Hella 500 vs. 500ff | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hella 500 vs. 500ff

I have been looking now at some auxiliary lights and I have pretty much decided on the Hella 500s because of their affordable price and quality. I have used the search feature to look for information, and still I cannot decide between the 500 and the 500ff. I know they are very similar, but for the close price, I am willing to put out a couple of extra bucks for a little gain in performance. The question I have is this: which lights put out the brighter, farther reaching light. I am pretty much looking for something to light up the woods, and will reach out farther than my high-beams. If it is any help, I am looking at running 4 of them on a basket type roof rack. So, should I go for the 500s, the 500ffs, or a combination of the two?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Free-Form Hellas will have the better light output. Hella Free-Form technology coordinates the shape of the reflector with the light source, producing a more efficient light output. Both the FF 500 and regular 500 will be plenty bright, but for light output/coverage, the FF wins that contest.

However, I would find another application for these lights. The Hella 500s would perform much better if mounted on your bumper/brush guard. Putting slim lights like these on a high position, such as on your roof basket, will really hurt their performance. If you want a lamp that will outperform your highbeam's cut-off point then I would pursue a long-range lamp such as KC Daylighters, ProComp Explorers, ARB IPF, or if you feel like spending a few bucks, Lightforce 170 Strikers.

Gotta agree with Lank & disagree.
The FF type lights are usually the best for putting all the lumens possible on the ground. I have not seen one that has been poor. No light loss in the FFs like there is in the fluted lenses.
It doesnt matter where you put them. Light is light. The higher they are mounted the further they will project.
Most Hellas will work well with 100Watt bulbs. I have not tryed the FF type. You could ask the people at Rally Lights http://www.rallylights.com/default.aspx They seem to be a knowledgeable source for Hella & electrics in general.

Gotta agree with Lank & disagree.
The FF type lights are usually the best for putting all the lumens possible on the ground. I have not seen one that has been poor. No light loss in the FFs like there is in the fluted lenses.
It doesnt matter where you put them. Light is light. The higher they are mounted the further they will project.
Most Hellas will work well with 100Watt bulbs. I have not tryed the FF type. You could ask the people at Rally Lights http://www.rallylights.com/default.aspx They seem to be a knowledgeable source for Hella & electrics in general.
I've had the 500s on my roof. I wasn't too impressed with them. I did have four on my brush guard which worked out a lot better, although they had the stock 55 watt bulbs instead of the 100w ones you suggested.

The 500FF will put out more light with the same bulb, but the beam pattern is different than the 500, which is what makes the difference, not just output.

I'd be pressed to suggest a better inexpensive but high quality and widely available light set, especially if you manage to snag these on clearance at walmart for $30-40.

However, they are glass lenses with a plastic housing, so the use of 100W bulbs for higher output is not suggested, lest the heat melt the plastic.

They are also a shallow design, and so the distance is compromised in trade for the slim profile so they can fit well on bumpers and brushguards. You will get lots more output from a "pencil beam" or just a deeper reflector like a KC Daylighter, but again, for the price, Hella 500s are a fantastic light.

Ya, on the roof they will not light up the road as well as being on the bumper area. Being on the roof they are still putting out the same light but it is directed differently. It just depends on what you want illuminated.

They are still good enough for wheeling, some people use setups with two 500FF's in the center and a 500 on each side for a good bit of coverage.

The only time you really need pencil beams or the high output beams is when going fast.

Sure, they are bright as can be straight ahead, but when it comes to wheeling, sometimes illuminating a few hundred feet, 60-90 degrees to either side of straight ahead is a whole lot more important than illuminating only what's 1000ft ahead in a very narrow arc. Output is meaningless if the light doesn't have a useful beam pattern for what you're using it for.

Thanks for the input, I am thinking about just going for the ff's because they are only a few dollars more. I guess I will look around for some cheap pencil beams first, but I don't have anywhere to put them in the bumper area.

Here's what I have found:
Hella 500 lights for $131.38 shipped
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lighting...s=448&t_pt=4242&t_pl=101938&t_pn=HLA005750952
Hella 500ff lights for $138.58 shipped
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lighting...s=448&t_pt=4242&t_pl=101940&t_pn=HLA005750941
Pro Comp 6" Round 100 watt Spot Lights (Black) for $119.96
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lighting...c=14&t_s=448&t_pt=4242&t_pl=1849&t_pn=EXP9004
Pro Comp 6" Round 100 watt Spot Lights (Chrome) for $127.96 shipped
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lighting...c=14&t_s=448&t_pt=4242&t_pl=1849&t_pn=EXP9003
Note if I go with the pro comps, I have to find harnesses.
So, would the 100w pro comps be better?

I got my Hella 500FF's at Wal-Mart (in the store) for $70. They had the the 500's for $65.

Yeah, I have looked in the Wal-Marts here, and none of them have any in stock, and i have never seen any in there, but then again my Wal-Mart is in the ghetto.

Try another wal-mart in town. Usually the ones in the non-ghetto areas have them, especially the newer ones, but I've seen them at small town wal-marts, too.

..Hella 500FF

...Wally World out here does not have them on clearance and they are $69 for the pair with all electrical, switch, and relay.

...Kragen also carries them for $69...P/N #HLA005750941

I have both kits mounted on my front light bar and they are awesome. The 2 fog lights are in the middle to light up the whole width of the road in front of me. The 2 driving lights are on the outside aimed at the outer range of the fogs to create a seamless beam of light and they are more so on the shoulder of the road too in order to catch the sprinting deer trying to kill itself with my vehicle! :shoot:

What makes these hellas so good. Seems like everyone has them. I bought some of the Pro Comp Explorer 6" 100w that I am going to retrofit with 55w 4500k HIDs soon. Just with the 100w bulb they shine way furthur than my highbeams with HIDs do and seem way brighter.

What makes these hellas so good. Seems like everyone has them. I bought some of the Pro Comp Explorer 6" 100w that I am going to retrofit with 55w 4500k HIDs soon. Just with the 100w bulb they shine way furthur than my highbeams with HIDs do and seem way brighter.

They're affordable with good optics, and pretty good build quality.

I really like the pro-comp 130 they are a great light, not a pencil and not a flood. They are a bit big but do work very well.

Back