New X to build with plans.

R2craycr

Reaction score
City, State
Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Xploder
Hello all.

Sold my last X before I left for Afghanistan; a 96 X with the 3" body lift, 2" tt and shackles with 33x12.5x15. Everything I did or learned came from this site.

Now after a year I finally found a replacement worthy; 1994 Explorer 4.0 auto 4x4 and 138,000 miles, completely stock and unmolested. (I need a tip on how exactly to post pictures on here, can I paste or do I have to do it another way?)

I'm fixing to go to California for a little over a month for training and will have about $4000-$5000 to spend when I get back.

This is my first stage for this one.

-06' Sport-Trac conversion kit. (I really want to make a How-To thread on this because I cannot find one for the life of me.)
-4.5" Lift kit.
-2" Body lift.
-4.56 Gears.
-Front and Rear Tru-Trac Lockers.
-35" Tires (have been wanting to try out the General Grabbers, heard alot of good reviews but my old X I was in love with the BFG Mud-Terrains, hated the Baja Claws on my old Cherokee).
-Blacked out rear tail lights.
-Tinted windows.
-White paint.
-Black 15" rims.

Any suggestions on how this is going?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

06 sport trac conversion? the body? Curious... more info please

http://www.mcneilracinginc.com/off-road-fiberglass/Ford/Explorer/91-94_4dr/05SportTracConv/index.htm

that is the conversion kit I am getting for it.
I have a few plans for it, some sort of a prerunner bumper with a skid plate or a simulated skid plate for covering the ugly, and then fabbing up a winch mount behind the plate so it is hidden and kept from debris, (there will be an opening for the cable, but my only worry is that the plate will have to be really close to the winch because of different angles the cable will be at times.

I have no experience running either 4.56's or 4.88's but I know I read somewhere on here that one member has 35's with 4.56's and wishes he had a little more gearing. Another member has 35's with 5.13's and says its a LITTLE to deep and believes 4.88's would be the best option. Also somewhere on here someone said 4.56's if you do a good bit of highway and 4.88's if you're mainly just doing around town. In the end it's your rig so build it how you want and good luck. :thumbsup:

I will have new pics up tomorrow of it, and mainly around here its all bypass' and highways. This is going to be my everyday driver. but that only consists of about 10 miles total per day...possibly 20?.
Also buying front/rear brakes, new air filter, plugs/wires, and hooking up my cd player tomorrow. I already got an oil change. I figured rotating the tires and getting an allignment would be a waste since i am lifting it in a month.

Dude that front end conversion is SICK! Even though I am a fan of the 1st gen brick body style, after seeing that, I am seriously considering! Good luck and PLEASE keep us updated as this goes on! And thank you very much for your service to our country!:salute:

Ha yeah I love the kit, and it may give me .2 mpg better maybe. I hate that I'm going to do all of this work to this truck it was taken really good care of. the guy that owned it loved it but replaced it with a newer range rover to be his new beach truck.

Don't bother with the body lift. With 4" and that kit 35s should fit fine. I'm on 2" and 34x10.50s with minimal trimming. If anything do the body lift last if you need a touch more space.

I'd go 4.88 but really doubt you'll actually feel the difference if you'd take one step up or down from there.

The BFG KM-2 has incredible reviews and are reasonably priced.

Good luck with the build!

x2.jpg

x1.jpg

x4.jpg

Old X
0905091220-00.jpg

Sorry it's not an X but its my other project.
0430101409-03.jpg

0430101409-00-1.jpg

0426101614-00.jpg

Another thing added. ive been looking for the thread telling me what axles my explorer had, can someone add the link?

ok first of all the fiberglass body mod is gonna look awesome and do u kno by any chance if they make it for 2door sport?

4.88 4.88 4.88

That is all.

Ok, that is not all.

Why are you going with the 4.5" lift (who makes that?) and then a body lift? Why not just go with a 5.5" lift and no body lift?

I don't know how much clearance that conversion gives you, but with the big flared fenders, you can probably come close to clearing the 35's with just the 4" lift... although probably not in the rear.

Body lifts just look stupid from the side. You put a fancy conversion on like that, you're gonna have some nice shiny paint job... the last thing you want is a big ugly gap b/w the frame and body...

id vote for 4.88s with the 35s, that what im running and it has good manerisms both off road and on highway
you will notice a difference one step either way

what lift kit are you planing on running? as far as i know theres no 4.5, school me on this one

i dont know how much you gain with the fenders, but im running duff 5.5 coils and i had to add spacers in because i didnt have enough room for the 35s even with trimming a fair bit of fender

Yes they do make the conversion for the 2 door body style. it just doesnt have the kit that molds into the rear doors since you dont have any.

They also make a mean f150 prerunner kit that is just plain nasty, but too extreme for an everyday driver.

And that was my typo...i was meaning 5.5 but decided to go with a 4" i found off craigslist for $200 (trying to get it for $150). only thing needed is would be the brake lines that he doesnt have and u-joints since he was going to put it on a ranger he said my axle is wider. not sure, but will get them if needed.

i like a small body lift for ease of things. After mudding it makes it easier to wash the frame and make sure there isnt too much hiding behind something. And im worried about the 35's rubbing while i play in the dirt. I like a clean looking vehichle, but the body lift doesnt bother me horribly, or didnt on my last explorer and it had a 3". And I plan on doing the 4" lift and seeing if the tires will fit before hand, if so I may opt to trade the 2" for a 1" for easier cleaning and a just in case my truck settles more than i want. or just get rid of it if i have enough room for them.

wich kit is the 4"?

it wouldnt have u joints in it regardless, thats not part of the lift.
the ranger front is usable, but nothin from the rear is.

i agree with everyone above. if you are going to regear, then go 4.88s with 35s. i have 4.88s with my 33s and i really enjoy the extra performance. its fun peelin out of places too. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ehh...I was tired yesterday....meant u-bolts for a soa,he said the axles on his ranger were narrower than mine.
and now im planning 4.88 now. my axle code is "41 ...... 3.27C" (thanks a ton anime, couldnt find that for the life of me.) but now i am planning an auburn gear ected locker, or an eaton e-locker. any preferences on them? and what all should i buy for the switch?

Back