• Register Today It's free!

door lock...

Explorer2011

Reaction score
City, State
Pensacola, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer V8
Ive had this problem sense i bought the truck every door locks except driver side i finally took panel apart and you see how a yellow/black wire was cut and i found a plug at the bottom of the frame... ive looked everywhere inside the door and don't see where this would plug into anywhere... it has a short yellow wire on the plug where it was cut.. is there a wiring diagram for a 98 ford explorer for the door lock anywhere? i just can't seem to figure this out

Driver side door lock problems are common with these vehicles. Usually, it is a broken spring on the mechanical linkage. There are many threads in this forum dealing with this subject. Usually, the problem can be fixed fairly easily and cheaply yourself, sometimes new mechanisms are needed.
Did you have a photo you could post showing the plug/wire thingy you found? It is possible that the previous owner had the problem and went digging around inside the door to try to fix it.

Ive had this problem sense i bought the truck every door locks except driver side i finally took panel apart and you see how a yellow/black wire was cut and i found a plug at the bottom of the frame... ive looked everywhere inside the door and don't see where this would plug into anywhere... it has a short yellow wire on the plug where it was cut.. is there a wiring diagram for a 98 ford explorer for the door lock anywhere? i just can't seem to figure this out

Check out this thread, Post #12 has a diagram. I recommend reading it through. There is some good info in there! http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179629

Good luck with the fix! :biggthump

Ok i think i found the problem but have no IDEA in the world how im gonna fix this without paying a professional.. On my passenger door which i took apart to see how that one was done(because its working) and i saw inside the door where the latch is there a harness like that goes into the hole of the latch and has a plug like the one thats broken off on my driver side door.. but then i went to look inside the driver door and theres no such thing on the latch inside the door its just a empty hole it looks like it was broken off why the Yellow/black wire is cut i guess and the plug was at the bottom of the door... but do they sell that part and will that really fix my problem?

IMG_20101127_140736.jpg

inside door the empty hole unlike my other door where the plug is in its spot..

IMG_20101127_140144.jpg

the cut plug

Back