• Register Today It's free!

Going 2WD

Abbé Ioannes

Reaction score
City, State
Prague, CZ, Europe
Year, Model & Trim Level
´98 Explorer 4.0 + LPG
Hi, does anybody know what to do to convert the car fully 2WD? Can I just replace the T-case (V6 4.0 SOHC engine) with the tranny extension from a regular 2WD? Will it fit? And if so, where can I buy the extension? :notworthy thx for your ideas

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it's called the tailhousing, and you have to disassemble the trans to change the output shaft or something.. so it's not easy to convert a 2wd trans to 4wd or vice versa. you would also need a different length driveshaft, etc.

just curious, why do you want to convert it to 2wd? i usually see threads where people want to do the opposite.

i just convert to 2wd by putting it in 2 wheel drive mode :) haha.

I´ve had an incredible number of troubles with that cursed cradle of filth (BW T-case). It might be superb when new but after some years... And as I am from Europe, spare parts prices are doubled because of delivery costs and taxes. I am really fed up with all 4WD system. I guess that fully 2WD car would be much more reliable.

it depends on what you want. it is not a simple deal to convert. it would be smarter to buy a 2wd ex.
Posted via Mobile Device

If I sell it I will definetly not buy another one. Too much break-downs, too bad access to anything. Doing engine timing, for example, is a nightmare when you compare it to a Jeep.

you have the 4.0... which 4.0 do you have, is it the overhead cam one?

i haven't heard of the t-cases having any problems, which t-case is it, the bw1354? i beat the snot of out the 1354's in my 2 ex's and they seem to hold up fine.

i know some stuff is difficult to access, but that seems to be the case with all cars, different things are difficult. however, it sounds like you've pretty much made up you're mind. if i were you i'd take the obvious choice: sell it and buy something else.

Yes, it´s a 4,0 V6 sohc. And the T-case is BW 4405, too complicated to work properly with some hidden bugs.

Back