Diagnosing automatic locking hub problems | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Diagnosing automatic locking hub problems

I Stand Corrected

Hey Glenn and everyone who responded, I stand corrected my 97 Sport does have a live permanent axle. What I thought was vibration from the differential and D.Shaft spining was a bad "Hub Bearing" I got one at NAPA for about 130.00. Problem solved. Noise and vibation are gone. I decided to amuse myself and go to the dealer 1st, they wanted about 291.00., Yea. Anyway they said I got my money's worth out of the original factory one. I just hit 150,000 miles and they said the bearings usually go after about 110,000-115,000. They said the drivers side is probably right behind the passengers side I just replaced, and will be failing soon. Thanx much for all you help and feedback. I still say that the hubs should be locking and unlocking, that would save alot of fuel. I'm definetly considering the "Brown wire mod". Thanx : Lloyd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought that you had put a jeep transfercase in your explorer? If so the brown-wire-mod won't do anything for you.

Edit: I maybe mistaken your explorer for another one on here.

explorer hubs

just wondering i hav a 92 explorer an the automatic hub on the r side is gone im just wondering if the r&l sides are interchangable or do they have to be of the same side

just wondering i hav a 92 explorer an the automatic hub on the r side is gone im just wondering if the r&l sides are interchangable or do they have to be of the same side

They are identical and can be interchanged.

Please explain a little more about moving the spring mechanism in the hub. The only opening I see is where the ABS sensor came out and the screw hole that held the sensor in place.

Please explain a little more about moving the spring mechanism in the hub. The only opening I see is where the ABS sensor came out and the screw hole that held the sensor in place.

You are posting in a 1st gen forum (91-94). 95+ Explorers have full time HUBS which are always locked.

I know this Thread is old but i just clean my hubs and it says that there is some kind of spring in the hub well when I was cleanning it I did not see anything with a spring or that makes some kind of pressure and yes I cleaned them really well but there is a part that moves up and down but it doesnt have any kind of a spring or pressure that moves it it only goes up if I pull of turn the hub upside down now my question does that part has some kind of spring? are my hubs bad?...

I know this Thread is old but i just clean my hubs and it says that there is some kind of spring in the hub well when I was cleanning it I did not see anything with a spring or that makes some kind of pressure and yes I cleaned them really well but there is a part that moves up and down but it doesnt have any kind of a spring or pressure that moves it it only goes up if I pull of turn the hub upside down now my question does that part has some kind of spring? are my hubs bad?...

See the ring with the 3 prongs on it inside the hub? It should move up and down with tension pushing out towards the opening. A piece of 1.5 in. PVC pipe should work for something to put pressure on all three points. I used the end of a 2 inch shop vac hose.

I've not found any good info on what actually goes wrong when the hubs go bad.
But people do take the hubs apart & report broken springs. I've read that it takes an arbor press or a drill press to get them back together which I don't have. Or at least it's a hellva lot easier.

There are no rebuild kits unless you provide the parts. There is a bearing at the bottom of the hub which can be replaced.

A member here name of rocco123 says he has pics of the part that fails but he don't come round to often any more

hope this helps

See the ring with the 3 prongs on it inside the hub? It should move up and down with tension pushing out towards the opening. A piece of 1.5 in. PVC pipe should work for something to put pressure on all three points. I used the end of a 2 inch shop vac hose.

I've not found any good info on what actually goes wrong when the hubs go bad.
But people do take the hubs apart & report broken springs. I've read that it takes an arbor press or a drill press to get them back together which I don't have. Or at least it's a hellva lot easier.

There are no rebuild kits unless you provide the parts. There is a bearing at the bottom of the hub which can be replaced.

A member here name of rocco123 says he has pics of the part that fails but he don't come round to often any more

hope this helps

Thanks for the info I guess I just need to find another set of hubs :p

i just did this whole thing. my hubs weren't locking in ,so decided to clean them.jacked up one side. then the other. so i had the whole front end up. just using the jacks. stupid ,i know better.yep as i was cleaning the hubs ,a friend stops by and leans the exploder. yep! it fell to the ground. took me anther hour to get it up. so all you driveway mechanics out there make sure your using stands. don't want any one getting hurt out there. don't be stupid, be safe!

well after taking my first test drive on my new to me 94 xlt, everything was going good till i decided to try the 4x4 on the street (i know it was a bad idea), i started hearing a loud ticking noise from the drivers front tire. i pulled it back to my shop, took the tires off and the auto 4x4 hubs, looked at them and didnt see anything wrong right away, having never worked on this before and really not knowing how they work, i stuff them with bearing grease hoping this would help (another bad idea), when that didnt seem to have changed anything i decided it was time to consult the forum for advise (first good idea), this is were i found out that the hubs should not be greased, and that the 4x4 should not be used at all on pavement. after properly cleaning the hubs and reinstalled them, i was not happy to found that the noise was still present.

then i decided to gut out the hubs, i noticed a small c clip inside of it holding a bearing, i removed the gear, the 3 prong ring and the bearing, reinstalled it all back again and went for a test drive... no more noise!!!!!

now i kno that i wont be able to use the 4x4 in the mean time, but thats ok, this would be my excuse to get the manual hubs since they seem to be much better/stronger.

i dont think that anything should be damaged by what i did as long as i dont use the 4x4 right?????

comments on my little band aid????

...I decided to gut out the hubs, i noticed a small c clip inside of it holding a bearing, i removed the gear, the 3 prong ring and the bearing, reinstalled it all back again and went for a test drive... no more noise!!!!!

now i kno that i wont be able to use the 4x4 in the mean time, but thats ok, this would be my excuse to get the manual hubs since they seem to be much better/stronger.

i dont think that anything should be damaged by what i did as long as i dont use the 4x4 right?????

comments on my little band aid????

That is perfectly fine... removing the guts as you have indicated will prevent the cam from making contact.

perfect... just got back to work after taking the explorer home for the weekend, i put bout 60 miles on it, mostly on the freeway, and didnt seem to have any problems with the hubs... so far so good...

i have a 95 explorer xlt. i went off roading the other day and when i put it in 4wd i heard the t case clunk but when i was going through the mud, the only tire spinning was my rear passenger. what can i do to fix this?

i have a 95 explorer xlt. i went off roading the other day and when i put it in 4wd i heard the t case clunk but when i was going through the mud, the only tire spinning was my rear passenger. what can i do to fix this?

Ok, want to clarify your truck front end is squared? Because you have a 95 their were 1st and 2nd generations in that year, if you have the 2nd gen then you do not have auto locking hubs but have a Center Axle Disconnect axle that connects your axle shafts in the front for 4wd plus have a clutch driven transfercase. But if you have a 1st gen version then make sure the transfer case has shifted into 4wd and if you have auto locking hubs then you may want to look into cleaning them or replacing them.

it is a second gen

You are posting in a 1st generation forum (91-94). You will have better exposure if you post/use a thread in the 2nd Generation forum.

How important is it to mark the hub with a sharpie? When I took the front wheel off the hub came off with it, so I don't know the previous position. Shouldn't really matter anyways, right?

How important is it to mark the hub with a sharpie? When I took the front wheel off the hub came off with it, so I don't know the previous position. Shouldn't really matter anyways, right?

Marking the HUB is not necessary (both auto and manual hubs). For autohubs you just need to ensure the tabs within the hub fit/align with the indents on the inner cam assembly (This is the HUB's unlocked position). When you do the hub will sit flush against the rotor with no gap. If you tried to install the hub and it wouldn't sit flush against the rotor just remove the hub and rotate the tabs slightly and try again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any tips for cleaning the grease off of the spindle? I was going to spray it with brake cleaner and scrub with an old toothbrush...

Back