• Register Today It's free!

Drive Cycle

tribal599

Reaction score
City, State
Bay Shore, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Mountaineer
Hello folks. I own a 99 Mountaineer and several weeks ago I bought a car scanner tool. Before I decided to disconnect the battery so that I can clean the posts for a clean connection, I scanned the computer, no DTC codes and all readiness monitors were solid icons. I knew that the PCM will have to relearn again once the battery leads were connected. In a six day span I have driven about 150 miles. Scanned again and this time the EVA icon is flashing but no DTC were detected. Setup my reader for Ford Enhanced Codes, selected Continous Test, the following code appeared P1000 OBD Readiness Test Not Completed. Select KOEO and get same message. Select KOER the idle goes up and down during this test and the message says No Enhanced DTC were detected.
I checked my manual for the drive cycle but only pertains to Check Engine Light scenerio in which I never had and the computer learning the Idle mixture all over once battery is connected. So my question is how do I remove the P1000 code and get the EVA monitor icon solid again? Thanks

I have all my I/M monitors up and running again...solid icons and no DTC or ABS codes. To get my EVA monitor to complete its test and P1000 code to disappear, the drive cycle consisted of:
1. Connecting your scanner
2. Cold engine start
3. IAT PID between 50-100 degrees
4. Gas in tank between 15-85%
5. On your scanner select Drive Cycle if available
6. Turn on engine, stop and go traffic, four idle periods of 30 seconds each and do it in a six minute span. (Just when you needed the red traffic light to stay red for 30 seconds it turns green quick of course lol! So I just pulled to the side of the road for my idling. While idling I was still in Drive gear not in Park. Don't know if that makes a difference.)
7. At this point your I/M monitors should be good to go and P1000 gone, but it didn't for me so the highway is my next step.
8. Go between 40-65 mph without sudden braking or accelerating. Keep it that way for 15 minutes. In my case it only took no more than 5 minutes before I checked my scanner and the screen said all I/M are good and P1000 gone.
Just bear in mind I did this drive cycle at 4am on my way to work with no traffic. If you do this during busy hours I suggest you have a second person monitoring your scanner so that you pay attention to the road.
The above drive cycle works. To get OBD Readiness Monitor and the code associated with it my manual said 10 minutes highway/20 minutes city traffic, leave engine off for 8 hours and do it again.

I was told my Ex needed to complete a "drive cycle" before they could do an emissions test for state inspection. I had removed the battery during some repairs. I did my normal drive which is a mixture of back roads and highway driving for a couple days and it did the trick.

Back