help!!! power window issue!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

help!!! power window issue!!!!

dcorwin822

Reaction score
my passanger side window will not go up at all... all i hear is this nasty grinding sound kinda.... I took the door panel off and i can see that the power window regulator system is fubard.... I had my dealership order me a replacement. my only problem now is how to i get the glass up and out??? i cant even lift the glass it seems stuck down. i need some serious help... i pray it dosnt rain

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my passanger side window will not go up at all... all i hear is this nasty grinding sound kinda.... I took the door panel off and i can see that the power window regulator system is fubard.... I had my dealership order me a replacement. my only problem now is how to i get the glass up and out??? i cant even lift the glass it seems stuck down. i need some serious help... i pray it dosnt rain

Use wire cutters, cut the jacked cable of the regulator and then slide the window up, you may unbolt hte track to help get the glass out, taking off the felt trim strips as well. Use a dremel/die grinder to get the pop rivets off the glass. Now the new regulator will go in, and then put the glass back in, bolt it to the regulator but don't tighten until the window channel and felt strips go back on the door, and once you know it's aligned, tighten it all back up.

I just did this on the rear door. Wasnt a bad job, take your time and have towels handy, as the regulators have lots of grease on them.

got the new regulator in... yeah they are greasy as ****. new problem though. the window rolls up slower than a snail's pace.... if i dont assist it, it will stop 1/2 way.

oh ya they guy at the parts department said there was a TSB about the window clunking (2002 explorer) and he said i needed this "bumper" (p/n 4L2Z-7821762-AA) anyone know where that goes?

I'm about to tackle theis fun tomorrow. Helping out a co-worker who's '03 driver's window had the same thing happen. Would have gotten it done tonight, but I discovered the rivots and that threw the plan off. Have to bring my drill and get bolts to put it back together with. Why and the heck did Ford have to use friggin rivots? Hope I don't run into issues with swapping the motor from the old regulator to the new.

I'm about to tackle theis fun tomorrow. Helping out a co-worker who's '03 driver's window had the same thing happen. Would have gotten it done tonight, but I discovered the rivots and that threw the plan off. Have to bring my drill and get bolts to put it back together with. Why and the heck did Ford have to use friggin rivots? Hope I don't run into issues with swapping the motor from the old regulator to the new.

most of the time, the issue isn't with the motor....i then ask....why did ford use plastic in this design (this seems to be the most common defect in power window use) as it breaks or strips, causing the window not to operate but still get the grinding motor noise.....it was a $150 job at a local after market truck shop (ford stealership wanted twice as much)

most of the time, the issue isn't with the motor....i then ask....why did ford use plastic in this design (this seems to be the most common defect in power window use) as it breaks or strips, causing the window not to operate but still get the grinding motor noise.....it was a $150 job at a local after market truck shop (ford stealership wanted twice as much)

Yeah... we have a discussion going on now titled "Thin Metal Cable (Window Regulator" hoping to solve the questions.

channel that guides glass fell off on one side.(screw at bottom fell off) It seems like there must be a clip to hold bottom piece of channel to top piece but can't figure it out. Do you have any idea.
Thanks

Back