need your headlight opinions!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

need your headlight opinions!!

So, I was changing a burnt out turn signal bulb today, and noticed that mounts on my stock corners are destroyed. I'm looking on eBay and so far I've found the following:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-9...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-9...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I like both of these that I have posted links for. I've also seen quite a few projector sets on eBay. I'm mainly interested in any input on the two I've linked, or any thoughts on just upgrading to projectors....

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Headlight Opinion

I have those exact headlights (clear), got from eBay for same price about a year ago, so here's the low-down:

They do look great on my 95 Explorer. The brightness of the lights was better than my old original yellowed and fogged up headlights but these new ones aren't going to impress you, brightness is just acceptable. I was a bit hasty on the installation and messed up the adjusters on both lights and now the lights are a bit loose, I had to jam a black rubber hose behind them to help aim properly, this is probably all my fault though - take your time snapping the adjusters back into the mounting holes/sockets to avoid same issues I had.

My only real complaint with these lights is that when aimed properly straight forward, the actual clear plastic headlight covers look as though they are pointing out of whack. I'm talking about the appearance of the unit, not where the light actually shines. Light shines straight but lens appears not too, they look like they would be pointing up.

At $160 a pair, I'd buy them again any day over expensive factory lights. And they do come with all the bulbs!
Good luck!

Thanks! I'm watching some auctions on eBay right now :)

The first five pages of this forum have several threads related to this.

Thread 1

Thread 2

Thread 3

Thread 4

I would personally buy some HID projectors and DDM Tuning capsule and ballast kits. The total cost will be about 40% more than reflector housing replacements ($300 vs. $170). But think of it this way, you are already investing a good deal in new lighting why not make it worth it? If you don't have enough for the HID setup right now I would save your money and wait till you do. There really is no comparison between HID projector and halogen reflector lighting.

Word. Get the HID's if you can pay more and actually want better lighting performance instead of just looks.

I would personally buy some HID projectors and DDM Tuning capsule and ballast kits.

From personal experience in the last 6 months, DDM has gone down hill as far as quality and customer service. Two of my co-workers purchased both 9007h/l kits and the fog lights for thier vehicles, one being an explorer the other a mustang. When there were problems with the wiring harness, the response from the service tech... "well, it's a ford, that's the reason it's not working". And as far as the quality, the kid with the mustang bought a kit about 2 years ago and still had the ballasts. and they were of far superior quality and outlasted every piece of the newer kit.

I'm agreeing that HID's are about the best night time driving improvement you can make as long as you make sure to re-aim your headlights as to not kill the oncoming driver. but i think there are better companies out there then DDM.

Justin

Thanks everybody!! Once I get paid this week, I'll get something ordered and replace my falling out headlights. LOL.

From personal experience in the last 6 months, DDM has gone down hill as far as quality and customer service.

That's a shame to hear since they appeared to be the best quality for the price. The ballasts are supposed to have lifetime warranties. Did your co-workers try getting them replaced?

i think there are better companies out there then DDM.

Of course, DDM was just the company that seemed to have the best overall forum consensus I could find. I'll have one of their kits installed shortly, and from bench tests it seemed to perform well. Any in particular you'd recommend?

That's a shame to hear since they appeared to be the best quality for the price. The ballasts are supposed to have lifetime warranties. Did your co-workers try getting them replaced?

In both their cases, the bulbs were the first to go, they were never color matched at 5000k, and the kid with the explorer had two ballasts go on him, but because they went after 10 days they were covered but he would have had to pay shipping both ways. which i feel is unnecessary. again customer service.

Of course, DDM was just the company that seemed to have the best overall forum consensus I could find. I'll have one of their kits installed shortly, and from bench tests it seemed to perform well. Any in particular you'd recommend?
Prior to this summer, i would have said DDM just the same as you. I thought they were of great quality and value, but not after what I've seen, i couldn't justify buying them for the price knowing that any problems will be my own to sort out and that the parts are going to fail and have to be shipped back and forth on my dime. Other kits that I've heard from are the VME kits or HIDPlanet.com. But really it's hit or miss with everyone because they all get shoddy parts for cheap to try and make the biggest killing. Like i said, i'm not trying to discount your opinion, just sharing a recent experience.

Justin

The best way to get HIDs would probably be a retrofit which i'm not sure if that's what you were alluding to with the projectors and such, but a real retrofit will run you around 500 to get done and 300 to do yourself. Vroomvroomzoom and MustangP51 both did this retrofit and the results are astonishing as far as visibility and crispness of light (from pictures)

Back