• Register Today It's free!

Mach stereo.

mhersh2356

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, Fl.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer V8 AWD
:salute:I have a 1999 Explorer Eddie Bauer edition V8 all wheel drive. The radio went bad. I understand from the information on the radio itself that this is the best system they offered. It says MACH. People tell me that there is an extra amp in this system. Where is it? I cant locate this thing. Also, can I tell from the vin if in fact this thing really came with the best MACH system or maybe somebody replaced the radio with a MACH unit but my truck never had the setup for a MACH system, I bought it used of course. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have the head unit and a small subwoofer in the back of your truck, you have the Mach system- they're terribly hard to retrofit, and a Mach headunit won't work with a non-Mach wiring system.

Welcome to the forum!

:wavey:

MACH stereo

I too need to replace my stereo in my 98 explorer, however I do not know if I have a MACH stereo. Where does it say that? On the stereo itself? I cannot find my manual at the moment. I went to the Crutchfield site and it says for this vechicle if the stereo IS NOT a MACH stereo then I need an adapter:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142C4FDK6/Factory-System-Integration-Adapter.html?tp=3486
Scosche OEM Amplifier Adapter
1995-up Ford/Lincoln/Mercury/Mazda/Nissan
Item #142C4FDK6
OEA-4 (model C4FDK6B)

I took out my stereo and did see there where two connectors going to it, but I am not certain the adapter they recommend is what I need. I wish they showed more views of it.

i think the amp that you may have that you are looking for is in the back, behind the plastic paneling above the wheel area.

I too was wonder if you could determine what the original stereo was by plugging in the VIN number, kinda like Dell computers lets you do with their service tag number.

Joe Dirt: Is the woofer ur talking about in the right rear cargo area in the speaker enclosure? I pulled the cover back (real bear) and there is a 8-9 inch (maybe) speaker in there. Didn't see any kind of box that might be an amp. Where are they hiding this extra amp? It must be behind another panel because there isn't anything under the seats. The FORD service CD doesn't show a thing about this stuff! Should I pursue this factory replacement or just go to Crutchfield for a retrofit? Junkyard Mach radio will cost me $200 plus.Thanks

The subwoofer amp is attached to the black chambered box that the subwoofer installs into. It is hidden behind the plastic interior side panel close to the wheelwell. You have to pop the whole panel out to get a look at it.

I would get away from the 1999 factory radio ... these had problems with the display fading out, which is what mine did. Rebuilding them is a nice business for a few folks out there.

A later Ford stereo unit is pretty nice ... my wife's 07 Mustang has an in-dash 6 CD changer ... not 100% sure how to retro-fit it ... I believe Metra makes adapter wiring that I saw online.

There is a how-to article in the stickies at the beginning of this audio section that talks about how to adapt the system for an aftermarket head unit, which is what I am just about to undertake here. Just got a head unit that has HD radio, plays MP3s, and can drive the in-console CD changer.

The biggest challenge is to make an adapter that drops the signal that turns the amp on from 12 volts (typical on an aftermarket stereo) to 5 volts (not one of Ford's Better Ideas ... ). This can be made from Radio Shack parts and is outlined in that post. If you do not do the voltage drop, the sub will thump everytime you turn the power on.

I have made an adapter, and will dive into this soon ... wish me luck. :D

This is the amp rack, which is part of the sub enclosure on your truck...

CLICK ME

Find another junkyard, or post the part number of yours- as that price is absolutely ridiculous for a radio. Those are $30 radios all day over here...

As a worst-case, what about THIS one?

!999 Explorer Eddie Bauer Mach stereo system issues

It's been awhile since I posted about this issue. After all the searching for a factory replacement and finding that is a no win situation, getting ripped off from an ebay merchant in Georgia called Discount Radio, I finally put in an aftermarket double din sized unit I bought used from craigslist. Paid $250 plus $65 install from a local installer. Work great, looks great and problem finally solved. Moral of the story: When the radio goes bad, replace it with an up to date aftermarket unit that fits perfectly and has all the bells and whistles! Now I have full 7" screen, navigation, bluetooth for my phone, cd, dvd, mp3, memory chip for storage of files, etc.

Does it interface correctly with the factory steering wheel controls?

Yes. it just needs an adapter harness. I chose to not go this route however because I wanted to just use the controls on the unit as they are easy to access.

Back