How to: - BW 4405 Transfer Case Rebuild Diary - Comments, Questions and Input Thread | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: BW 4405 Transfer Case Rebuild Diary - Comments, Questions and Input Thread

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
t-case ford explorer 96 cambio manual

Does it matter where you start disassembling the TC from the drive-lines and input?

bom dia como faço para comprar t-case wb-4405 ford explorer 96 manual?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mighty T-case guru,

where did you get the helical ramp shaft? I´ve searched the net I was unable to find it as a spare part...

I was going to say that you probably want to contact somebody who's swapped in a manual transfer case cauz they probably have a useless 4405 at that point -- but, i just searched Ebay and looks like today is your day:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4405...Accessories&hash=item2a098302f5#ht_896wt_1167

Contact the seller first so figure out how much shipping is going to be since it looks like you're outside of the States. Oh and also, ask if the seller can send you another picture of the item showing the other side - you want to make sure that small pin on top has not broken off during the removal process.

I found this item before however they do not ship outside US... I am communicating with drivetrain.com if there´s such a tiny useless piece...

Hello, I currently started to take apart my transfercase. While I was doing so I decided to clean it out due to the fork breaking spreading grinded metal everywhere. Well I took the clutch plates out to clean them and forgot how they went back in. Is there any way I get get a picture or an explanation of how they are set so I can put them back in?

I saw the answer on page 3 just dont know what plate to put in first to do the pattern. Like do u wanna start teeth down ur teeth up from the bottom of the drum.

I think you can´t do it wrong way. Usually there is only one right way to assemble it together. I do not think there is any more detailed guide. There might be some Borg-Warner service manual but I not know about it. If there is it´s certainly not a freeware.

Alright ill just try and see what happens. Thanks

There are only very few parts that can be placd upside down, as you read the diary mark them and then pay attantion to them. I think you´ll get it! Let us know when it works.

Socket for rear yoke

FANTASTIC article, Glacier. I was wondering if you knew the size of impact socket required to remove the rear driveshaft yoke from the output shaft.
Thanks for everything.
ETA: 30mm...got set on loan from the local parts store.

Wow. I am so impressed by the detail of your tutorial. I haven't actually seen the trans case in my truck that is supposedly bad, but I actually think I now have a better idea about the thing than the so-called mechanic does. Just wondering, did you reuse the nut on the ouput shaft flange? I didn't see anything mentioned.......

I'm very interested to know if anyone has a part No. for this...

DSCN7326.jpg

I need to change it (idiots at tranny shop put in screwed up VSS and gear way back when I blew the tranny up, took out a few chips in the teeth of the drive gear as a result, so it chews up the vss gear at least once a month, and i'm tired of replacing it all the time, local dealer keeps a stockpile just for me, LOL...), none of the dealers or shops list the drive gear part #, and I have Googled it until my fingers bled...

Trany shop told me it will cost upwards of $400 for the labor...morons... they claim the t-case has to be removed and split open...they think I was born yesterday...LOL not hard to pop off the yoke, pull the seal, pull the gear and pop in the new one. Add a new seal and on goes the yoke and it's job done...what, 10 - 15 mins with air tools?...LOL

***EDIT*** Ok, never mind, I googled a bit more (with bandaids on all of my two typing fingers!) and found the part #... 4405-110-001 I believe this is the ford part #, I will find out tomorrow when I call the dealer.

4wd and 4auto dash lights flashing

Hi, this is for Glacier and/or IZwack. I have a 96 xlt 4.0, 5spd manual, control trac. My 4wd has worked fineuntil today. Went for a ride up into the Rockies, not very cold and some slush. Flipped the dash switch to 4Auto and it stayed on for a while then both 4Auto and 4wd(lo) started blinking then would go off and come on and blink again a few minutes later. Even when I pulled over and switched it back into 2wd, they blinked . Pulled over again and sat with key off for 10 minutes. Stayed in 2wd back down to Denver. Got back to flat land and picked up the kids at school. Threw it in 4Auto and it worked fine. Any thoughts, solutions, recommendations????? Could it have been the altitude( I know, dumb question, ) , steep roads(again, I know dumb question, it is meant to work on uneven roads). Low fluids? dirty connections, they use that nasty mag chloride on the roads here. Any help would be very much appreciated. I am new to this site, this is my first EX and I love this vehicle and want to keep it running 100%. Thanks in advance.
divizio

The blinking lights could mean quite a bit of things - it's almost like the "Check Engine Light" on the dash. So it could be a sensor problem, a shift motor problem, or whatever.

Hi Glacier, just wanted to know if you are available for some questions and answers about the 44-05 case. Regards Curt

Ok, bringing up an old thread, but a very educational one. I'm sure many of us are wondering: where can we get the hall effect sensors for the transfer case? I saw your link in the diary to amazon, but the one in their pic does not look like this one... Did anyone write down the part number on the original sensors?

hall%20effect%20sensor.JPG

Thanks for the info!

But for THAT price....my lights can keep awn flashin'!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the info!

But for THAT price....my lights can keep awn flashin'!

Back