Sputtering after hard acceleration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sputtering after hard acceleration

xdviper

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
It happened just last night, after cruising at 50mph on the highway, I decided to go head to head with a "riced up civic" I punched the gas pedal, sped up to about 80mph and blow the civic away :roll: but I noticed the engine misfiring right after.
I got off the exit, and when I come to complete stops at traffic lights, it sputter and stutter for a couple times and then idle normally and then do it again. When it's on Park or Neutral it'll just idle just fine, no misfirings or anything of that nature. Again I tested it out with pulling the wire out of the distributor and tried. Everything seemed fine, just it only starts to sputter after coming to a complete stop, it will idle fine at first then 2-3 seconds later it will start and then idle fine.

I had the codes read for the check engine light last week, and it's only the EGR valve and a O2 sensor, but I am taking it autozone to get the codes read today.
I'm thinking it's a plug that needs to be changed... but how do I find out which one is misfiring, and also could it be something else?

Sorry for the long post, thanks.

Hi! Before you replace any parts, we should probably look a little more closely at your trouble codes. I would be more suspect of the DPFE rather than the EGR valve for example. - and unfortunately the typical parts counterperson tends to diagnose a lean or rich mixture code as a bad O2 sensor. I know. I used to be one ;)
What were the trouble codes?

I just have a suggestion to make. Replacing one plug at a time is fine if your super tight on money, but your really best off replacing them all. If you can I'd also suggest just doing the wires at the same time. It will save you a headache from it happening with a different cylinder later on and then you know the mileage on them too.

or maybe a vacuum line popped off? I've had that happen in the past

Back