Is it worth the fix? In desperate need of advice. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is it worth the fix? In desperate need of advice.

Mrlee75

Reaction score
City, State
Arcadia, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 5.0L AWD Eddie Bauer
I have a '97 EB that runs, but has some issues. I have approx. 170000 miles on it and would really like to see it hit another 100k or more. I also want to modify it a bit so i can take it off-roading and keep it as a weekend truck to have fun in.

The question now is if it's worth fixing. I'm assuming all the fixes are going to run me around $1500 maybe more to get it sounding like new again. There's a lot of interior/exterior stuff that needs to be fixed. Overall it's in fair to mediocre condition which is why i need help deciding whether or not to invest money into it.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A lot of the guys here put more money into their old ex or ranger than some people put into a new car, so I guess the question(s) are how much do you want that ex? are willing to put in the 1500? if you do fix it is it going to be worth it to YOU? if you can afford it and its worth it to you, than I say do it.

If you can do most of the work yourself, keep it. But if you have to pay for everything then the bill can add up real quick. If you can't do much yourself, I say cut your losses and get rid of it.

What engine does it have? If it's a 5.0 them by all means fix it. If it's a SOHC I'd say dump it.

It's a 5.0L V8 AWD. I think I can do most of the work myself, I just need time. I guess I'll cap my budget at $5000 for now and see what happens. Definitely don't want to lose it and I'm sure I'll be happy with the results.

I'll def post pics once I start getting more into it.

Thanks!

Consider this: do you have $40,000 for a new SUV? You don't fix a $1,500 problem by spending $40,000.

Make a list. Start with necessary repairs. Is it leaking anything? What doesn't work? Then add a schedule for maintenance. Now, consider all the things that were never done or should be done (diff fluid, tranny fluid, brakes, fuel filter, PCV, EGR, muffler, tires, et cetera). You could have a different project every weekend. Even simple things like wash, clay bar, & wax can consume a whole day. I once spent a day replacing lamp harnesses and lamps (a lot of wire splicing, soldering, and dielectric grease).

Good Luck, Have Fun

i think the main problem i have is a ticking sound. I know there's an exhaust leak, but i'm now thinking a bad lifter as well?

i have video's of it, but it's not great quality and it's a bit windy since they were recorded off my phone.

i think the main problem i have is a ticking sound.

Common. We all have it. I'm just living with mine. It's not really hurting too much of anything. I guess I will get headers eventually.

What engine does it have? If it's a 5.0 them by all means fix it. If it's a SOHC I'd say dump it.

Ya know, I'm really getting tired of you guys "ragging" on the SOHC. Like many motors, it happens to have one or two "known" issues.. Issues, that are relatively easy (in the grand scheme of things) to fix. The "issue", as well as the fix, is well known. It is something that is easily addressed in an engine rebuild, which I'm sure you 5.0L guys have done your share of.

The SOHC is a great motor. It makes excellent power for it's size, and does a more than adequate job of moving an Explorer. It must not have been that bad, if Ford continued to use it in what could be considered there "flagship" vehicle, until just his year. The basic Cologne architecture has been in use for a LONG time. Even the 4.0L-SOHC variant was in production for 15 years! That's a good run.

It's not a bad motor,it's just "misunderstood". Yes, it takes a little more ingenuity and creativity to make power w/ the SOHC, but it can be done. Much like the GM Quad4, and the ford 3.8L (Taurus/Sable); they got bad raps that were mostly undeserved. They were/are also both excellent performing motors, for their size, and their time.

Consider this: do you have $40,000 for a new SUV? You don't fix a $1,500 problem by spending $40,000.

Exactly. I hate seeing people junk a perfectly good vehicle, simply because it needs a few repairs.

Ya know, I'm really getting tired of you guys "ragging" on the SOHC. Like many motors, it happens to have one or two "known" issues.. Issues, that are relatively easy (in the grand scheme of things) to fix. The "issue", as well as the fix, is well known. It is something that is easily addressed in an engine rebuild, which I'm sure you 5.0L guys have done your share of.

The SOHC is a great motor. It makes excellent power for it's size, and does a more than adequate job of moving an Explorer. It must not have been that bad, if Ford continued to use it in what could be considered there "flagship" vehicle, until just his year. The basic Cologne architecture has been in use for a LONG time. Even the 4.0L-SOHC variant was in production for 15 years! That's a good run.

It's not a bad motor,it's just "misunderstood". Yes, it takes a little more ingenuity and creativity to make power w/ the SOHC, but it can be done. Much like the GM Quad4, and the ford 3.8L (Taurus/Sable); they got bad raps that were mostly undeserved. They were/are also both excellent performing motors, for their size, and their time.

Exactly. I'hate seeing people junk a perfectly good vehicle, simply because it needs a few repairs.

The 5.0 basic design has been around since 1964. I've never heard of a timing chain issue in a 5.0 or tranny problems. I've got 250k on my '97 Moutaineer and the tranny or engine has never been touched. I don't see that ever happeneing with a SOHC.

Thanks guys. Basically I made up my mind and have decided to go ahead and try and fix the problems. Don't really want to lose the explorer.

Hopefully you guys can help me out on some of my issues. There are 2 that get to me the most.

1. Exhaust leak (or at least I think it is). There's a chugging sound when under load and at idle, it just doesn't sound right. Not to mention it seems like it's lacking power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5gvZEVXprQ While driving, you'll hear the chugging around the 2-6 second mark. It's more of a chugging than anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW8XLg3fxVM Engine at idle

2. There's a chirping sound coming from the driver side when I'm moving. I'm assuming it's the bearings? if so, can i just replace the bearings or would it be better to get a new hub assembly?

Back