5.4 swap 03 Mounty | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.4 swap 03 Mounty

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I sent my times and all for the drag poll, I'm sorting out a few issues before I go back to the track. The launch is insane with AWD and all that torque.......I just powerbrake it until the green then mat it......It leaves like it got hit from behind.

i cant tell you how excited this swap has made me, i deffinately plan on doing a 5.4L swap the next time i have some extra cash, my only concern is that my JBA headers come VERY close to the stearing shaft.. and have a notch bent into them to help clear the shaft, i wonder if the 5.4 would throw things out of alignment. Ill have to eyeball your pics. ^.^.. also... im planning on doing the 5.4L LIGHTNING swap >_<... i

I used the factory manifolds.......I doubt header's will clear, as the taller deck height moved the manifolds up and out......the down-tube part of the y-pipe is pretty tight.

Nice job on the engine swap. I still can't make up my mind on what I'm gonna do to the mountys engine. All I can say is if a 5.4 fits right in then a 12v cummins will fit. Hmmm wheels are turning in my head....

So Gottabigblock, did you ever manage to bunch up those pictures of the 5.4 swap. Or mayber just describe in a bit more detail what if any fabrication was involved with the swap. This is something I'd like to get done as well.

thanks

So Gottabigblock, did you ever manage to bunch up those pictures of the 5.4 swap. Or mayber just describe in a bit more detail what if any fabrication was involved with the swap. This is something I'd like to get done as well.

thanks

No pics yet, having serious camera issues. However, the ONLY fab work I ran into was on the exhaust y pipe.....specifically, I added a piece of flex to mine to allow it to line up to the manifolds. Also, I used the elbow/throttle body assembly off the 4.6 so everything would line up( EGR, air intake, cables, etc...). Like I said, this was an amazingly easy swap. Just use the 2 valve 5.4 and you should find it as easy as I did.

***One note- my mounty has developed an odd miss/rough idle I have not been able to find....may be the ECM not liking the bigger motor. It may not be, but I haven't found it yet, and that is a possibility, that the issue is arising from the swap.

it needs MORE fuel lol, it needs a tune man.

It's been tuned, and no effect. flashed it back to stock(which ran fine for over 2 months) but got no better. I'll post when I figure it out. been fighting this for almost a month now. It's getting plenty of fuel, runs fine at WOT, miss is INTERMITENT at low rpm, under load, and less often at idle. doesn't even throw any codes. I'll figure it out. fuel pressure is good at all rpm, wideband O2 sensor shows good A/F mix at all rpm. I don't think it's fuel related, it is in the ignition.

i know this may sound weird but check all the plugs, i had the same problem on my truck and it ended up being a faulty plug that was allowing compression to leak past the ceramic part of the plug, i replaced the plug and it hasn't missed a beat, just some thing to check

I spent Friday putting the 4.6 back in it, then spent all day saturday cleaning and testing everything, finally located the bad coil. possible bad boot somewhere else, but one thing at a time. I'm not sure why it wouldn't identify it on the 5.4, but I put the other set of coils (-1 to replace the bad one) on the 5.4, and will re-install it soon. It only took about 7 hours this time( but I've had practice now...LOL) and may take less to swap them back out. I need to save some cash for a custom programmer and a good tune for the combo.

***Edit: It looks like the 5.4 was running pretty lean( lean enough for the plugs to show). anyone have any ideas?.....My theory is with the on intermittent miss, the O2 sensors were trying to correct for the unburnt fuel.....doesn't look like any serious damage done, but I am concerned. another theory is the lean condition may have been why the ECM couldn't identify the bad coil, as all 8 were randomly misfiring......I'm lost, any input will be appreciated, even if it's to tell me how far off my theories are. I need to figure this out so I can put it back in. also found out my buddies "wideband" 02 sensor is NOT!!!! It reads within a window, but not too low or too high with any accuracy. the further away from perfect, the less accurate it gets..

I would asume it's becuase the PCM only allows for a certain ammount of adjustment, I can't speak to the exact %. But usually +/- 25% will turn on a CEL. Also, what MAF did you use with the 5.4? I hope you get this solved, it sounds like a really cool project.

hows your fuel pressure. our stock system may not be able to accomodate the 5.4L's fuel requirements. Otherwise who tuned your rig? James said even the 5.8L from modular mustang could be tuned to make work.

hows your fuel pressure. our stock system may not be able to accomodate the 5.4L's fuel requirements. Otherwise who tuned your rig? James said even the 5.8L from modular mustang could be tuned to make work.

good fuel pressure, should be, new pump(less than 6 months old) and filter ....runs between 50-60psi(I can't see it any better while driving) ...I think the tune is the problem. I used my Hypertech flash programmer( standard 4.6L tunes) and other than the same differences on the 5.4 as it made on the 4.6 it made no difference for the misfire.

I would asume it's becuase the PCM only allows for a certain ammount of adjustment, I can't speak to the exact %. But usually +/- 25% will turn on a CEL. Also, what MAF did you use with the 5.4? I hope you get this solved, it sounds like a really cool project.

I used the stock 4.6 MAF, and the 4.6 throttle body and intake elbow(between throttle bodt and intake manifold). also wondering if that alone could cause a lean condition......NOTE: never threw a code for lean condition, or anything other than the random misfire and the DPFE sensor insufficient flow....DPFE sensor is bad

5.8L? isn't that a different engine family?....As far as I knew there was the 5.0/5.8 and the "Mod" motors were the 4.6/5.4/6.8(V-10)......I never heard of a Mod 5.8L, but if it's the same on the outside as these two, then I want one!!LOL

on another note, plans to buy a x-3 and get a tune built for my combo.....using forum supporters of course.;)

IT would not supprise me if the DPFE was bad. It is porbably just a tune issue, the MAF should be able to read the increased air flow from the larger displacement of the engine, but the limitations of the 4.6 L tune can't supply the right amount of fuel. Maybe cam and crank timing are a little different too?

the 5.8 is a bored and slightly stroked 5.4L. Your looking at about 6 grand for a lightly built one. I'm going with a light built 5.4 for about 3 grand. Talk to james about a custom tune. Hell do it up nice and with some data logging should be almost as good as a dyno tune.

IT would not supprise me if the DPFE was bad. It is porbably just a tune issue, the MAF should be able to read the increased air flow from the larger displacement of the engine, but the limitations of the 4.6 L tune can't supply the right amount of fuel. Maybe cam and crank timing are a little different too?

after talking with my wife, we are going to wait to buy the x-3, and get the tune for it before I re-install the 5.4...cashflow being the limiter now.....want to get the cold air set-up, and pssibly a 5.4 MAF if they're different.

the 5.8 is a bored and slightly stroked 5.4L. Your looking at about 6 grand for a lightly built one. I'm going with a light built 5.4 for about 3 grand. Talk to james about a custom tune. Hell do it up nice and with some data logging should be almost as good as a dyno tune.

Going to stay with the 5.4 as is for now. Wife also wants the shaker scoop if I can make it work (more cash) so I'm VERY excited now she's fully on-board for the project. she said she misses the extra power already. There was a small story about a shaker on an Ex I saw posted here awhile ago...anyone know where to find it?....I've searched and have come up empty

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey, did you ever complete the swap and fix all the problems?

Back