Pulsating brake pedal at low speed. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pulsating brake pedal at low speed.

Reaction score
City, State
chester
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer
hi this is a standard 4x4 explorer export version, r/h drive.
recently changed the front differential due to oil leak from the 3 seals[found later that it was just the vent pipe plugged] . during this change i damaged the abs sensor on the drivers side. this is the l/h side looking from the front. explorer drove ok after this diff change but abs light on. car is now nearly due for statutory yearly inspection so i got a abs sensor from a breakers, measured its resistance [415 ohms] and fitted it. abs light now off but pedal feels strange at very low speeds whilst braking, the pedal is solid at the start of the brake but when nearly stopped the pedal vibrates and goes down further [not much] also at this point a strange noise comes from under the hood, a bit like air escaping from a balloon when you restrict the neck. when the abs light was on brakes where ok [presumably abs not functioning]can i do anything to isolate which side is the culprit? i have checked the passenger side sensor, almost the same resistance, also when resistance measuring and turning the tire the resistance alters on both, i would think this is normal. i have also measured the rear diff sensor [around 1000 ohm]. any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a faulty abs sensor, mine did this with new hub assemblies I changed the sensor out and the problem was fixed. Dont know if this is the solution but hope it helps.

thanks for that , could be you are right. i will get another sensor. ex. parts here in the uk are pretty rare, they were only sold from about 97 to 01, not many takers due to high gas consumption so for parts its the breakers yard.
also new parts from ford dealers here are a joke [ $150 for a set of 6 spark plugs!]

I'd pull a couple from the yard being there easy to remove also check the seal where they insert into the hub assembly I know the seal was bad on the one I replaced, but not sure if it's what caused the issue. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

You'll be hard pressed to find the sensors in a breaker's yard, Try Justin in Newport or an online parts place in the states and see what the shipping is.
I had the same problem on mine, and I just disconnected the ABS plug, stopped the problem and the brakes still work!

Si

thanks blueka.
i know if i pull the abs fuse the problem goes away, however the mot man will fail the truck if the abs light is on so i need to get it fixed before its annual test which is soon, i have searched these threads for a definative answer to this problem but most suggest different cures: tires, rotors, pads, hubs, sensors and so on. i will remove both wheels again, remove brakes etc, and check everything out again.
thanks to you and all who have replied to my problem.

I have one good one which you can have as I fitted two new hubs from US Autos and they come with new sensors. (you can try US auto's as the might have new sensors on their

BTW the change in resistance when moving the wheel is correct (i think it is called reluctance when the magnetic field of the toothed rotor influences the coil of the sensor). 415 ohms is normal but will not indicate a good sensor.

have you tried reseating the sensor in the hub (clean the crap off the toothed wheel and the mounting faces of the sensor).

PM me your address if you would like my used but good sensor

cheers

jim

jim.
let me know how much for your sensor, i could certainly use one ,if only to prove i way or another . ad. here is g thomas, 4, oaktree close, buckley, ch7 3ju.
include the postage in the price.
cheers.
graham

don't worry about the postage, we are a helpful lot on the UK forum, I'll post it tomorrow

As for the problem with the ABS light, I removed the bulb.... lol.. passed every MOT since doing that in 06! haha, doesn't solve the problem, but does fool the tester!

Si

I have the same problem, just pull the ABS fuse - i didn't even skid it when we had a couple of weeks of blizzards earlier in ther year!

As for the ABS - my MOT tester stated that the ABS bulb must illuminate for 3 seconds and go out which mine with the fuse pulled didn't....He then pointed me in the direction of an auto electrician who wanted to fit an ABS light timer (£75) linked top the ABS Bulb, it would then pass the MOT and the tester would be none the wiser! :D

In the end i put the fuse back in as the ABS light operates fine and the speed of the rolling road on brake test was not enough for the problem to show itself on braking! :p:

don't worry about the postage, we are a helpful lot on the uk forum, i'll post it tomorrow
ok thanks , i have emailed another question before i seen your kind offer. I will try your sensor as soon as it arrives, will let you know any results [either + or -]
cheers./
graham

I have the same problem, just pull the ABS fuse - i didn't even skid it when we had a couple of weeks of blizzards earlier in ther year!

As for the ABS - my MOT tester stated that the ABS bulb must illuminate for 3 seconds and go out which mine with the fuse pulled didn't....He then pointed me in the direction of an auto electrician who wanted to fit an ABS light timer (£75) linked top the ABS Bulb, it would then pass the MOT and the tester would be none the wiser! :D

In the end i put the fuse back in as the ABS light operates fine and the speed of the rolling road on brake test was not enough for the problem to show itself on braking! :p:
THANKS BUBBLE.
THE TESTER I USE IS VERY KEEN [probably looking for rectification work on mot fails] anyway i know if he sees no 3 sec. light he will fail it. thought about connecting it up to the oil light as that goes out in about the same time, i think i will keep trying things until it is back to normal
CHEERS.
GRAHAM

don't worry about the postage, we are a helpful lot on the UK forum, I'll post it tomorrow[/JIM did you ever post me your spare sensor? if you cant find it let me know and i will try a breakers, mot is next week and i would like to sort it by then. if you could let me know either way.
cheers.
grahamQUOTE]

posted Saturday, so should be with you today/tommorrow

You'll be hard pressed to find the sensors in a breaker's yard, Try Justin in Newport or an online parts place in the states and see what the shipping is.
I had the same problem on mine, and I just disconnected the ABS plug, stopped the problem and the brakes still work!

Si

didn´t it affect four wheel drive system?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

can you change the sensor without the hub? I have an abs fault also and and wondering how to find the faulty unit, and also if this sensor change is pos....all this without having the time to take it apart mind you!

Back