• Register Today It's free!

Best replacement fuel pump?

IronIndian

Reaction score
City, State
Glendale, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Mazda Navajo
Ok guys n gals, I just fixed my trans, but I'm afraid my fuel pump has finally bit the dust :roll: I've searched the forums and I've found a huge amount of info replacing the fuel pump, but this info doesnt answer my question. What is the best aftermarket replacement fuel pump for my 96 4.0 ohv? AC delco, Bosch, Walbro??? Any info is greatly appreciated!:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ttt anyone?

basically the reverse order of what you listed. Walbro, motorcraft, bosch, ac/delco. Airtex fuel pump = BAD. Which is unfortunately what 99% of parts stores sell. www.rockauto.com has all but the walbro available, and I think they are a vendor on here, which means a discount.

Sweeeeeet, thanks Jim!

re-itterated

so what about this:

Fuel Pump - (Electric In-Tank Type) - OEM Equivalent
Product Line: NAPA Fuel Pumps
or a Delphi?? both are offered at NAPA but the NAPA brand is $150 and a Delphi is $175-$211(all plus tax)

Reason I ask is I bought the Airtek pump for $150(post tax) before reading this post and I dont want to be stuck doing this job again

just replaced mine,

got one from the junkyard...

bad bad bad

got an Airtek pump and started to drop the tank at 830 in the morning at my job... took something like 2 hrs to drain the tank(only 7 had gals) with the crappy syphoning ... dropped the tank and start taking lines off and wind up having to get the fuel line removal tool... an hr later i broke said tool... back to az for replace and back to work... on the way back get kicked off the grounds by the "SUITS".. towed home finished cleaning the tank remove and test pump with a battery turns out it was a gonner... installed the "new" pump and drove around just fine for the last 2 days and now the damn truck is spittering and sputtering and losing power after a few mins of highway driving or an hr of city driving... i can stop turn it off for less than a min restart it and it will run fine for a little bit then stall out again... i now believe the Airtek pump would be the issue but imma go ahead and replace the fuel filter and my spark plugs(last done at most recent tune up last september 29th... too long ago but im doing a tune job this weekend but i really dont think my plugs are the issue and to be safe imma limp to the parts store in the morning and get a different pump.. can anyone tell me if az will take the pump back without the box it came in? will update when i get done dropping the tank AGAIN :( but at least i know what im getting into and it will go alot faster than 12 hrs lol

if "az" is auto zone than i dont believe they will take it back after its been used in the tank, much less without the box.

at least thats the policy at 3 autozones over here.

they said they can uphold the warranty and give me another but they wont give me a refund i ask yesterday morning and i think its def the fuel pump overheating and shutting down or something cuz i can turnm off the truck and restart it just fine and it will run for a few mins and then start acting up again... just gonna go get the replacement from rockauto for $130 next fri only because there are no junk yards around to pull one from( trust me i called every number in the phone book looking EVERY number for auto parts anything) will update when something new happens

also...

anyone ever heard of spectra fuel pumps? thats what im looking at on rockauto.com

update:

so i called az again and they said since the part is still fresh under the warranty they will go ahead and refund my money for this pos pump so now i just have to pull it drain it and return it.

Look for a good warranty, it may be worth the price (which can be HIGH).

fuel problem getting fixed

I replaced my fuel filter and it started running better but not 100% yet and while I was out tonight getting a bottle of SoCo I stopped into AutoZone and used their fuel pressure test gauge...

with the key off i see about 20psi
with the key to on(cycled about 3 times to build pressure) now dropped to about 37psi
running it sits about 18psi and the needle jumps to 16psi and back to 18psi

I remember seeing on here somewhere what the correct pressure is...

the new spectra fuel assembly came in today as well and since im almost out of gas I will drop/replace the sender tom

and just to verify proper priming I just put the pump in gas and supply some power to pump? or just make sure i add a few gals of gas before turning the key on when done?

thanks for any help I love this site!!!

its fixed!!!

:Dso the sending unit i got from rockauto was a direct drop in for my tank... only took me about 4hrs to drop and replace this time... first crank she started right up no problems... took a 3hr road trip the next day and now i have the dreaded o/d light flashing so im off to see how to fix that thanks for the help everyone

Back