No more spacers for me. | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No more spacers for me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Man, it's getting really quiet in here, where did everyone go?!? I thought this topic would generate a lot more interest :D

So after looking at it more last night, I think I see what cutting that crossbar piece might lead to. Since each end is only attached to 1 bolt when you do that, I guess there's a chance it could pivot or deflect side to side on that 1 bolt if enough force is applied....having that crosspiece intact keeps that from happening. I see why StockCarRacer in his post about lowering the control arm decided to make an extra bracket out to the sides.http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2455066&postcount=14

Still not sure if the extra bracket is really required, though. DevilDog says he's been running fine without it...I just wonder about offroading. I tend to think if they engineered the control arm a certain way (WRT to that crosspiece), they probably did it for a reason. Could just be a "just in case" feature, though.

Ideas, thoughts, comments anybody? :dunno:

i think ill just wait for the btf fix before i go cuttin my a arms

Hmmmmm looks like I got a new project this weekend!! Good thing I have extra controls arms laying around.

So here are the pics

Gents,

So here are the much anticipated pics of the front end set up on my truck.

I looked at the paperwork and I have put at total of 15,000 miles on the truck since I lifted it and added the tires. I am running BFG All Terrains TA. I have not seen any adverse tire wear due to the adjustment of the upper A-arm. I believe this is due to the fact that I took it to National Tire & Battery and had a 4-wheel laser alignment. In the pics you can see where I had a problem with the post touching my springs before I dropped the A-arm. This rubbing on the springs was the reason I decided to lower my A-arm.Please feel free to ask any questions that you may have. I am redesigning the rear end on the truck and will keep you posted to the delvelopment of my build.

Thanks,

Tim

Attachments

• resized a-arm bolt.jpg
    resized a-arm bolt.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 1,149
  • Ball joint pic #1.jpg
    Ball joint pic #1.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,147
  • flipped a-arm.jpg
    flipped a-arm.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,133
  • the explorer.jpg
    the explorer.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 4,494

Another Look at the Ball Joint

Here is another Look at the ball joint. No stress on the joint from the the lift. I will have my truck on the lift tomorrow and will have pics from below it so you can see how I dropped the from pumpkin to lessen the stress on the axles.

thanks,
Tim

Attachments

• another look at ball Joint.jpg
    another look at ball Joint.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,165

Thanks for posting those pics!

Doesn't look bad at all considering you've got a 3" spacer lift in the front there. I'm sure those with 2.25" spacers would end up with even better angles.

Still not sure about cutting that crosspiece but it sounds like its held up well for you. Do you offroad a lot?

Off Roading

I do off road often. More often than most. I have taken it places jeep will not go.

was there any drop in the front after doing this.

was there any drop in the front after doing this.

It won't drop the front at all, it just allows the upper control arm to be at a less extreme angle. It would be almost the same as using a taller spindle/knuckle.

This should help out the upper control arm ball joint. I don't know how far down you can lower the pivot point of the upper control arm though. Lower it too much and you'll bind up the ball joints because you're taking the movement arcs of the upper and lower arms out of parallel. You would have to drop the LOWER control arm the same amount to prevent this...and that looks a lot harder because you'd also have to think about dropping down tie rods/swaybars/etc.

I was working on a way to drop the upper control arm down enough so it's almost parallel with the ground (like stock), but then Macknos94 reminded me about the potential binding issue. It is hard to tell exactly how much it would bind if you dropped the upper control arm more than what is in the earlier posts, but I'll bet you can't lower it much more.

It seems that for this reason most people with other IRS suspension trucks with this type of lift go for longer upper control arms as a fix. Expensive? Yeah, but it makes the most sense because not only are you fixing the problem with the upper control arm pulling the knuckle into the springs, but you're replacing the balljoint with a stronger part that has a greater range of movement (uniball).

Brandon, have you had a chance to work on this yet?

would the longer control arms raise the front as well or would it just improve the geometry?

I am almost positive it just affects the geometry. With a strut spacer lift the upper control arm becomes the limiting factor (strut wants to extend, but upper control arm won't go any more). Before the strut spacer lift the strut wouldn't drop down far enough to max the upper control arm out.

So, either go with limit straps, which keep the strut from extending all the way and maxing out the upper control arm....or go with a longer upper control arm/uniball that has more range of motion and is stronger.

Like we talked about before, how much you need these depends on where you drive and how. I think tire size also might play a factor, as stock size tires with a spacer lift would allow the suspension to downtravel farther easier and therefore max out the balljoints.

I think many of the people who had issues with blowing balljoints had also disconnected their front swaybar to get more flex. Limiting flex in this case is a good thing...so that may have also led to increased balljoint wear/failure.

Im probably gonna try flipping my a-arms.. How big of a spacer do you think I should go with?
36185_10150327549510657_551520656_15912520_2154472_n.jpg

Thats with 1" in front only. Also how big did you go in the rear?

so i have some good news for you guys that keep asking for the upper control arms with the uniballs. i will be taking my truck to Brandon at BTF to have them made for my truck. he will also be making a template so that you guys that want them will just be able to order them from him. as soon as he has room in the shop i will get my truck to him. i know these will be a popular and much needed part for a lot of you!

so i have some good news for you guys that keep asking for the upper control arms with the uniballs. i will be taking my truck to Brandon at BTF to have them made for my truck. he will also be making a template so that you guys that want them will just be able to order them from him. as soon as he has room in the shop i will get my truck to him. i know these will be a popular and much needed part for a lot of you!

Finally!!!!!!! :D I will be ordering some of these eventually. I've been waiting for these to be designed and such.

:D:thumbsup:X2!

dirtball - you or Brandon figure they'll work with 4th Gens/2nd Gen STs too?
Good luck!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back