question on Mufflers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

scullman23

Reaction score
City, State
North Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Limited 4.6 L V8
Okay so i have an 02 limited V8 4.6 L Explorer and am looking into Flowmasters. Which one is the best for gaining MPG and sounds great, i really need some help because iv only heard a 44 super series on my friends XTERA and its sounds good but i want to know what is the best for my truck and btw my MPG is 14... terrible!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah check youtube. Zerodevil has a sweet exhaust with a few other mods, but his is a magnaflow. Check out the V8 exhaust thread in the modified 02-05 Explorer Section. I have a magnaflow, and personally, I love the exhaust it sounds great and I get about 1-3mpg better now. So i posted the quote with the video of the different exhaust set ups, so hope this helps
Heres a little video i made from the 4 different exhaust setups i've seen on these forums...hopefully this video will help those that are trying to decide on a setup for there X...i used jtbuck92's, Limited02's, zerodevils and my own clips in the video...if any one of the previously mentioned members have issues with me posting this video just let me know and i will take it down.

Wow thanks and does anyone know if it is legal in Jersey or anywhere to have no muffler with such a loud sound? kind of like that first one in the video? that may be what i want, and would that help my MPG at all?

Wow thanks and does anyone know if it is legal in Jersey or anywhere to have no muffler with such a loud sound?

I would say that no muffler is illegal in all 50 states!!!

yeah i figured... oh well i just need help on what to buy for my xplodr...

What muffler you buy depends on what you want? Do you want sound with some performance or mainly performance with sound? Either way you will see a spike in gas mileage. Being that there will be better air (exhaust) flow from the headers back.

yeah i guess i want which ever is cheaper being i am kinda on a Budget, and whatever is easier to instal because i dont want to pay some huge price for someone to instal it for me, if i can do it for cheaper.

I got my magnaflow 11226 muffler for 72.99 @ pepboys auto. $88.00 total with the pipe.

woah did you instal it yourself? if not how much was it to instal?

--I installed from the muffler to the factory clamp myself.
--I had to get it welded because of the way I did it.
--Oh yeah and make sure you get a 10% or 20% off coupon from pep boys. Just buy something there first and then take their online survey @ www.pepboyssurvey.com to get the 10 or 20% off. The muffler was listed @ 82.99 but with the coupon it was $72.99. I know that Pep Boys has flowmaster, magnaflow and a few other brands of mufflers. If not you could order your muffler off of amazon. Amazon.com seems to have muffler dirt cheap. It wouldn't cost more than $75.00 at most to have a shop install it. I assume if you have the muffler it would only cost.....$45.00 install. I had midas weld the exhaust and do from the muffler back.
Here's pics of my exhaust with the 11226 muffler. Where that clamp is I need to weld. :)
exhaust2.jpg

exhaust1.jpg

really good deal thanks a lot man. i really appreciate it! i just gotta find a pepboys around me now!
Thanks
Jeff

I personally have a Flowmaster 70. I love it and it works for me. If you want a little more sound, I wouldn't go lower than a Flowmaster 50. My setup is: I had the third cat removed, 2.5" exhaust run out the back with the FM 70. It's a few ticks louder than stock with no drone.

Otherwise, most everyone here that's swapped mufflers have been happy with their Magnaflows.

Here's my vids. I really need to make some new ones though.

th_101_1220.jpg

th_101_1311.jpg

really good deal thanks a lot man. i really appreciate it! i just gotta find a pepboys around me now!
Thanks
Jeff
No problem! Thats why we are all here. To help each other out.

And I did the "finding" work for you:
Pep Boys Auto nearest to zip code: 07821
-20 miles east-
Parsippany
1440 Route 46 East
Parsippany, NJ 07054
(973) 541-1030

that sounds really nice, i wanted the 40 series because i thought it would be better sound but is there a difference on performance on the 50? my friend has a 44 super series and his car just wont work... Catalitic problem... i know i wont get that one lol but thanks for the info.

And ill have to go there today thanks icecube498

so pep boys doesnt sell flowmaster 50s... Ugh! where to go? any ideas? i need cheap!

Thanks guys, i found that ebay is the cheapest so far, but now i am back to wether i should get the 50 series delta or just a super 44 series... i just want to know what will be best for my MPG being it is a bundle of money wasted if i pick the wrong one...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IF you want MPG's flowmaster is not the choice for you. You need a straight through muffler like a Magnaflow or Gibson. Flowmasters use internal baffels totune the muffler for sound. Baffels = restriction = less performance and less MPG's

Back