I cannot get my fuel filter off, with tool | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I cannot get my fuel filter off, with tool

MossyOak07

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I can't get this fuel filter off for the life of me. I have the tool I've insterted it around the fuel line. I've pushed into the coupling looking part of the fuel line, it pushes in. I've pushed the line towards the fuel filter while trying to slide this tool into the line. I've tried holding the filter while trying to get it to come off. NOthing is working. Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Keep trying. Mine was a PITA too, but it finally came off after LOTS of elbow-grease. - make sure you relieve fuel system pressure first if you haven't already or you might get a bath.......

Spray the hose connections with a little lubricant...Then push the line towards the filter as you push the aluminum tool into the hose connection then pull the filter away from the hose connection...

Which disconnect tool are you using? I recommend the aluminum tool over the plastic tool since the plastic tool tends to deform under lots of stress...

Since I lubed the hose connections, I can remove the filter with little effort...

I did use also the aluminum tool. Push the tool and after that pull the line out (with the tool), not the filter.
I would also suggest to park the car on incline, with the gas tank below the fuel filter level.

I am trying to use the plastic one, and am now regretting it. Does anyone that has used this one know if the sleeve part has to go completely into the fitting. Meaning so that basically the outer ring that looks like a washer sits flat against the coupler? This is really starting to aggravate me. I've actually left it alone for now and moved on to some other projects i want to do to it.

Fuel Filter Removal

mossyoak07 - Man I have I been where you are. I tried using the metal tool with no success. I ended up buying the plastic tool after someone on the forum suggested it would be better. Here is what I found. Once you insert the tool push hard and then pull the fuel line, not the filter, the other direction. It will come out so easy you will be kicking yourself for working on it so long.

I also used the metal tool & had to push HARD to get the tool all the way in. I also opened the gas cap & the fuel line under the hood. You will never get it off if the lines are still pressurized!

mine was a nightmare. i ended up having to use a small flat head screwdriver to wedge it off the connection (was original w/200k on it) after trying all three tools(plastic, cheap alum., and the good quality set).. while braking one in the process (< cheap alum. one).

Mine had 190k miles on it!

Push in towards the filter first, then pull out. Keep trying, it'll break free eventually.

i had the same problem with my 2000 ford explorer ended up after two days of trying to get it off, tons of penetrant, and different tools: bringing it to a shop they only charged me 20 dollars and had to cut out the clip inside and put a new one in. hope that helps you.

you need to take the pressure off the lines. put your plastic tool in place and push the hose end into the filter while also pushing the remover into the hose. i did it on a friends filter in the autozone parking lot while it was hot and leaking fuel due to a hole in the filter.

I did have the pressure off. I unhooked the inertia switch and tried starting it a few times. I had the front end propped up, gas cap off. I tried it all. I was getting so pissed off I just gave up for the day. I will be trying again tomorrow but who knows. Nothing has gone right this weekend.

You can get more pressure on your plastic tool by taking a 10mm or 12mm open end wrench and slip it between the plastic and the filter, using it as a "lever" move it back and forth parrallel to the filter. This will further press it into the hose.

Once you insert the tool push hard and then pull the fuel line, not the filter

Mine only started to disconnect after I had the tool in place when I pulled on the fuel line near the connector. It took a lot of force to start budging. As in, straining with all my might force.

Back