Dreaming of one mean 4.0: The Build up - Creager's 1992 Sport | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dreaming of one mean 4.0: The Build up - Creager's 1992 Sport

have you looked into buying a remanufactured engine? i found a company that sells them for just shy of 2,000 the name is hyperformance. they can also istall all the goodies you want. or just get it to you and do all of the aftermarket mods on your own. if youd like i have found a lot of sites for 4.0 mods like superchargers, stroker kits, cams, all that good stuff. here is the site that has a lot of different links. http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/4_0_Page.html i hope you find all you need and good luck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As always thanks to all and I will give an update as I dig in :cool:

i understand this may be off topic, but craeger, how does the engine run nowadays? does it still have good power considering what it had when it was stock, as i am thinking of building up a 4.0 and what you have seems like something i could handle and have fun with through the years, thanks!

i understand this may be off topic, but craeger, how does the engine run nowadays? does it still have good power considering what it had when it was stock, as i am thinking of building up a 4.0 and what you have seems like something i could handle and have fun with through the years, thanks!
i too would like too know!!this inspired me to do my build and wonder how long these things run after built!!

look if your going to put all this work in to a 4.0 then you might as well go v8 because first off these motors dont like being messed with so after turning it 5,000 rpms through the mud then your goning to blow the motor. and all the money you put into the motor you could have a little less or the same amount of power with a 302 without putting performance in it and makeing it unreliable. Beside a v8 with cherrybomb glasspack exhaust practicly makes the girls skirts fly right off. Im 16 so I know what your talking about

thats funny do you live in kentucky cause cherry bombs are about as high performance as a fram oil filter lol and some people like to try to keep the original euip in it to be different and to say I made lots of power out of a 4.0 instead of doing what is easy and throwing in a v-8 I think he should go for it and prove he can smoke a v-8 with a 4.0 and show people that maybe you should think outside the box

Creager..? Where are you, we want more vids and dyno numbers... Did you ever get the cracked head fixed and put everything back together? What a tease... lol. Anyway, I read through this entire thread, loved it, would like to know what happening, hope you're doing fine.

Creager..? Where are you, we want more vids and dyno numbers... Did you ever get the cracked head fixed and put everything back together? What a tease... lol. Anyway, I read through this entire thread, loved it, would like to know what happening, hope you're doing fine.

Yeah, it's been quite a bit since the OP posted in any thread, wonder what ever became of him and this project.

Where Are you finding your performance parts for your rebuild? I have 250k on mine, it keeps going but it has that knocking in it. All i know is that comp cams has the rockers, lifters and cam i can get. No Idea where to get the heads. I might keep my heads not sure but I know for sure that I am going with headers and keeping my cold air which will run into a snorkel for those deep water adventures haha.

Where Are you finding your performance parts for your rebuild? I have 250k on mine, it keeps going but it has that knocking in it. All i know is that comp cams has the rockers, lifters and cam i can get. No Idea where to get the heads. I might keep my heads not sure but I know for sure that I am going with headers and keeping my cold air which will run into a snorkel for those deep water adventures haha.
You can go with the 422 cam, custom length rods and rockers w/ hardened tips (the weak point on the 4.0L). As far as a head, you really have nothing available except stock replacement castings (i.e. Alabama Cylinder Heads). I bought a set of those, ported the heck out of them, opened up the combustion chamber a little bit, installed larger standard size 8mm stainless valves w/ bronze valve guides, Comp Cam's heavy duty dual valve springs, and crane (I think?) retainers before I realized that the 4.0 is just too expensive for the gains. If you want big power drop a 5.0L in. The parts will be much cheaper, more readily available, and you will have higher gains. Not to mention there are aftermarket heads available, for less than I dumped into my 4.0L's heads, that can easily flow twice that of the 4.0L on it's best day. If you want < 300whp for a ton of effort and $$$$ then keep the four liter.

A lot of these parts are hard to come by, pretty expensive or both. The 4.0L is an aging design with its newer SOHC cousin being out of production now too.

haha, i knew you were out there somewhere 410!

Yeah ive been hesitant towards the higher compression, but since im using 90/93TM heads, the compression doesnt raise that much. 9:3:1 to 10:1. The 91-94 pistons have a 'small dish' design, so going with flattops doesnt change too much.

10:1, which is still steetable with 93 octane. hahah, so aslong as gas prices stay around $1.99 im straight! haha yeah, i've researched the crap out of that idea, BIRD (doug904's head man) on RPS swears up and down 10:1. Ill take his word for it, the guy does (or used to) build these things for a living. SOHC pistions + 95TM (or 98TM) gives you upward 12:1 compression. My ported heads are 90/93TM design.

Well see, i guess the worse that can happen is i have to run $3.99 a gallon gas... and ill be telling myself, "shoulda gone with the v8 they said." hahah

So far, this is an old but great thread. This is as far as I've made it, but it sure reminds me how far we've come (regressed) since this statement was posted!

i did the v8 swap myself, would not use the 4.0 ever, that motor drove me nuts !!!!!!!

Agreed! If I ever need to do this again, the drive train is coming out completely. Starting from scratch w/ a late model crate motor of some sort! Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I rebuilt the V6, but it won't happen again. Great experience, will not need it again tho.

I have a few ?'s (not threadjacking here) but does the 2gen OHV have an overall better design head wise? I'm just trying to get some ideas for a future build. Mine still runs however she's nearing 200k and has a pushrod rattle. I know the weakest part is the heads, but I'm not really following on 90, 93, and 95tm heads.... Is the "tm" part of the casting #? What do the #'s mean?

I have a 92 as listed below.... I do know the power seems to drop off at about 2k rpm. Not really worried about racing or mudding etc...(So I don't need to turn high rpm's) I Just want a comfy reliable and gas efficient as possible ride.

If anyone could decifer the head #'s for me and steer me in the right direction it'd be much appreciated.

There is a thread some where on here w/ the info you need. I wish I could remember who it was. Really in depth stuff. Search the forum, you'll find it.

There is a thread some where on here w/ the info you need. I wish I could remember who it was. Really in depth stuff. Search the forum, you'll find it.

I've tried but obviously not hitting the right keyword search.... All I have is my crackberry to access here ever since my computer died. So everything is pretty compact.

Just anything in the correct general direction helps.... Searching "heads" is really vague on here. I even went into the 95-01 section looking around.

Thank's Jon. I was just searching for a thread for Mr. Cribb myself!

my 94 limited is going in the shop in a week for a comp cam 422-8 cam and new vavle spring i have a jet chip and a k&n what kind of power am i lookin at in the end?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not enough!

Back