• Register Today It's free!

stereo wiring harness???

Spreckops

Reaction score
City, State
Huntington NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT 5.0
I have a 96 explorer. I bought a dual xhd 7714 for it. i got a wiring harness the says its for a explorer my year. But the wiring harness does only fits into one of the factory plug ins. the square ones don't match. the square ones are for the speakers. So i can get my head unit to work but the speakers aren't hooked up. does anyone know where i can get the correct wiring harness.. this has to be a common problem

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are several different radio's in the year '96. I know it's a pain but if you post a picture of the radio harness it would be easier to tell which one is exactly the one you need. Below is a link which has diagrams and connections for most of the Ford radio's and perhaps you can determine from them which radio system you have. Yes ,it's a common problem in which a lot of people get mixed up and confused because Ford kept on changing radio's within the same year and some had sub woofers and external amplifiers. I hope this helps.

http://www.fordforumsonline.com/for...ration-1995-96-explorer-audio-schematics.html

so once i identify what radio i have where do i find the correct wiring harness for sale

Walmart , Advanced auto, Pep Boys, Autozone, etc all carry different ones for "Fords" and sometimes it's trail and error to fine exactly which one you need. Ebay and others like installer.com are online and they too have them available.

I'm not trying to insult you, but I don't know if you're familiar with the fact that some Ford factory radio's require a "bypass" harness to eliminate the external amplifier in the rear of the hatch area. This is due to many Ford head unit's didn't have an internal amplifier like most modern head units and instead used an external amplifier mounted in the rear hatch area to power the door speakers.

Ok so i got the correct harness and i wired it up to the headunit... when i plugged both in it would not turn on, worse yet when i plugged the stock stereo back in IT would not turn on not even the the clock... Do you guys have any idea what could have happened??

Ok so i got the correct harness and i wired it up to the headunit... when i plugged both in it would not turn on, worse yet when i plugged the stock stereo back in IT would not turn on not even the the clock... Do you guys have any idea what could have happened??
Yea you didn't unhook the battery did you? Check your fuses.

Im pretty sure i unhooked the battery before i plugged it in. When you say check the fuses do you mean in the stereos or in the car. If in the car, are the located in the fuse panel on the driverside door?
Thanks for helping me

Thank you, how do i know which fuse is for the stereo unit, if i remember correct there are many of them, and where can i buy fuses, are there different sizes? amperages?

wiring harness

I have a 96 explorer. I bought a dual xhd 7714 for it. i got a wiring harness the says its for a explorer my year. But the wiring harness does only fits into one of the factory plug ins. the square ones don't match. the square ones are for the speakers. So i can get my head unit to work but the speakers aren't hooked up. does anyone know where i can get the correct wiring harness.. this has to be a common problem

Which wiring harness did you get? I have a 98 explorer and I am looking to replace the stereo. Crutchfield tells me I need a wiring harness to bypass the amp or a different harness to incorporate my existing amp. However, none of them looks like they fit my blocky connectors that plug into the back of my existing stereo.

It says it only fits 95,96,97. My explorer is a 99 and has the factory amp like the guy with the 98 has. Will this same wire harness work for me as well? Or did they come out with a different one for the 99 year?

http://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Harnes...0LVW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1291141886&sr=8-2

I think my amp is built into the stereo and not seperate. The part number matches a stereo that someone else in these forums and they said the stereo had the amp integreated in it. I tried to verify that by looking up the part, but could not find anything. My stereo has two connectors in the back. One is for the rear seat controls. I wish I had unplugged that one years ago). The other is apparently power,speakers, etc. I assume none of these go to an amp anywhere else in the vehicle.

Back