How many miles on your 3RD GEN! orig. tranny???? | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles on your 3RD GEN! orig. tranny????

WOAH, WOAH WOAH..... let me get this right.... a 3rd generation 2002 4 door explorer?!?!

Yes, a third gen 2002 XLS 4 door explorer. I now have 224k miles on it:). I am getting ready to have the tranny flushed with amsoil and the bands tightened when they change the tranny filter (before flushing of course;).
I believe I am going to go ahead and get another set of Michelins put on it too. This will be the 4th set of tires on it. 2 sets of Michelins and 1 set of goodrich. I wouldn't hit a dog in the rear with the goodrich. Too noisy:p:
I think I can get 300k out of it before I get another Ford.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

80,000 out of ours. It blewup, torrington bearing let go and left a mess. $3,000 including hard parts. We never towed anything, had at least two fluid changes, one at 40K and another at 65K. (purchased used with 35K).

The solonoid bushings were pretty decent the bands were in good shape.

The rebuild included the bronze solonoid inserts, a rebuild (new bands) and hard parts.

(no warranty: :( )

I posted on this thread back on 4/22/08 when I had 101,500 miles on my original tranny with no maintenance. Well now I have 151,750 and the tranny is still going strong with no maintenance. There is not a tranny dip stick to check the ATF and no drain in the tranny pan. I am just going to drive it till it dies. My Explorer is an '03 Limited 4x4 with the 4.6.

I posted on this thread back on 4/22/08 when I had 101,500 miles on my original tranny with no maintenance. Well now I have 151,750 and the tranny is still going strong with no maintenance. There is not a tranny dip stick to check the ATF and no drain in the tranny pan. I am just going to drive it till it dies. My Explorer is an '03 Limited 4x4 with the 4.6.

Thats brave! But I'm glad someone else is doing the same thing I am. 120k on my 02 with no maintenance to the tranny. I don't dare touch it for fear of something going horribly wrong afterwards. Right now its still a smooth as the day i bought it (thankfully) and if it ain't broke, don't fix it! (insert ridicule about not maintaining a transmission here...)

Around 150K on an '03 5R55E. Original trans, flushed a couple of times, never any codes tripped. I *think* there's a shift flare issue and since we've had it with around 15K miles on it, it's had the park-to-reverse or drive clunk (diff replaced at <75K miles). Otherwise works great and will shortly receive many of the valvebody upgrades outlined in the driveline section.

Wish I could say the 4R55E(s) in my '95 were as reliable;)

i have a 02 xlt with 108,000 mls the od light came on and no 2nd gear or od took to a friend that said 2nd and 5th servo rod broke and can be fixed with out removing tranny from truck if you find a real honest mechanic. aamco and edwards will not do this work becaues they dont make a lot of money on it by leaving tranny in truck. i found a good ford dealership in franklin indiana and they understand some of us people dont have the money for a new transmission.

Bits of Bronze

......The solonoid bushings were pretty decent the bands were in good shape.
The rebuild included the bronze solonoid inserts, a rebuild (new bands) and hard parts.
(no warranty: :( )

Hey, above caught my eye! '04 Explorer, 96K, 5R55S trans., O/D light started flashing while we were on vacation in Laughlin, NV. I noted symptom of eng. rpm increase with slight pedal pressure @50mph, guessed Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) was not engaging. Worried, Ford Dealer pulled code P-1744 "TCC solenoid error or stuck OFF". He recommended replace transmission, based on high miles, or try flushing it ($300); I gave him the $75, and we drove it back home to Missouri, 1600 miles, light flashing all the way!

Now, I believe in fixing things when possible, like the guy in Indiana (my wife's from there), rather than throwing them away. So I did the tests I knew how, lacking the big diagnostic equipment. Checked solenoid coil resistance and resistance to ground, both good. 12V. applied to the solenoid at it's terminals produced audible "click". Now suspecting the clutch itself, I grounded the proper PCM lead up in the eng. compartment, with eng. idling, to see if clutch would apply (eng. would stall), thus proving computer at fault, result negative.

I ordered a new solenoid block, meanwhile today I took down the valve body to check TCC-related valves for possible sticking. The pics show what I found sitting on top of the valve body as I lowered it out: small pieces of bronze in a neat little pile directly below a dime-sized hole in the trans. case above, no matching hole for flow in the valve body.

Dunwood's mention of bronze bushings, or guides, in these solenoids prompted me to post. Perhaps someone else viewing this thread, now over 2 years old, might shed some light on this with their own thoughts/knowledge. I figgered the clicking of the sol. indicated it was good; I could be dead wrong on that. Still do not know the true mechanical nature of the clutch in these torque converters; Ford mechanic claimed it is a splined coupling which is shifted to lock the members together; Shop Manual mentions "clutch material". I wonder if the bronze pieces came from the clutch itself? The proof of solenoid failure, or not, will come in the mail maybe Monday. Meanwhile, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I posted several new threads in the "Transmissions" section, lots of views, but no replies, though. Any thoughts greatly appreciated! imp

Below, the top of the valve body, with separator plate still installed. Little heap of bronze bits visible right where I found them.

transm10.jpg

Close-up of the bad stuff. The pieces appear to be flat chunks about 1/16-inch thick, like one might find used as a thrust washer............

transm11.jpg

Hey IMP, we have to talk, I believe I have the exact same bronze junk in my tranny, I found one lonely chip in the pan last week, which prompted me to open up the filter and found a few grams worth ie. what I believe amounts to be the forward drum thrust washer shredded to bits... I'll post pics tomorrow, but I'm not sure what to do next.. change tranny, fix washer, no idea how long its been like this, but it sure isn't a good sign...

I'll wait for you opinion on this.. have a nice night.

Kev

02 XLT 4.6L V8 5R55W

59K Miles Got the OD light of doom. ESP paid for a new Band and new servos.

Currrently have 73K just replaced the Solenoid Pack and filter.

I got the OD light of doom at about 120k. Needed pretty much everything stated above.

I have an '02 XLT 4.6L V8 with towing package, 160K miles, 2WD. Original owner. Thought I'd be doing some towing but it didn't work out that way. I've never really towed anything. But now I'm getting ready to, and I installed a trans temp gauge, and see that it runs at around 130-150 degrees on highway, up to 165 deg in stop & go traffic, but as soon as I get moving it'll drop down to 130. The factory trans cooler is actually pretty large; I was thinking of installing an additional one, but now I'll wait and see what actual temps are when towing.
Anyway, I've seen so many reports of flashing OD, trans codes, solenoid packs going bad, etc, but knock-on-wood I've never had any of those things occur. I flushed/changed the ATF fluid @ 130K, and again recently when I put in the temp gauge. I'm wondering if having the towing package (w/factory cooler), but not doing any towing, could have extended the life of the 5r55w trans. Maybe an extra trans cooler is a good idea for all the 5r55's.

No explosion as to date. I have 110 on mine and no problems whatsoever. Knock Knock, dont mind me, just had to take a moment to knock on some wood.

2002 Mountaineer 4.6L V8

151K miles. Replaced fluid at 120K. Tow a boat in the summer. No problems so far.

I just bought a used XLT 02 with 147K on the clock. Hopefully, it's already blown up!

Replaced the tranny around 65K; had the OD flashing and strange shifting. I believe the cost was around 3500$ back in '06. Now has 99K and runs great. I did get it serviced at 95K at ford and plan to do it every 30K just to be safe.

Im running on 131,000 miles on the original tranny

118000 it went out had it rebuilt im at 138000 now running good no other problems!

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0

03 Explorer Limited 4x4 with original tranny that finally failed last week. I had it rebuilt for $1550. My mileage at time of failure was 163k with no maintenance ever being done. I also had the " no O/D " warning light prior to failure.

05 here with 72,x.. miles on it with no problems yet. Dunno if it's an 02 problem or not but everything seems OK here so far.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

05 here with 72,x.. miles on it with no problems yet. Dunno if it's an 02 problem or not but everything seems OK here so far.

Hey, just curious! Wasn't the Co. that built those strange machines for factories located in Mishawaka? Wheelabrader Co.? imp

Back