2005 Explorer XLT 4.0. Ticking noise in the valve train. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Explorer XLT 4.0. Ticking noise in the valve train.

Reaction score
City, State
NorthCentral illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT 4door 4
On the pass side of my 4.0 05 xlt explorer i have a ticking noise that is not effecting the running at all. It runs on 6 cylinders clearly and has power,yet it is defenitely right under the pass side valve cover. No smokes no leaks no A Freeze in oil it is just a constant tick at idle and all speeds and gets slightly less violent the warmer it gets yet still bad. Broken valve spring? Loose cam bolts , loose follower/lifter (to some),timing chain (not likely runs so good) has anyone seen this before on these and what was the fix. Anyone who seriously knows about cars please answer i am a very experienced tech.just looking for clarity from someone who has seen this exact problem and please no younger know it alls who just guess on things from what they heard their dad or uncles say. I just changed out an 05 explorer 4.0 last week and have some spare parts on hand from old engine so im looking for someone who knows this problem to save me some time before i tear her down. Would like to save this engine but if i see its that bad im not gonna fix just replace whole engine so also if anyone has an 05 Explorer 4.0 with lower miles(10k-90k) for sale let me know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oil pressure is up and good and its defenitely not a fuel injector.

Then I'd say, probably timing chain tensioner. These SOHC V6's have been plagued with the timing chain tensioner problems. Its something that may need attention. Me, I have to get my X diagnosed first.

Well thats what i had guessed too the tensioner just didnt want to say it then everyone else would repeat it. Oh its a problem that needs attention all right , Im tearing it down tommorrow anyways just trying to see if this is a common problem across the board and so far chalk up one for TC tensioners from you and maybe one from me ill post tommorrow afternoon when i see for sure what it is but let me know what you find out on yours maybe something we can help each other on who knows. good luck.

Well....
Got my explorer back...The service advisor and mechanic both say fuel injectors are the ticking culprits

Its diagnosed and fixed whoever replied to me.

It wasnt a tensioner or fuel injector or anything like that. I listened to both sides on valve covers with a stethoscope and found the noise to be prevalent on the pass side valve cover. I took off the intake and some hoses brackets etc. to get to said valve cover on pass. side and popped it off. Within 2 seconds i saw what the problem was. On the number one cylinder(right in front for those who dont know what number one is on a 4.0 ford) i saw the rocker was sitting a little off to the right and upon further inspection the pressed in pin that goes thru the rocker was falling out. So much so that it was rubbing the inside of the head and thus that would make a tick but didnt ruin the head or even the mating surface for the valve cover. I had just changed out a 4.0 in an 05 explorer a week before so i had the bad engine still sitting outside and stole the rocker off it. I broke loose the cam bolts all of them not too much to start just a few turns and turned over the crank until the cam was fully off the number one rocker arm. Loosened up the bolts a little more on the cam half way out and was able to weasel it out of there and slid the new one back in. Did a quick look at the ports for dirt and stuff and checked the rest of the rockers to see if they were good and put on intake and etc. and it fired right up and runs like a watch. Hour and a half was all it took from start to finish. I bought this truck for 2 grand because of this ticking noise and it now works perfect im gonna make some money boys.....woo hooooooooo

Good deal and fix there :thumbsup: how many miles on that truck?

Low enough for me to quadruple my money ice cube. Itll probably sell for around 7500-8000 based on how it looks in and out but id take 7500 for it, this truck is immaculate and i cant believe how much they go for. Theyre listing these 05's for 12k 13k all day and im gonna list this for 8200 and it should go fast. Talk about your fast turn around.

wow, I do have the same problem on my 2002 explorer XLT 4.0L, computer show a misfire on cylinder 1, I'll do the inspection inmediatelly on the mentioned roccker. hope it is the problem!!

Back