'11 Explorer Revealed!! | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'11 Explorer Revealed!!

I absolutely hate it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ill admit the vehicle look good i mean i love the headlights but i will not be buying a front wheel drive unibody vehicle they total way to easy and crumble in accidents. when i hit something or someone i want them to know it

Now that's ignorance if i've ever seen it.

ignorance huh. let me think bout that video both cars are UNIBODY

Ok Duggy, if you were referring to me, I wouldn't want you to call me ignorant for posting a video that illustrates technology. Plus, the GM isn't a unibody, it's an X frame. Check that out first. The X frame was a POS. But, the point was to illustrate that a new vehicle is designed to crumble, rather than jam everything into the driver. I could call ignorance by showing a video of an SUV crashing into a shorter vehicle with no side airbags and short 1,000 lbs. vs. the SUV, but I won't. It's technology. Things change, things get better.

Second, here ya go- frames vs. unibodies of our 2 most talked about trucks.

Unibody: 2007 Jeep Cherokee

Front: Good, Side: Good

Frame: 2002-2008 Explorers

Front: Good, Side: Acceptable

Make of it what you will.

Ok Duggy, if you were referring to me, I wouldn't want you to call me ignorant for posting a video that illustrates technology. Plus, the GM isn't a unibody, it's an X frame. Check that out first. The X frame was a POS. But, the point was to illustrate that a new vehicle is designed to crumble, rather than jam everything into the driver. I could call ignorance by showing a video of an SUV crashing into a shorter vehicle with no side airbags and short 1,000 lbs. vs. the SUV, but I won't. It's technology. Things change, things get better.

Second, here ya go- frames vs. unibodies of our 2 most talked about trucks.

Unibody: 2007 Jeep Cherokee

Front: Good, Side: Good

Frame: 2002-2008 Explorers

Front: Good, Side: Acceptable

Make of it what you will.

The side rating was marginal, not good.

coolo.jpg

lmao. only missing them 24s :p

I stand by my comment. You think you have any idea what goes into building a car? Not only just building a car, but engineering it to be safe, and selling hundreds of thousands of them to people who trust it to keep them safe? I'm sure you know more about that than Ford. It's so tiring to hear people saying they could have designed a better vehicle. If you really think that, then go start a company, build your ideal 5-8 passenger 4WD body-on-frame 30 MPG authentic SUV and prove Ford wrong. Please!

And don't get me wrong. Yes, I agree with everyone that I would PREFER more of a truck-like explorer for 2011. And I would PREFER that it look more like a truck too. But it's a Ford product, OF COURSE it's going to look similar to other Ford products!!! Stop saying it looks like an Edge, the visual similarity is what makes Ford products a FAMILY of products!

The side rating was marginal, not good.

My bad...

Here's the new '11 Jeep unibody- that's a tight vehicle...

Here's an interesting one:

and another cool video:

Those crash videos are so cool. The new Grand Cherokee does a nice job on the side crash. The rollovers were pretty wild.

They've got those unibody cars and SUVs stiff like a frame. I have to laugh at the explorer vs explorer video from some angles it kind of looks like the one of the Xs catches fire :D

ok heres what i ahve to say....i am not ingnorant by any means nor do ic are to be called it. secondly like the video of the vehicle in sand because they run rally cars in sand not on tuff trails like an suv is mostly used in. the automotive market has gotten so far away from its originally intended purpose built suv its not funny. take for example the international line of suvs from the late 60 to 70 no frilly cup holder no 4 cylinder soccer mom stuff just a really rugged suv that you can get more people in than a traditional truck. this is just another step away from an suv hell in the video they dont even call it an suv they call it a cross over. why should ford change a perfectly capable semi offroad vehicle with a nice options. (yes i too love my cupholders and nice stereo). and unibodys do crumble to take away from the impact of the passengers, but it also totals easier in small fender benders making the vehicle more suceptable to filling up land fills and all that eco crap people are talking bout now a days. give me a vehile like my 97 that can tow do weekend wheeling and still survive a crash. i am very attached to my vehicles and each one has a personallity. hell if i can safe a good explorer i will just ask spasticat on here how she feels bout this whole situation her opion of her blackjack truck is undeniably the best case of this

i cant type worth a darn thou

Well, what would you rather drive:

1) a vehicle that's cheap to fix in a fender bender, but severely injur or kill you in a big crash

or 2) a vehicle that's expensive to fix in a fender bender, but protects you from serious injuries in a major accident?

I pick 2) any day of the week. Go look on IIHS's website, almost all unibody vehicles out-score their body on frame counterparts, with a few exceptions. Take the crown vic for example, once the safest big sedan, now rates almost bottom of the pile.

Remember, unibody doesn't mean not tough and strong. Those big monster motorcoaches running down the highway, 54,000 lbs GVW, with 58 lives on board, are all unibody!

Well, what would you rather drive:

1) a vehicle that's cheap to fix in a fender bender, but severely injur or kill you in a big crash

or 2) a vehicle that's expensive to fix in a fender bender, but protects you from serious injuries in a major accident?

I pick 2) any day of the week. Go look on IIHS's website, almost all unibody vehicles out-score their body on frame counterparts, with a few exceptions. Take the crown vic for example, once the safest big sedan, now rates almost bottom of the pile.

Remember, unibody doesn't mean not tough and strong. Those big monster motorcoaches running down the highway, 54,000 lbs GVW, with 58 lives on board, are all unibody!

The motorcoaches...I learned something today :thumbsup:

Agreed, I would want something that is safe. Unibodies are now just as strong or stronger than frames as you said. Probably by the time you pay a lot to repair a unibody it'd be claimed as totaled. I will admit, my brother's bronco that he had, that thing had a tough frame. It took some major stress from off-roading, but the frame did get bent...slightly. :)

unibody on road frame on offroad

Found some cool 2011 explorers from Ford's Website:
Dearborn, Mich., Oct. 14, 2010 – The all-new Ford Explorer has been turning heads with its eye-catching, modern design, and things will be no different when it hits the floor of the SEMA (Specialty Equipment Market Association) show this year, which will be held Nov. 2-5 in Las Vegas.

“It’s so new and reinvented, and the styling is standout from the inside out,” said Craig Patterson, Ford Explorer marketing manager. “Explorer is the perfect choice for people to accessorize. Those who want to customize it are starting from a great base that is extremely well received, and that’s where the attraction lies.”

For the 2010 SEMA show, Explorer will take to the Ford stand along with customized versions of Ford Taurus SHO, Edge and Fusion Sport, as well as the all-new Lincoln MKX. The Explorers on the show floor will open up customers’ minds as to the possibilities that can be created with the all-new SUV.

“We designed three different images for the Explorers at SEMA,” said Melvin Betancourt, Ford specialty design manager. “The new Explorer resonates as a modern SUV, so the modifications play off all the great technology and features that the vehicle is equipped with.”

An Explorer customized by Funkmaster Flex and Team Baurtwell shows off the urban appeal of the new SUV, and comes standard with street cred inside and out. The look is highlighted by three-piece forged billet wheels, which are complemented by 24-inch Cooper tires. Baer brakes provide the stopping power.

The design that sets this Explorer apart starts with the exterior, with custom touches from Team Baurtwell and Funkmaster Flex including custom logos. The interior offers Katzkin two-tone leather seats with custom interior accents and Funkmaster Flex logos. A Sony Xplod audio system ensures customers have the ultimate listening experience.
1014sema_1.jpg

Another Explorer concept, designed by Galpin Auto Sports, takes a vehicle with luxury appointments and makes it into an ultra-luxurious ride that even James Bond would enjoy. Using the character as their inspiration, the Galpin team used 24-inch wheels, custom silver paint on the exterior and modified exterior light treatments to convey that image.

The custom interior shows off its luxury side with a leather-trimmed headliner that has suede running down the center, a look that’s replicated on the seat inserts. An iPad pops up from the second-row console, and is viewable in either landscape or portrait mode.

“This is a luxury, high-end vehicle that serves multiple purposes,” said Tedros Mengiste of Galpin Auto Sports. “The Galpin Auto Sports Explorer is at home going off-road or transporting you to exclusive events. It meets your discerning expectations, and does it with style and substance.”
1014sema_2.jpg

CGS Performance Products’ take on Explorer shows off what a luxury vehicle for an active customer looks like. The look runs throughout the monochromatic silver Explorer, and is completed by two carbon fiber mountain bikes on the roof rack.

“This SUV is all about outdoor adventure and doing it in comfort,” said Casey Scranton, president, CGS Performance Products. “This customer can use the vehicle every day and will have no problem taking it camping or kayaking on the weekends.”

The luxury details are evident in the built-in video screens in the headrests, 22-inch silver wheels and the complete custom leather interior that’s designed to resemble the links on a watch band. A CGS cat-back exhaust provides more power, a throatier sound, and even improved fuel economy.
1014sema_3.jpg

I like #1 the best

Link to the article:
THE THREE FACES OF FORD EXPLORER: LUXURIOUS, ADVENTUROUS AND URBAN, ALL ON DISPLAY AT SEMA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Talking my mom into getting on. Can't go wrong with a ford! Best thing you can get!

Back