• Register Today It's free!

P0302 & P0174, Rough Idle

1998Explodasport

Reaction score
City, State
Brockton, Ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
So I am having a real hard time getting rid of these codes in my 2001 SOHC Sport. I bought the truck not running and after fixing a million things on it I can't seem to get rid of the last two codes, cylinder 2 misfire and bank 2 running lean.

I changed all the plugs and wires, checked compression on cylinders 1-3 and they were all around the same. I swapped out a coil I had that worked fine when pulled out of another Explorer. I replaced upper and lower intake gaskets and I replaced cylinder 2 & 3 injectors. New fuel pump and filter and fuel pressure stays steady at 65 psi.

Both these codes seem to come right up after clearing them but it varies on which one pops up first.

When I am driving it seems to have plenty of power and doesn't seem to miss at all but when at idle it misses badly. I can definately see and increase in fuel trims on bank 2 over bank 1 both short and long term.

I have been trying to figure out why I have code P0174 but I am now focusing on my misfire first, where they are different banks I doubt they are related but I am hoping they are.

Not sure if this is related but on my NGS scanner I can monitor the profile ignition pickup (PIP) and not sure what this means but it switches from off to on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Someone just give me some idea on what my next part that goes into this **** box should be. Crank sensor is going in tomorrow, I hope that does some good.

Anyone have any ideas, I am still getting the P0174 code. The P0302 hasn't come back in a few days. It still runs rough at idle. I replaced both upstream H02 sensors with no change. I can still see the difference in fuel trims between banks 1 and 2 and for some reason the computer wants to dump fuel into bank 2. I definately have no Vacuum leak so I am at a loss here.

I also have a 2001 Sport and even though I haven't check my codes, mine sounds like yours. Runs fine but idles rough. I also have replaced the intake gaskets, which helped with cold idle, adjusted the TPS, cleaned my MAF and IAC, cleaned the throttle body. I haven't had much time to diagnose anything since I replaced the jackshaft chain tensioner, guide, right cassette and tensioner. Maybe one of us can figure this out and help out the other.

So far from what I can gather from older threads on here is that the EGR tube that runs into the intake doesn't fit in properly and may require 2 o-rings to seal it where it won't leak. It kind of makes sense in my situation because it is bank 2 that is running lean but I can see that bank 1 is running lean also but not as bad as bank 2 so the computer is able to compensate for the lean condition in bank 1 because the major leak is actually on bank 2. I also noticed that when I did my intake gaskets on my 98 SOHC I had a difficult time removing the intake from the EGR tube however on this truck it came off and went on without any difficulty.

I also have a few other things I might try as a last resort. I already replaced the crank sensor so I was going to try a new TPS tomorrow and if that doesn't help I was going to try a new cam sensor. I am just so frustrated with this thing it really is driving me crazy. Everytime I think I fixed the problem I hook the scanner up and there is P0174 every time. All I do is think about what I am doing wrong with this truck at times I can't even sleep lol and as soon as Iwake up I am right back at the thing.

When I did my intake gaskets I did not remove the tube from the intake. I unbolted the tube at the EGR valve since I could get to the bolt that holds the bracket onto the head. The tube was undisturbed and I didn't even move it when I bolted everything back up. Could try spraying some WD40 or carb cleaner up into the intake where the tube slides in while the truck is idling. If it's leaking, you're idle will change as the fluid will be pulled into the motor. Might try that on all the vacuum connections and intake gasket areas just to rule them out.

Back