb if I changed my 94 4.0 explorer over to 5.0 computers would be gone along with shift box. I may do it to the 96 ranger yet though, your page will be helpful on a few things thanks

Matt, i havent heard from yea in a while! Hows things going? You know im throwing a v8 in my navajo now, dont yea ;) I might need your help!!

Back