Mechanix's going solid. | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mechanix's going solid.

I thought it would be a good time to start this thread. I have decided to go SAS in the Explorer. I bought a 79 Ford F-150 3 days ago for the donor vehicle. Up front I will be running a Dana HP44 with 5.13's and some kind of a locker. I have yet to decide if I want a locker or a spool, I am leaning towards the locker. As for the rear I am going with a 9" Ford from the same truck. I will be running 5.14 gears and spool for ease of maintance and to save some cash. I will be staying full width. My plan is to have this all done in 3 months. I will be posting pics as I go. I welcome all ideas, comments and suggestions.

Eric

I have been working on the brakes. Still having issues with a very low pedal when the brakes are applied, but only when the truck is running, when it is off the pedal is hard. It has gotten me baffled to no end. I ordered some new shock mounts for the rear, ditched the old cross member in place will be a 2" square tube with the shocks mounted to it.

Eric

So back to square one. Still soft pedal when I start the truck. I am running one ton Chevy calipers on the rear and Dana 44 calipers on the front, for the fronts I don't think I upgraded them to a larger one but I might have. I am thinking the master cylinder that I am using might not be large enough to put out the volume needed to compress the calipers. Going to research to see if I can find a larger master cylinder for this. Also just for giggles, the rear brake line is the one furthest from the booster, I could have gotten them mixed up when I redid some of the lines?

Edit: I am using a master cylinder out of a 96 Explorer with disc front and rear, just so ya know.

Eric

After bleeding 1/2 gal of brake fluid though the system I have decided that the huge calipers are just too big for the stock master cylinder. I am looking into a 1 ton Ford mid 90's version to see if that will work. I think I just need more volume. I wish I could find the spec on the calipers and the master cylinders to see what one would actually work for my application but I don't think the specs. are just out there. Will keep updating as I go.

Eric

Back