1998 explorer EB 5.0 spark plugs | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 explorer EB 5.0 spark plugs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You guys are ridiculous

Ok so all I'm reading from those threads is people on the forum who live in the rust belt having plugs rusted in because they haven't been touched in several years. Which is going to happen with any plug.

And your links outside of the forum all point to the known problems with the mod motors poor head design. I haven't seen one thing that says that the motorcraft spark plug design for the 302 is faulty.

What if i just stick some coat hangers through some wine bottle corks and shove those into the engine block? Does cork rust?

I don't care what you do. I was just saying that IMO any iridium/dual platinum spark plug, with the proper temp range, is better than the Motorcraft ones.
Motorcraft even doesn't make anymore the original spark plugs for 302, they have now an "improved" version - that should say all about this.

Great! But instead of wires, I'm going to twist the ends of all the hangers into a big knot then run a bare 0g wire from it straight across my engine bay (and then weaved through my headers, then following the exhaust back and wrapping around the gas tank, then over the river and through the woods) then straight to the battery for extra power. Any problems with this?

If you try coat hangers, I would suggest removing the painted coating first. The paint has metals in it that can combine with the oil and cause lube problems. Of course, now without the painted coating, you can get back into the rust problems. Maybe best to just never change plugs...

Lets see... every off site link you posted refers to aluminum heads of a completely different engine. Different metals coupled with the fact the plugs may not have received anti seize from the factory (this is not a problem with the plug) will create an insanely tight bond after enough miles. You're trying to prove your point by comparing apples to oranges.

Great! But instead of wires, I'm going to twist the ends of all the hangers into a big knot then run a bare 0g wire from it straight across my engine bay (and then weaved through my headers, then following the exhaust back and wrapping around the gas tank, then over the river and through the woods) then straight to the battery for extra power. Any problems with this?
Since you are using cork to plug the hole you will need to add a ground wire (since cork cannot ground to the block). I suggest grounding to the gas tank. Also make sure your coat hanger is coated in platinum, iridium, and uranium because whats really more important... low electrical resistance or sounding COOL AS #### and spending way too much money?

I wish there was more respect for differences of opinion when it comes to who thinks what. We're all never going to agree on much - if anything, but we can learn from each other's experience and each other's mistakes. Most of the oem parts are top notch but we've all learned [usually the hard way] that ford didn't have our bottom line in mind when it designed the explorer. The way some members defend the manufacturer makes me wonder who signs their check. I'm not trying to sound all Rodney King and "can't we all just get along" but there's alot of good info that gets posted on this site and just because we don't agree on one issue doesn't mean any more than just that. I am a fan of goodhearted sarcasm, though, and I like the one about the gas tank - very creative.

I wish there was more respect for differences of opinion when it comes to who thinks what. We're all never going to agree on much - if anything, but we can learn from each other's experience and each other's mistakes. Most of the oem parts are top notch but we've all learned [usually the hard way] that ford didn't have our bottom line in mind when it designed the explorer. The way some members defend the manufacturer makes me wonder who signs their check. I'm not trying to sound all Rodney King and "can't we all just get along" but there's alot of good info that gets posted on this site and just because we don't agree on one issue doesn't mean any more than just that. I am a fan of goodhearted sarcasm, though, and I like the one about the gas tank - very creative.

We are a friendly group here and get along well most of the time. Most of us have never seen/read anything like what sonic67 is claiming so we are just asking for proof which he claimed was everywhere, but has yet to provide one shred of.

And as far a plug material goes, copper is still the best. Manufacturers just don't use it because most people don't want to have to change spark plugs every 25k miles.

When you make statements like:
Motorcraft are the worst design spark plugs (possible)
people are not going to take that as opinion. Its going to invariably get taken as fact because of how strongly it is worded. If you look at all his posts he always posts in the same manner. This is fine if you can back up your statements with facts, but his 'facts' are merely anecdotal evidence. Its people like this that have people thinking their Tornado intake thing is actually helping them. Under normal circumstances it would be fit to simply correct their mistake, or discuss why they think the way they do. However, Sonic ignores factual evidence posted against his opinion and supports his thinking with non sense that include other factors more likely to cause the problem than his understanding.

If someone wants to habitually post bull **** and adamantly believes he is correct , well gosh darn it i'm going to do my best to make sure others at least think logically about his so called solutions. Read this post by Sonic:
1. The existing chip is there to prevent pollution. Messing with it is federal offence.
2. Even if you would have an "economical" chip, the performance would be dismissal and still won't give you much economy. Imagine a 1.5liter engine in your Explorer - you would think that would be economical, but it won't. You still have to accelerate a 2.2 ton vehicle at every stoplight. The 1.5 liter engine it would just work harder - maybe full throttle instead of 1/6 open... gas would still be needed to produce that acceleration/work.
The existing chip is there to prevent pollution and messing with it is a federal offense? What?
Why is economical in quotations like it is some make believe thing? Who HASN'T heard of economy settings on multi bank chips? And dismissal performance? What?

If I were to pop up in threads constantly saying that the world is flat and then posted a picture of my back yard as proof you''d invariably think I was an idiot, funny, or both. But you wouldn't defend me against others proving the world is actually round with hard facts. Until Sonic starts wording his posts differently or proving his words then I will be watching him to make sure some poor shmuck doesn't take his bad information without thinking logically about it.

You have no clue whatsoever what are you arguing about and when you cannot prove your point by arguments, you are switching to insults.

1. Iridum "fine tip" spark plugs performed better that nickel plated ones in ANY studies conducted. The fact that you don't know about them doesn't change the reality.
2. Read one more time the links on this site about 302 spark plugs breaking and rusting. There is no aluminum head there. And the fact that even latter, with aluminum heads they f..t up is proof that they don't know how to design spark plugs.
2. Emissions control is mandated by a federal law. Changing the settings is allowed to be done only in certain conditions. Again, if you didn't hear about it, or choose to ignore it, doesn't change the facts.

I gave you too much attention, to bad there is not a "ignore" option on this forum.

Well, so much for diffusing hostility with a little humor. Interesting debate though, it's making for a good read full of helpful information. I thank everyone who has contributed thus far.

Sorry about that.
I guess now you can go ahead and build those wine cork/wire hanger plugs since it was settled that it doesn't matter anyway what there are made of... :)

You have no clue whatsoever what are you arguing about and when you cannot prove your point by arguments, you are switching to insults.

1. Iridum "fine tip" spark plugs performed better that nickel plated ones in ANY studies conducted. The fact that you don't know about them doesn't change the reality.
2. Read one more time the links on this site about 302 spark plugs breaking and rusting. There is no aluminum head there. And the fact that even latter, with aluminum heads they f..t up is proof that they don't know how to design spark plugs.
2. Emissions control is mandated by a federal law. Changing the settings is allowed to be done only in certain conditions. Again, if you didn't hear about it, or choose to ignore it, doesn't change the facts.

I gave you too much attention, to bad there is not a "ignore" option on this forum.
Don't selectively address certain points and ignore the rest. that doesn't make the rest of your argument factual. But I'm done, I'm sure anyone reading this can now make an informed decision.

plugsy.jpg

I thought this picture I took pertained to this conversation... as you can see on the top we have an auto lite plug with the half thread, and the motorcraft unit under it with the full thread. Oh no, everyone with auto lites are dooooooomed!

On a side note, check out that sweet electrode on that motorcraft :cool:

I've done some homework on the Autolite offerings. There has been some good feedback from other Ford owners, but one thing I've noticed is that the plugs themselves don't seem much different than the Motorcrafts outside of the "Iridium Enhanced" components.

To the original poster, go with what people have been saying for years on this forum...go Autolite or Motorcraft. Produced by same company (Honeywell). Both will have great results in your truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I went with Motorcraft when I changed mine at 8x,x.. miles. I did have one break off when i was changing them. I wish I had a picture of my face when I pulled out the ceramic and the metal that fit in the socket. I was in tears when I thought I was fixin to pull a head. Luckily my ez-outs and pb blaster got it out. It was an eeerie feeling when it happened though.

Back