1997 transfer case | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 transfer case

caseyw

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello, I'm brand new to this forum and have what I hope is a simple question. In looking for a replacement transfer case for my stock 97 explorer through some local salvage yard websites, I have gotten hits for both a 96 explorer transfer case and a 97 Mountaineer transfer case. Is this accurate? Can either or both of them be substituted in lieu of an actual 97's unit? Thanks in advance for any help.

Casey

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum!

The Mounty is a 4404 AWD case. Don't want that one.

The 96 is a 4405-CA. This has the front yolk with 4 bolts on the outout and uses a double cardon shaft.

Sometime in 97, they switched to a 4405-GA t-case. This has a different front output on it. This can be used if you get the matching front drive shaft that goes to it. Check for where your VSS (speed gear) is located. It is either on the t-case, or on the rear axle using the tone ring abs sensor. If you have the VSS on the t-case, you need to get another t-case (4405)with the VSS in it.

I hope this helps, and someone might chime in with more info for ya.

Sometime in 97, they switched to a 4405-GA t-case. This has a different front output on it. This can be used if you get the matching front drive shaft that goes to it. Check for where your VSS (speed gear) is located. It is either on the t-case, or on the rear axle using the tone ring abs sensor. If you have the VSS on the t-case, you need to get another t-case (4405)with the VSS in it.
The VSS on the rear axle is always present because it is used for ABS. So a 97 Explorer will have a VSS and a tone ring on the rear axle, and another sensor on the transfer case.

To the original poster, you have to look for a 97 case as it is unique to that year. So you can not use one from a 96, and you can not use one from a 98.

Casey, what motor do you have?

The VSS on the rear axle is always present because it is used for ABS. So a 97 Explorer will have a VSS and a tone ring on the rear axle, and another sensor on the transfer case.

To the original poster, you have to look for a 97 case as it is unique to that year. So you can not use one from a 96, and you can not use one from a 98.

Can you enlighten us on why the 97 is unique? Besides the front output, what else is different then on the 95-96?

So you can not use one from a 96, and you can not use one from a 98.

I used a t case from a different year (98) in my truck. (i too have a 97) i split both cases and swapped the half with the senser to the new T case.

while it would be easier to just get one from a 97, if you have a spare laying around (like i did) its actually a lot easier then it sounds, assuming you are methodical about it. luckily the side of the case that has the sensor, isn't the one that holds all the guts :) i can give you a general walk through if you want. assuming you have a 4.0

The motor is a 4.0, and honestly I won't be putting this in myself. I am just trying to find a replacement so a mechanic friend of mine can put it in for me. I don't have nearly enough tools or know-how to do this myself. The BW4405 is a four bolt, if that helps with any suggestions for replacements.

Can you enlighten us on why the 97 is unique? Besides the front output, what else is different then on the 95-96?
The front output is what makes it unique from the 96 and the VSS is what makes it unique from the 98+. So having said that, the 97 is unique from all of the other years.

I am going to try that opereation with two different T-cases put in one... I´ll take some photos and let you know aferwards.

I see no reason why a 95-96 4405-CA can't be used if you get the front shaft that goes with it. This will increase your search options. As was mentioned, 98 + does not have the VSS in it, so those years are out, for a simple swap.

This is really not a hard job to do. 4-10mm bolts for skid plate, 5-13mm bolts that hold the t-case to the trans, unplug the shift motor (if auto), unbolt linkage if manual, unplug VSS, remove both shafts, slide back a few inches and lower. 1st time takes about an hour, it gets easier once you have done it.

Houston, we have a problem - the "new" T-case has a broken lifting fork :/ I will never buy any spare part form a local scroudnel... Anyway, the back cover is really easy to replace.

I see no reason why a 95-96 4405-CA can't be used if you get the front shaft that goes with it. This will increase your search options. As was mentioned, 98 + does not have the VSS in it, so those years are out, for a simple swap.
Yeah that'll probably work.

I am going to try that opereation with two different T-cases put in one... I´ll take some photos and let you know aferwards.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142207

Is that possible to get a new sift fork and a chaft as a spare part? I only found one seller in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia which is not very confidental to me...

Back