Newbie with questions | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Newbie with questions

Wow that much money , i was expecting maybe a few hundred , then i guess maybe its just best if i just walk away

Unless i get lucky and i find the parts cheaply , i know a few guys around here that i can get parts cheaper , ill see what happens

Thanks for all the info

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it's Tousley Ford that gives like 10% over cost on oem ford parts if you buy online or ask for it when you call. I just put tensioners in mine at 100K and the noise cleared up and it runs great. For 500 bucks you've got options. I'd throw an 00M12 kit at it and order the rear tensioner and washer at the same time to save shipping costs. I think the kit is like 30-40 bucks and the rear tensioner is maybe another 20-25. It comes with new intake gaskets that you probably need anyway. It's an easy fix and won't cost much. If you have to do the chains and guides someday, oh well, you'll be more familiar with the layout and there's more than enough info here to show you how.

Well i got a guy who will give me the parts at cost and with parts and labor he is saying $600 to $700

One thing he said was , is the problem with the guides from a certain plant or on every 97 to 99 explorer with an sohc engine

Good price!

If you've found a mechanic who will replace the left and right cassettes, the primary tensioner and guide, and the hydraulic tensioners with Ford parts for $600 to $700 I think that is a very good price. The engine has to be pulled to replace the right cassette. Ford parts are more expensive than aftermarket parts but in my opinion are worth the extra cost. I believe Ford continued to upgrade the guides and tensioners thru 2001. The only aftermarket cassettes I would consider purchasing are offerred by Cloyes. According to one of their engineers their kits include guides manufactured by the same company that supplies Ford.

Make sure that your mechanic has the OTC 6488 timing tool kit that costs around $200 and that he has done the timing chains on other SOHC V6s before. Some mechanics without the tool set and the experience have timed the camshafts 180 degrees off and damaged the engine after only a few minutes of running.

Well i thought more about it , and as of right now im probably gonna pass on that explorer , but i did see a 96' explorer today that was very nice and so i hope it works out

One question i have with it , its a 96 like i said and the odometer got stuck , he said he has been keeping track of the mileage , so whats the cause of the odometer sticking because i have seen a few vehicles with that issues , do i need a new odometer or what

Back