Rear Differential Bearing Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Differential Bearing Replacement

bikeguy

Reaction score
City, State
Traverse City, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer 2dr
I have a 00 Explorer 2Dr Sport, with the 4.0 OHV & all wheel drive. I don't know what rear axle/gearing I have (I know where the tag is to find out), but I do have a limited slip differential.

Here's what's happening:
From a stop, when I accelerate and make a turn (left or right) I am hearing a "rawr-rawr-rawr" noise from my rear end. I complete my turn and it goes away. Doesn't happen on wide open turns at speed - only from a stop under acceleration. I'm noticing that the noise is more pronounced when I've been driving for 20+ mins - guessing that this is due to the differential oil heating up.

A while back I had a 2dr 89 Bronco II that did the same thing, never did figure out what caused the issue - my previous 4dr 1991 Explorer never had these issues.

I took the truck to a local mechanic and I got a cryptic "your rear differential bearings need replaced" & the quote was about $600.

Is anyone out there experiencing the same issues or have any input on this topic? I've done some hunting on the forums and haven't come across anyone else with the same issues. Threads with pictures would be appreciated - I'd like to figure out what's going on, see some examples and try to complete the job myself if possible.

Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 00 Explorer 2Dr Sport, with the 4.0 OHV & all wheel drive.

No, Ford did not produce a Sport model with AWD. So, unless you made this truck an AWD yourself, (doubtful) you have the Auto 4-wd system. Big difference.

Here's what's happening:
From a stop, when I accelerate and make a turn (left or right) I am hearing a "rawr-rawr-rawr" noise from my rear end. I complete my turn and it goes away. Doesn't happen on wide open turns at speed - only from a stop under acceleration. I'm noticing that the noise is more pronounced when I've been driving for 20+ mins - guessing that this is due to the differential oil heating up.

This noise points to the clutch pack in the limited slip diff. When the clutch packs are dying they act this way. You MIGHT be able to lengthen the time that they will "hang in there" by changing your rear diff fluid now.
You will need 3 quarts of 75w-150 full synthetic oil. Add Ford friction modifier if the manufacturer of the fluid does not specifically state that the modifier is not needed. This is NOT to say that changing the oil will 100% work, but some people have had luck doing it.
You could also rebuild/replace your limited slip clutch pack. Do a google search for it, theres plenty out there (especially on the mustang forums). (CLICK HERE FOR ONE THREAD on the mustang forum, read post #6)
To be sure you have a limited slip diff, check your drivers door sticker, if the axle code starts with a "D" you do have a limited slip, if it starts with a "4" you do not.

Hey, MyPOS, Is that axle code info good for a '97? Mine says D4. I also mis-took the auto 4wd for a form of awd untill someone brought it to my attention. I have 9 vehicles with some form or another of 4wd or awd and seems like they're all different.

IF your noise issues are indeed limited-slip clutch-related, adding the friction modifier in addition to oil change, might just keep it quiet for a fairly long time. Assuming the noise is the important issue to you, rather than loss of limited-slip capability, that ability will simply become less and less, to the point where the axle will act as though it were not a limited-slip type at all. No harm, other than getting the vehicle stuck a bit more easily, will result from continued use of a worn-out limited-slip differential clutch. imp

Hey, MyPOS, Is that axle code info good for a '97? Mine says D4. I also mis-took the auto 4wd for a form of awd untill someone brought it to my attention. I have 9 vehicles with some form or another of 4wd or awd and seems like they're all different.

Yes, that axle code is good.
D4 = 3.73 limited slip.
See codes below:

Explorer
Door Code/open or limited slip/ratio
41....….…… Open 8.8"…...….. 3.27
42..…..……. Open 8.8".….…... 4.10
43..……..…. Open 8.8"…..…... 3.08
44..………... Open 8.8"….….... 3.73
45..…..……. Open 8.8".….…... 3.55
46..……..…. Open 8.8".…….... 3.73
D1..……..…. L/S 8.8".…...…... 3.27
D2...…..…… L/S 8.8".…...…... 4.10
D4...….……. L/S 8.8".…...…... 3.73
D5..……..…. L/S 8.8".……...... 3.55

thanx for the specs

Which rear diff do I have

Can any one tell me which diff I have, the tabs on the diff are difficult to read but I think : 3L 7388 6LI 4 - S613CR - Vin 1 FMDU346VUB30406 - mine is an import into Spain and does NOT have any sticker on inside of any door. The diff is whining bad and have changed oil + additive, done 100 mile no difference - do change diff bearings ? wheel bearings (seem ok)? crown and pinion ? or will just bearings do ? if it has a LSDiff do I change clutch pack ? Thanks:(

Can any one tell me which diff I have, the tabs on the diff are difficult to read but I think : 3L 7388 6LI 4 - S613CR - Vin 1 FMDU346VUB30406 - mine is an import into Spain and does NOT have any sticker on inside of any door. The diff is whining bad and have changed oil + additive, done 100 mile no difference - do change diff bearings ? wheel bearings (seem ok)? crown and pinion ? or will just bearings do ? if it has a LSDiff do I change clutch pack ? Thanks:(

holy thread necromancy, Batman.

3L 73 = 3.73 Limited Slip
assuming the axle has been untouched.

if it's whining, it's probably time for a rebuild of the differential.
or it could just be the pinion bearing, which wouldn't require a full rebuild.

but a worn out clutch pack wouldn't make a "whining" sound.

Back