ranger shift kit

jimbo74

Elite Exploder
Reaction score
City, State
Nor*Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001, F150, XLT 4x4
i think i have probably asked it before, but i want to put a shift kit on my ranger pretty soon

i have 172xxx on the odo now and want to liven it up and extend its life a little bit. i will be changing the filter and powerflushing it as well atthe same time. refilling it with mercon V.

i have a 1998 2wd ranger xlt, 3.0l, automatic, a/c, i think the transmission code is "t"

i believe there was a shift kit, or also some other tweaks that glacier mentioned, replacing parts in the valve body and also modifying some of the passages etc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

also, i am wondering what all is involved with doing the shift kit? i saw one i think was a transgo for the ranger, but it looked as if it had internal bands or clutches? i thought shift kits didn't need to ahve the tranny installed and could easily be done by the DIYer.... am i in for too much? i plan to do this in like a day or 2

I know with my shift kit, it was a valve body modification which was done with the transmission in the truck. I think once you open the box and see all the tiny lil balls n springs n other parts you'll probably wanna bring it to a shop... lol.. That's what I did.

Btw, I went with Transgo also.

any other tips?

what shift kit did you use? where did you get it? how much did it cost?

really need to do this soon to my truck.....

i am not too worried about all the little springs and balls, i will be prepared with pictures and all that before i dive in

how much did the shop charge you? and where did you get your kit? what kit did you get? how does it feel?

I got my kit from explorerexpress, by transgo. The shop charged like... 420$ or something labor?

Kit was like 100$??? Firmed the shifts very well, but my tranny has a harsh 1-2 shift but I don't believe it's due to the shift kit.. the change in the shifts in general due to the kit are awesome. They're firm and quick, even came with an option to get rid of automatic completely so you can just manually shift but I didn't do that... manual shifting is smoother now.

which tranny do oyu have? i have a 4r44e, and i have looked online and have found a transgo or a superior kit on google for around $50

from what i was reading on the ranger station, it seems pretty simple..... i will probably do it on base in the autoshop, gotta lvoe being able to pay $1.50 for hazardous waste disposal and rent a 2 post lift and all the tools and shop rags i could use for $5 an hour ;)

Yeah, I wish I could use it here on post too but I'm not military.

I have the 4r70w.

I hope you know what you're doing... I mean if you mess up, there's no going back without a new vb... good luck. There's no way in hell I would have attacked it.

Yeah, I wish I could use it here on post too but I'm not military.

I have the 4r70w.

I hope you know what you're doing... I mean if you mess up, there's no going back without a new vb... good luck. There's no way in hell I would have attacked it.

i plan to go at it with knowledge, i wont jump into it blind

anyone else have some info? or tips? which kit is best? i have seen there are the factory tsb update fixes, the superior kit or the transgo

What's the use of the truck? That plays a part also, and your driving habits.

i use the truck for everything, mainly it is jsut a daily driver, but if i need to hual something, i pack that sucker down, like our couple loads of firewood every year.. haha, i can only go 50 on the freeway with it when i do that..

and the rest of the time, i drive it like a racecar.... routine full throttle, wide open till it shifts @ 5300 rpm..

Go transgo, and make the shifts as firm as possible.

what is the best shift kit?

Back