Plug boot springs. Necessary to replace? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Plug boot springs. Necessary to replace?

chitown1211

Reaction score
City, State
Rosemount, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Explorer XLT V8
Is it necessary to replace the springs inside the plug boot when changing spark plugs? I assumed yes, but I just purchased new OEM boots and I was surprised not to see new spings in the packaging.

Should I have received new springs? If not does that mean they are perfectly fine to re-use?

Any assistance appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can reuse them if they are not broken. Youre new boots should not have come with new springs.

Anything else? :p

Now thats fast service. Thanks for the quick reply.

Great forum.:thumbsup:

No problem, glad I could help.

Now lift your truck and go offroading and take pictures! :D
[end subliminal message]

Funny, I was at an O'Reilly auto parts store tonight and checked this same thing. The boots they sold came with springs. You could buy the coil pack which comes with the entire assembly, coil, boot, and spring. I thought mine were bad since it slid down the plug and didn't tightly snap onto it. The new ones did the same thing so I figured my old ones are fine. I recommend cleaning the top of the plug very well before putting them back in since the spring just slides over it and makes contact at the base of the tip.

Edit: I have an 02 Mountaineer 4.6 V8.

Back