Took the Explorer to AAMCO today... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Took the Explorer to AAMCO today...

XLTmodifire

Reaction score
City, State
Nor*Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
99' XLT (B4 Autumn Brown)
I had been having my 99 XLT sitting for a few months while I drive my other car. Prior to letting her sit, the check engine light had come on, the engine was running a bit rough, and I knew I had some kind of coolant leak.

I decide it is time to start driving her again for the winter time. I replaced the battery and the check engine light was still on at first. After letting her sit running to warm up, the check engine light turns off and it has not turned on again since. I take her to AAMCO this morning to get diagnostics check. After having her all day, they call and say this is what they have found so far...

Coolant leaks:
- timing cover gasket leak
- thermostat leak
- ECT leak

Other leaks:
- oil pan gasket
- front diff pinion seal

They also say there is play in rear drive line, and they recommend the transmission be serviced. They are not able to read the history codes from the check engine light, and have not looked into why the engine is running rough yet.

At the moment, I am only worried about the coolant leaks, and the engine running rough. The oil pan leak is so nil, it really is nothing. I'll get to the diff pinion seal later on. I'll update this post to add what they say regarding the rough engine.

After reading this, could you tell me if there is anything to worry about, or have any advice such as "be prepared for a high bill", or "you can easily fix the coolant leaks yourself", or perhaps "do not go to the West Sacramento AAMCO"?

Thanks for reading, and for any suggestions or help you may provide. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, tomorrows Monday, and I was hoping someone would come chime in prior to then. I would like some possibilities and feedback prior to going back there. Could someone please give me some advice on...

After reading this, could you tell me if there is anything to worry about, or have any advice such as "be prepared for a high bill", or "you can easily fix the coolant leaks yourself", or perhaps "do not go to the West Sacramento AAMCO"?

Thank you.

AAMCO in general is out to sell you transmission service, so unless the transmission is acting up, take their advice on that with a grain of salt.

The engine running rough could be any one of 1000 things. Plugs, wires, bad fuel from sitting so long, vacuum leak....etc.

Before letting them actually do anything to it, come back and post up what they tell you so we can see and comment on it.

Remember, they are in the business of making money off car repairs, so they will not necessarily tell you the whole truth.

Double A, Em See Oh my honk honk....

In my experience all the big name chains are only as good as their management. Never been to a midas that didnt try to sell me everything I did not need... Had a Trans Am trans done by a local Aamco dealer in the early 90's. Recommended thru a coworker who knew the owner, they did a Great job and it was incredibly cheap/reasonable (like $650 with a lifetime warranty and Trans Go shift kit installed).

I realize this info is helping but I like to get firsthand recommendations from people when getting work done I cant do. Recently took the Ex to local Ford Dealer for pinion seal replacement. It was around $170 and I am incredibly happy with that and their work.

As JD says, they are in business to make money otherwise they wouldnt be in business. Hopefully someone can chime in with firsthand knowledge about the place.

Thank you so much for your replies fellas.

Yes, that is what I'll do. I'll hear from them on Monday, and I'll let you know what they say regarding the engine running rough. I'll also reply with a price quote after hearing from them on Monday.

The management seem fairly nice. Didn't find really anything regarding reviews via Google.

I would love to take the truck to Ford, however I am very afraid of a high bill.... on parts alone. However I will still give them a call for a price quote on the water leaks, and engine running rough.

Thanks again for replying prior to Monday. I'll give you the answer I receive some time tomorrow.

rebuild trans to fix engine

AAMCO may tell you that your transmission needs to be rebuilt, the PCM has detected the transmission fault and has placed the engine in the limp home mode. If they do, I would make them prove it by DTCs or some other means.

Several years ago my Tahoe transmission developed problems. AAMCO was offerring a $999 rebuild special at the time. I took my Tahoe to them for a complete rebuild and asked for any updates and any more durable mods for an additional $400. My rebuilt transmission lasted for 2 years in light duty service before it failed. Since then I've found a locally owned shop with a good reputation that offers a 2 year guarantee who rebuilt my Tahoe and Grand Cherokee transmissions.

I agree with the previous posters - either find a shop with a good reputation or ask for a warranty longer than 90 days.

Thank you StreetRod for your insightful reply. I will certainly take your advice when discussing that with them. Thank you sir.

all
automatics
must
come
out

if it was working just leave the trans alone,,

if it was working just leave the trans alone,,
Yes indeed. My thoughts exactly regarding the transmission. I'm sure they'll stick me for the leaks and engine price wise anyway. I'll have to keep as much money as I can.
;)

OK, here is the update.

I had just gotten off the phone with them, and they say the check engine light was "cylinder misfire". They look into it and it appears to be a leaking cylinder.

She says it will take 12 hours of labor to remove, machine, and repair. They will also be replacing the ETC sensor, thermostat, upper/lower hoses, head bolts, and head gasket kit.

All of this will be costing me 1900-2100. Jesus, is this worth it? Paid 3000 for this thing. You guys think I could get this same service and parts for cheaper elsewhere?

Thanks everyone for your help.

Oh, truck has 204K

Well, does it run ok? Meaning if the check engine light is off, and it runs ok, just drive it. For 2000 you could find a shop to put a lower mileage engine.

Shade tree mechanic

I would not spend that much money on an engine with over 200K miles unless I was restoring the vehicle. You never stated what engine you have but if its the SOHC V6 low mileage engines are available at salvage yards. You might find one for $500 and a shade treee mechanic to swap the engine for $1,000 if you can't do it yourself.

Frankly, I would not have a transmission shop or a muffler shop perform major work on an engine nor would I have a engine head shop repair a transmission.

Ask how it was determined there is a cylinder leak: Is compression low? Did the pulled spark plug show it? If the head is cracked then you're stuck with a torn down engine and more expense for head replacement or repair. AAMCO used to offer inexpensive transmission filter replacements. I took my Jaguar XJ6 into AAMCO many years ago for a filter change. When I came back to pick it up pieces were laid out on a workbench and I was told it was in dire need of a rebuild. I thanked them for letting me know, told them to reassemble it so I could immediately sell it before it failed, and paid them the advertised filter replacement cost when I picked it up. I drove the XJ6 for two more years with no problems and sold it with no concerns about its reliability.

WoW I have to agree with 2000. At $2100 its nearly totalled......

Double AA, em See Oh my should I bend over and grab my ankles now or later....

Thank you gentlemen for your replies.

Yes, it is a SOHC V6. It does "run". However you can feel the misfire as a little "jolt", or just feels rough as if the timing was off. It can be driven, however it can not keep the coolant. She says it is leaking from the thermostat, or the ECT sensor.

This is not a restoration project. However I have replaced the interior with new carpet, seat belts and the such, and cleaned her all up inside. She is a really good looking truck.

I would not mind getting the engine replaced for a better price if that was possible. It does seem to keep the price lower, that would be the route to take. I suppose my next questions are...

Who do you recommend on doing a decent job, and where do you recommend to have an engine picked up? Perhaps pick-n-pull? Craigslist? As for the job, I'd like perhaps a member from the site to maybe do it. I feel I could trust they have actually done an XLT before.

Thanks again for your help. It is highly appreciated.

Wow - they are on the chronic... I have never heard of a head gasket job costing $2100 that is insanely over priced.. :wtf:

Well if its leaking from the thermostat it wouldn't be leaking into the engine causing a misfire like a head gasket or anything. Did they say why it misses? I would fix the leak if the miss isn't related to that. If you have the money find a different shop. If not, drive it til it dies after the leak is fixed.

My parents Oldsmobile Bravada had an intake gasket blowout it dumped coolant into the engine. The one cylinder now has an awful miss. It shake really bad at idle, has a slight loss of power, and a random check engine light. It has running that way since it had 90k it has 142k on it now and still chugging along.

As far as an engine swap, that may be your best bet if it isn't a head gasket or something. Last time my family needed that done we took our car to a local shop and they found a motor with 55k on it and did the swap for about 2000.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I would probably steer closer to getting it fixed rather than letting it run as such. But if money is tight enough, who knows. LOL

I did a quick search. Of course no prices due to too late to call. However a warranty does sound nice. And installation too:
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/pts/2090085916.html

Any one ever heard / experianced "Select Auto Care"?
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Select+Auto+Care+sacramento&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Thanks again everyone. Truly is nice to have such great and quick replies.

I called Select Auto, and they said for a 93K engine put in w/1year warranty will be 1900. AAMCO says that they will replace my engine as well, and may be able to beat my price given. I have not called AAMCO back yet to give them the quote of 1900.

Any "shade tree" mechanics you gentlemen suggest? I'll be calling AAMCO tonight prior to them closing.

Thanks again for everything.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

LOL, could you imagine how much beer and BBQ 1900 would be? Hell, I'm game for anything that would save me some money. That's for sure.

Back