• Register Today It's free!

No Heat

kn530

Reaction score
City, State
Maringouin, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mountaineer
What would cause my heater to stop putting out heat. I find no visible leaks maybe a lack of vacuum to control valve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you talking about the blower motor/fan not working??

could be time to flush the cooling system and put in a new thermostat, that worked for me last winter,,

I have replace the coolant about a month ago. No the blower is working fine

Check to see if the hoses running to the heater core are getting hot, your heater core may be blocked.

check your blend door

Had the same issue with the 97 explorer I just got. Found a great thread by Magicland, :thumbsup: link attached. Checked vac lines, found one broken but still no heat. Turned out that it was infact a broken Blend door. Apparently very comon issue. The link helped me know what to do and with nice photos. A little scarey cutting into the bottom but turned out great and I now have HOT heat and Cold AC. Hope this helps.;)

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214332

Thanks I'll check it out

How is the best way to check the blender door or the actuator

I followed "magicland's" thread. I removed the glovebox door. The actuator sits on top of the black plastic housing. I removed the two front screws. Getting to the rear one is a real pain and my cuts on the top of my hands are just now healing,so I never got that one off. I then lifted/pried the front up which exposed the bottom of the actuator. in my case when i did this a small piece of the broken blend door (where it attaches to the actuator) came up which told me that mine was infact broken. This is where they all seem to break. To check the function of the actuator I started the vehicle and with the actuator lifted up slightly i turned the heat contol knob. You can see the white portion of the actuator moving which told me it was working. Getting to the blend door is the real pain. So if the actuator is working your next step is to cut into the bottom to access it. My son (CJEXPLORER)and I took a trip the wrecking yard and tore some apart and found a good blend door which also gave me a chance to get over the fear of cutting the bottom open.
Hope this helps.:D

Save your knuckles and the dropped socket. The actuator is a 2 piece assembly - the motor housing & a base. You can carefully pry the actuator off its mounting base with a flat blade screw driver without removing the screws. Pry up the corners off of the press fit pegs. Once the fronts are up, the back ones are pretty easy to lift off.

Thanks that's the next thing I need to check

Blend door actuator (electonic HVAC)

i found in my 99 mounty that my blend door actuator was bad....it was held on with three 8mm (5/16) screws

i used a slim ratchet (pkaty192 is the snap on part number) to remove these three screws very easily

i lifted the actuator straight up (because of the peg that turns the blend door) and once removed we tested to see if this peg moved and i did not....indicating that the actuator was infact bad

to get heat for now (until i could order the new actuator) i took a 1/4" ratchet and moved the blend door by hand
the ratchet fits in where the peg sits

NO CUTTING NEEDED and it took maybe 10 minutes

hope this helps!

Back