F150 - warranty, tranny problems, what to do.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

F150 - warranty, tranny problems, what to do..

Brandons

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 F150 SC 5.4
I bought an 06 F150 back in march and I dropped it off today for service (a few issues ive noticed, including a clunk when the torque converter comes out of lockup when passing someone on the highway). Ill mention it is under warranty until sept 2011.

The tranny guy drove it and said it has a bad torque converter and the intermediate clutches are toast. I was told it will be $1,700 if they tear it down and find nothing wrong but it will be covered if there is. Even though the mechanic is saying there is something wrong, I cant decide if I should go for it, I feel like they are going to pull a fast one on me but at the same time I feel like there definitely is a part going as I have noticed some sluggish shifts and that clunking..

The other concern I have is if I take it without repairing it and the tranny goes that they wont cover it since I did not get it repaired when they said there was an issue.. I might be a little paranoid as the 94 explorer is on transmission 5....

Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn't see you on the the site for a while. How is everything? How did they determine what was wrong with the transmission from a test drive? Were there any transmission related codes? Was the fluid level checked? Was the fluid clean or dark with a burned smell?

Hey Brooklyn, I have been incredibly busy lately with the gf living almost 2 hours away and the new job. Everything is good next to the truck situation.. how have you been?

They say it was just determined from a test drive, did not mention anything about codes and I have not had a CEL yet. I am suppose to get more information tomorrow. Right now they understand I will not have it fixed unless I am guaranteed they WILL replace something in it, but I may go for it..

Last time I checked the fluid during the last oil change it was full and darkish red. didnt smell any funnier then tranny oil smells.. that was 5000km ago, the problem occured shortly after the oil change (maybe a few weeks). If they rebuild it and replace parts, thats fine with me they can be as anxious as they want :D I just don't want a tear down and find out nothings wrong...

The transmissions in those trucks should be heavy duty compared to the A4LD in the Explorer. How many miles does it have? Do you use it for towing or hauling things around? Always keep the overdrive off when towing up a hill.

So far I have towed once, a 5000lb trailer (this truck is good for about 11k lbs), otherwise it never tows anything except me. It has 84,600km on it or 52,500 miles. Ive read those transmissions can handle around 450hp :S

After a few days of trying to figure things out I have taken my truck back. The dealership I bought it from which is about twice as far away says they can do a lot more with it without as much hassle. I got a call from Barrie Ford telling me they will have to change parts in it however Ford may ask (he said a 40% chance) for maintenance records, which I don't have because I bought it used.

They printed off the diagnoses from their tranny guy and here it is:
Cust RPTS when on hwy in O/Drive with torque converter locked, then depress gas pedal transmission clunks. Can hear and feel clunk. CHK and RPT. (P09)
R/Test & Check trans operation, verify concern, intermittant clunk during converter clutch disengagement, also firm 1-2 shift at times. Fluid level normal, smells burnt. Test pcm-KOEC-PASS, KOEO-PASS, KOER-PASS. Line pressure test P/N-60, R-90, D,2,1-90, WOT- R270, D,2,1-210. Noted line pressure erratic at idle, 10-15psi fluctuation from command pressure. Stall RPM 2500-O/K. Suspect worn Torque Converter and possible broken int cluch cushion spring.

Sounds a little grim but it will be off to the other dealership soon enough, their sales manager will even be taking me home as he lives near my house :D.

Now the other confusion I have is that my transmission was not listed for service at 50k km like the service desk said, however apparently because I am in Canada that counts as special operating conditions so it is?

I have no maintenance records and neither does the dealership I bought it from... I am expecting the worse at the moment..

Back