Hella VS KC | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hella VS KC

I'm looking to replace my 4 roof rack lights. I'm currently running Walmart specials up there, and they're borderline useless. Despite sealing them with silicone and upgrading the bulbs, they're fogged, weak, and need to be replaced.

I run PIAAs on my bumper and LOVE those lights and the quality, but they don't make any 5x7 square lights, so my choice is now between 4 Hellas or 4 KCs. I run 3 KCs in my front bumper slot and like them. No experience with Hella. Can anyone vouch for the longevity of the Hella's? Or for that matter, the KCs (I've only had mine for about a year and a half).

These are the two kits I'm choosing between:

http://www.kchilites.com/lights/57-series

http://www.myhellalights.com/index....-lamps/550-series/hella-550-driving-lamp-kit/

Thoughts?

Holy crap. I want them now! I really wish they made them square. Are there any comparable lights to those in terms of sheer light output and quality? They make my PIAAs look like playthings. :eek:
You can't be so dead set on square housings! The best lights WILL be circular...you get better performance with a circular housing!

I just don't like the look of circular on the roof rack. :(

The other issue is that, at $200 a pair plus wiring, I'd be looking at over $500 for 4 roof rack lights that I would have to keep covered to not get a ticket from the local Officer Hardass. I'd be able to use they, MAYBE, a handful of times a year. Doesn't seem worth it to me, sadly.

I just don't like the look of circular on the roof rack. :(

The other issue is that, at $200 a pair plus wiring, I'd be looking at over $500 for 4 roof rack lights that I would have to keep covered to not get a ticket from the local Officer Hardass. I'd be able to use they, MAYBE, a handful of times a year. Doesn't seem worth it to me, sadly.
I'm not saying buying a super-expensive, high-end set of lights for your basket is your only option, I'm just saying you're gonna get better performance bar-none with lights that have a circular housing, regardless of cost or make. Not to mention, since you are mounting them so high you're gonna want lights with great output range...another plus for mounting circular lights. Just my two cents. :thumbsup:

Back