Should I sell or go Solid? Give me your .02 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should I sell or go Solid? Give me your .02

Dignan

Reaction score
City, State
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 5.0
I have a '91 XLT. I have had it since 94 and I really like it. I don't really need it, but I can't really get a lot of money out of it so maybe I should just keep it. I put a 700R4 transmission in it and that was about 4 grand just for parts, so I don't want to lose that investment by selling the explorer for next to nothing. Kelly Blue Book values it at $2000, but I've seen them around for less than a thousand. I've thought about pulling the transmission out and selling it separately (I don't even know what the interest in that would be), but I'd hate to do that since it runs very well right now. The only problems the explorer has is bad tie rod ends and ball joints. I could replace those and it would continue to be an excellent vehicle as it has been for so long, but I also have been wanting to do a SAS for a long time, so I don't really want to drop money into the front axle if I'm just going to replace it.

Option A: Sell it
Option B: Pull the transmission, sell it, then sell the explorer for parts or with a junkyard tranny.
Option C: Fix the tie rod ends and have a reliable second car.
Option D: SAS

So, what would you do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you wont get much for the 700r4,I say fix it,tie rods and ball joints arent that bad of a problem,never hurts to have an extra vehicle,one day you or somebody else may need to use it

Another thought on this subject is that I now have an 02 mountaineer. I definitely want a purpose built off-road vehicle to take to Moab and other places. The 91 has been there many times and been great, but the 02 has a V8 and would be nicer inside with the leather heated seats and stuff. Should I do the SAS on the old one, or swap solid axles front and rear on the 02?

don't bother trying to pull and sell the trans you put in it. it's now a "used" transmission anyway and won't be worth crap separately (even though its still good)

you could sell the truck whole i suppose.... if you find someone interested in it and willing to pay you enough to make it worth you're while..

If i were you, i'd probably just keep it... (then again i have like 10 vehicles because of this habit) or keep it and swap in larger axles if you want to.

i'm sure you already know what you want to do, you're just hoping to get some back-up before making you're final decision. right? (i know this is how i am sometimes, and i see it often on these forums)

don't bother trying to pull and sell the trans you put in it. it's now a "used" transmission anyway and won't be worth crap separately (even though its still good)

you could sell the truck whole i suppose.... if you find someone interested in it and willing to pay you enough to make it worth you're while..

If i were you, i'd probably just keep it... (then again i have like 10 vehicles because of this habit) or keep it and swap in larger axles if you want to.

i'm sure you already know what you want to do, you're just hoping to get some back-up before making you're final decision. right? (i know this is how i am sometimes, and i see it often on these forums)

Actually, no, I don't know what I want to do. I am willing to sell, but the feedback I'm getting about the transmission isn't promising. You're right about the "used" factor. I'm thinking it is not going to be worth it to me to sell it. I put too much into it at this point. So I guess I'm leaning toward keeping it unless the right buyer comes along.

You should go SAS on the '91. Stop the thoughts of swapping axles under that '02 right now. You have a solid truck in the '91, which is not to be confused with the reliable DD of the '02. Use the old '91 that you can't sell for much anyway and build that into the dedicated trail rig.

I agree with Freshmeat on that - both your X are reliable, and you want one for play and one for road, hell put a nice lift and tires on that good old betsy and make it your off road rig! I'm assuming it isn't too rusted as well? '91s in my country would be falling apart at this point, but I get from what you've been telling us that it's still in great shape in both mechanical & cosmetics

My .02, she's a keeper!

SAS it, that frame is the best for a solid swap anyways,, as the frame lends to it easily, compared to any of the generations,,,
look on the forum more 1st gen sas'ed rigs than any other,,

C or D--- (Have you tried selling the 700r4 as a bolt up kit for an explorer on here?)

c-d, keep that thing and sas the hell out of it

C or D--- (Have you tried selling the 700r4 as a bolt up kit for an explorer on here?)

Unfortunately, I can't sell on here since I haven't gone elite. If I do sell it, I would like to sell it as a package for an explorer or ranger as it has the output shaft for Borg Warner transfer case as well as adapter plates and throttle cable. I would have everything in the package that one would need to put it in an explorer with little trouble. I could then put an A4LD back in it and sell it for as close to blue book as possible.

It is in good shape. The only rust I have is the same spot everyone does on the rocker panel just in front of the rear wheels.

I like the idea of the SAS very much, but it costs money as opposed to making money by selling. I guess that is the curse of our obsession with off-roading, right? :)

Back