tranny flush and filter change

jimbo74

Elite Exploder
Reaction score
City, State
Nor*Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001, F150, XLT 4x4
i want to do a tranny flush and a filter change.... which should i do first?

i was thinkiing of gettign the power flush, then dropping the pan and changing out the filter

is this the correct way?

i plan on doing both, my truck needs it.....

i also am going to be installing a shift improver kit (not sure which one or even what is available yet) -- will be doing this when i drop the pan to do the filter....

i have a ford ranger, 3.0l, with the "t" tranny

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Drop the pan and change the filter and gasket and then do a transmisison flush.

wouldnt that push gunky old stuff into my new filter?

If you flush first, the new fluids gonna be going through the old filter....id say its pretty much what you prefer.

*EDIT* DEFF. filter first, if you get the trans flushed, then you will be loosing all that new fluid when you drop the pan to change the filter.

either way, it has to have fluid in it to be driven..... so it doesnt matter which way i do it, at some point, it will be liek dumping new fluid in it to be wasted. usually both services aren't done at the same time

if i get it power flushed, then drop the pan, i will be filling it with new fluid until full

just as, if i drop the pan, i will fill it with new fluid that will get pumped out during the power flush

Well id say flush first, then take it home (With a couple gal's of new fluid) and change the filter.

wouldnt that push gunky old stuff into my new filter?

If you have that much gunk in your transmission fluid where you are worried about clogging up a new filter while driving it to a shop to have a flush done then I doubt a flush is going to help you.

If you have that much gunk in your transmission fluid where you are worried about clogging up a new filter while driving it to a shop to have a flush done then I doubt a flush is going to help you.

i'm just trying to figure out the way to do it, ultimately, i want as much gunk out as possible, as i also plan on installing a shift kit as well

my truck has a good amount of miels on it... and i want it to make it more, it's got no issues right now.... but improving it never hurts

Well if you have that many miles on it, id be weary of flushing it because I was thinking of having that done to my previous Explorer which was up to 150k, and I was reading up on possibly doing it myself, and found a lot of people saying that that "gunk" can be all thats holding your trans together still, and basically flushing theyre trans' was the death of theyre tranny.

yeah, that is for when people abuse their vehicles and don't have them tuned properly..... my tranny isn't having issues, and those people look at it as a solution of problems and it isnt.... my fluid on the dipstick is actually still really red and not burnt... still looks and smells new almost, i jsut want to do som pm instead of waiting for issues liek amny people do...

i'm just trying to figure out the way to do it, ultimately, i want as much gunk out as possible, as i also plan on installing a shift kit as well

my truck has a good amount of miels on it... and i want it to make it more, it's got no issues right now.... but improving it never hurts

I think either way you do it will get the same result.

any other opinions?

Drop the pan, add new filter then flush at home. Do not power flush. Add remote filter and drain plug too.

Drop the pan, add new filter then flush at home. Do not power flush. Add remote filter and drain plug too.

why not do a power flush?

how do you do a flush at home? a flush is not only dropping the pan, you only get out half of the fluid

I'm going to try Sea Foam's transmission treatment. Then I will drop the pan, change the filter, and fill her up with new fluid.

info for trans. flush...http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200527&highlight=flush+transmission

I disconnected the “to transmission” hose from my remote filter housing. I plugged and clamped the disconnected line and added and hose clamped a 6 ft length of 3/8” line to the housing. The other end went into a calibrated water jug ( 1 gal size ).

We used 15 quarts of Mobil 1 ATF.

Even though this ATF ( Mobil 1 ) has about 40 k miles on it, it still looked remarkably good, slightly darker in color.

After the flush/fill was completed, I added a new K & N filter to the housing and reattached the hoses.

The procedure took my son and I about 20 minutes to complete. There was no mess since we were well prepared for the flush; nary a drop was spilled.
This procedure is so simple that I can hardly believe that I used to pay Jiffy Lube to do it.

sean, want to help me do mine? ;)

i am out in fairfield or fremont

i will probably be able to do it all myself now... although i haven't checked out that link yet, it looks promising :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes...bring the beer. 1qt = 1 beer :)

Back