Hella VS KC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hella VS KC

I'm looking to replace my 4 roof rack lights. I'm currently running Walmart specials up there, and they're borderline useless. Despite sealing them with silicone and upgrading the bulbs, they're fogged, weak, and need to be replaced.

I run PIAAs on my bumper and LOVE those lights and the quality, but they don't make any 5x7 square lights, so my choice is now between 4 Hellas or 4 KCs. I run 3 KCs in my front bumper slot and like them. No experience with Hella. Can anyone vouch for the longevity of the Hella's? Or for that matter, the KCs (I've only had mine for about a year and a half).

These are the two kits I'm choosing between:

http://www.kchilites.com/lights/57-series

http://www.myhellalights.com/index....-lamps/550-series/hella-550-driving-lamp-kit/

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just personal preference, but I have never had problems w/Hella. However I have had KC slim lights and they were OK also.
I think Hella is better quality & better beam pattern, but that is only my opinion.

Running 4 hella 500's. Never had any moisture in them..always worked perfect. The covers look cooler IMO too. :) If you want something different, give IPF a try.

n645418543_170776_1897.jpg

The Hella 550 is a very good choice for a rectangular driving light.

KCs are good lights, but they are better for their daylighters.

There are even better lights out there (mostly better due to having an all-metal housing), but you probably won't find a better retail deal on a pair of the same size lights other than the 550s with similar light output and lens quality. The 550's are some of, if not THE most popular rectangular lens lamp, for both fog and driving applications.

If you want to know how good Hellas are, they are BETTER than the PIAAs. Way better.

That said, the 550's might be a little large to run 4 wide on the roof rack. Hella does make a similar 450 that's just a little smaller if needed.

As for the walmart lights, I've actually been surprised by the usefulness of the some of the Pilot brand lamps. The bulbs and harnesses they come with are junk, and they don't have the best mounting hardware, but for a (thin) metal housing, a glass lens and a reflector, they are nice for the price, especially if you're running them on the basis they might get smashed.

I'm running two of the Pilot PL-1055C driving lights, and just by modifying the bracket and sealing up the rubber bulb boot with silicone, and using a Sylvania bulb, they have had zero issues despite being mounted in a location that gets drenched anytime it rains. If I were to mount four roof rack lights, I would probably use four of these since their output is sufficient and they have a great low-profile size.

You will of course get MUCH better light output with a light like the Hellas, due to the larger size, and the higher quality reflector and lens. The Hellas also come with decent quality hardware and wiring along with relays so you can wire them up properly.

My only other suggestion would be to look into the round Hella 500 series lights. Not only because you get better light output from a round reflector, but both the regular 500 and 500FF free-form are on clearance at quite a few walmart stores for around $20-30 for the pair.

Great post Anime, thanks for all the info. Appreciate all the responses. I'm going to measure out and see if the 550s work. My Walmart's are pretty wide. I'll be going with the Hellas if they fit.

I've run KC Daylighters for years with very good results. Had 'em on all my Explorers, my Samurai, and now my F-150 and my Focus (yes, my Focus). They have a 23 year warranty and have stood behind the warranty when I needed it (had one housing rust after about 5 years and it was replaced with no hassle)

I've owned numerous pairs of Hella 500s. Right before I sold my Explorer I had four of them bolted onto the front of my brush guard. I never put them on my roof, but back when I had roof lights they were the exact same ones you have on your truck now. Four of those baja specials from WalMart.

The Hella 500s are very lightweight and might not do too well mounted on your roof if you're roaming around in the woods a lot with all the low-hanging tree limbs and what-not. Although, Hella does offer a transparent hard-plastic shield or a black PIAA-style grille that snaps onto the front of their lenses much like the stock opaque covers the lights come boxed with.

Since I've been such a long-time fan of Hellas, I hate to give my vote to the KC Daylighters for an application such as this. KC specializes in long-range and those lights are ideal for mounting on top of your roof. A buddy of mine has a Cherokee with four 100-watters on a CARR lightbar and they are unbelievable. That, and they can take all the abuse of being on your roof; Metal or Stainless steel housing and heavy-duty thick glass lense.

Before you settle on the KC's, I'd also look into a set of Pro Comp Explorer 130's. I still own a set of these and they almost give the KC's a run for their money. They look almost identical, but the Pro Comps are much more vibration-resistant, because they feature a shock-absorbing gasket around the lens, and double anti-vibration mounts around the bolts. They aren't kidding, either. When I had these mounted on my Explorer the lights did not shake AT ALL.

As of right now, my new obsession is LightForce. I finally was able to acquire a set of these and cannot wait until I am able to mount them on my new truck (I have to get some cash for a brush guard first). They are the king of all off-road/performance lighting. Check out their website, and you'll see why. The ones I own are a pair of the 170 Strikers and I've been drooling over them ever since I bought them.

Good luck with whatever you choose. As you can see, auxiliary lighting is a small passion of mine :D

y'all are lucky, I can't find Hella's in any of the wal-marts here.

I've owned numerous pairs of Hella 500s. Right before I sold my Explorer I had four of them bolted onto the front of my brush guard. I never put them on my roof, but back when I had roof lights they were the exact same ones you have on your truck now. Four of those baja specials from WalMart.

The Hella 500s are very lightweight and might not do too well mounted on your roof if you're roaming around in the woods a lot with all the low-hanging tree limbs and what-not. Although, Hella does offer a transparent hard-plastic shield or a black PIAA-style grille that snaps onto the front of their lenses much like the stock opaque covers the lights come boxed with.

Since I've been such a long-time fan of Hellas, I hate to give my vote to the KC Daylighters for an application such as this. KC specializes in long-range and those lights are ideal for mounting on top of your roof. A buddy of mine has a Cherokee with four 100-watters on a CARR lightbar and they are unbelievable. That, and they can take all the abuse of being on your roof; Metal or Stainless steel housing and heavy-duty thick glass lense.

Before you settle on the KC's, I'd also look into a set of Pro Comp Explorer 130's. I still own a set of these and they almost give the KC's a run for their money. They look almost identical, but the Pro Comps are much more vibration-resistant, because they feature a shock-absorbing gasket around the lens, and double anti-vibration mounts around the bolts. They aren't kidding, either. When I had these mounted on my Explorer the lights did not shake AT ALL.

As of right now, my new obsession is LightForce. I finally was able to acquire a set of these and cannot wait until I am able to mount them on my new truck (I have to get some cash for a brush guard first). They are the king of all off-road/performance lighting. Check out their website, and you'll see why. The ones I own are a pair of the 170 Strikers and I've been drooling over them ever since I bought them.

Good luck with whatever you choose. As you can see, auxiliary lighting is a small passion of mine :D

Another great post. Thanks much. I will look into LightForce and ProComp. As for the Hella covers, are you able to find a link for the snap on PIAA-style grilles for the 550 & 450? I was looking for that exact thing and couldn't find anything. I think it might get the "cover them or you're gonna get a ticket" cops off my ass, while still allowing me to use them without hopping out of the truck to remove the solid covers.

Another great post. Thanks much. I will look into LightForce and ProComp. As for the Hella covers, are you able to find a link for the snap on PIAA-style grilles for the 550 & 450? I was looking for that exact thing and couldn't find anything. I think it might get the "cover them or you're gonna get a ticket" cops off my ass, while still allowing me to use them without hopping out of the truck to remove the solid covers.
The Hella 500's come with covers, but if you're like me and hate covering your lights because you use them so much...yet you still want some protection for them...then you should pursue a pair of Hella grille covers or Hella transparent shields. Here are some links to both:

Grilles:
http://www.amazon.com/Hella-165530801-500FF-Protective-Grille/dp/B001O085G6

Transparent shields:
http://www.amazon.com/Hella-Model-500-Clear-Cover/dp/B0002M9Y2Q

Mind you, both of those covers are for the Hella 500/Hella 500FF

Hope this helps.

The Hella 500's come with covers, but if you're like me and hate covering your lights because you use them so much...yet you still want some protection for them...then you should pursue a pair of Hella grille covers or Hella transparent shields. Here are some links to both:

Grilles:
http://www.amazon.com/Hella-165530801-500FF-Protective-Grille/dp/B001O085G6

Transparent shields:
http://www.amazon.com/Hella-Model-500-Clear-Cover/dp/B0002M9Y2Q

Mind you, both of those covers are for the Hella 500/Hella 500FF

Hope this helps.

I found those, the problem is I can't find any of the grille-style covers for the 450 or 550 series. :(

And the LightForce lights look really nice, but they only sell round, and I really prefer the square for the roof, so I think it's still going to be between the Hellas or KCs.

As of right now, my new obsession is LightForce. I finally was able to acquire a set of these and cannot wait until I am able to mount them on my new truck

Lank, did you install these yet? If so, post pics, give impressions, PLEASE. I have searched and searched and not many people run Lightforce. I am also looking at the 170's, but am hoping someone has some pics/reviews of them. Thanks.

Oh yeah, I tried to PM you, your box is full. :)

Lank, did you install these yet? If so, post pics, give impressions, PLEASE. I have searched and searched and not many people run Lightforce. I am also looking at the 170's, but am hoping someone has some pics/reviews of them. Thanks.

Oh yeah, I tried to PM you, your box is full. :)

Yeah, I just emptied it. My bad.

And no, these have been sitting in my garage since I bought them in April. I haven't had the money to buy a brush guard/light bar to mount them on. My birthday is right around the corner, and I plan on putting any money I receive towards a brush guard and in turn mounting the lights.

I'm frustrated I still haven't had a chance to install them. I know they are going to blow me away once they're finally in.

Yeah, I just emptied it. My bad.

And no, these have been sitting in my garage since I bought them in April. I haven't had the money to buy a brush guard/light bar to mount them on. My birthday is right around the corner, and I plan on putting any money I receive towards a brush guard and in turn mounting the lights.

I'm frustrated I still haven't had a chance to install them. I know they are going to blow me away once they're finally in.

Uggh. Eventually!!! There is a great video on youtube, I'll try and link it, which shows the Strikeforce 170's and 240's. Read the caption which says when each light is turned on, and wow, they truly put most lights to shame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBlEeTi04DA

jus wounderin whats yall opinion on the hella 500's? which ones do yall like better? the 500's with the fun cube?or the 500ff's?

Uggh. Eventually!!! There is a great video on youtube, I'll try and link it, which shows the Strikeforce 170's and 240's. Read the caption which says when each light is turned on, and wow, they truly put most lights to shame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBlEeTi04DA

Holy crap. I want them now! I really wish they made them square. Are there any comparable lights to those in terms of sheer light output and quality? They make my PIAAs look like playthings. :eek:

Holy crap. I want them now! I really wish they made them square. Are there any comparable lights to those in terms of sheer light output and quality? They make my PIAAs look like playthings. :eek:

I haven't been able to find any comparable lights in terms of output. Looking at the price tag, I think they're in a league of their own. The Striker 170's seem to be the best bang for buck, as the 240's are much more expensive.

Also, be prepared to spend an additional $60 on the wiring harness, as no wires are included.

Now we're just waiting on Lank to install and post videos. :)

Wow, that's some serious loot. I'm going to probably end up passing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll also probably never buy them, too much, but judging from that video and other pics on the internet, they do seem like the top dog.

Back