1997 Mountaineer into 1959 Ford F100 Build Diary | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Mountaineer into 1959 Ford F100 Build Diary

In my opinion the diagrams look really good. I am still interested in seeing how the 59 body would sit on such a frame. I know the drawings are rough, but because of that dip in the frame are you going to have to make some modifications to the cab to keep it from looking off? Also isn't the 8.8 a little short to run under the '59? I thought the older trucks ran full size axles?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In my opinion the diagrams look really good. I am still interested in seeing how the 59 body would sit on such a frame. I know the drawings are rough, but because of that dip in the frame are you going to have to make some modifications to the cab to keep it from looking off? Also isn't the 8.8 a little short to run under the '59? I thought the older trucks ran full size axles?

Excellent Question! There will be modifications to the cab, such as replacing the 59 firewall and floor with that of the explorer. It will be a PITA, but will make the cab fit so much better. as far as the 8.8, the hub to hub on the 8.8 is 59.5 inches, and the ford 9" in the 59 is i believe 61.5 inches, so I will have to relocate the axle perches 1 inch outward on either side, otherwise, its a perfect fit.

hi there buddy, i have been following your build and I take my hat off to the attempt to make this swap. and the fact that you completely disassembled an explorer with a sawzall.

I have one comment on your frame modification with the second frame mesh design, the notch which you are planning to cut will weaken the rear of your frame significantly, and you will not gain as much suspension travel with the notch as you require, because you want the rear leafs to be in complete compression and still have space left over. I like the intial design where you have it set up as a spring under axle, once you have your frame clearances set and you have the choice of springs set you can then figure out your maximum loading and your travel distances,

I would heavily recommend not notching that rear frame.

I would heavily recommend not notching that rear frame.

X2. Or If you do, reinforce it heavily. Remember, a steel member's strength comes from it's height (think I beam or C channel). By cutting a notch halfway into the frame, you weaken it by roughly 50%.

Also, consider how the 59 cab will sit on the X frame before you make cuts. Body Mounts? Engine Clearance? Steering/Brake Master Clearance, etc.

What CAD program are you using, and where did you/how did you make the frame profile for the trucks?

X2. Or If you do, reinforce it heavily. Remember, a steel member's strength comes from it's height (think I beam or C channel). By cutting a notch halfway into the frame, you weaken it by roughly 50%.

Also, consider how the 59 cab will sit on the X frame before you make cuts. Body Mounts? Engine Clearance? Steering/Brake Master Clearance, etc.

What CAD program are you using, and where did you/how did you make the frame profile for the trucks?

A notch in the frame is nto set in stone at this time, just an idea. But yes, it would be reinforced with a triangulated c frame up top above the pumpkin of the rear axle. Probably by using peices of the old explorer frame :p:

As far as the cab, ill know more when I get it in the garage. Im having a feeling i will have to cut out the 59 floor and firewall and graft in the explorer floor and firewall to compensate for the increase height of the motor and tranny. If you look at the explorer frame, the tranny sits considerably high above the top frame rails. In the factory 59 setup, it barely sits above the rails, so just setting the cab on the modified frame, the tranny and most likely the motor, will hit the floor of the cab before it even mounts.

Speaking of mounts, from my intial eyeballing, the front cab mounts will be explorer spec, the rear cab mounts will be 59 spec. Again, all this is subject to change. Reason I say this is every thread and every picture i have found on the net using explorer parts, the f100 is sub 1956...cabs changed greatly in 57 by becoming wider with intergraded running boards. Because of this, I dont know how the cab will fit exactly until i get a template or the real deal in my hot little hands :D

As far as cad drawings, i wish I was that talented. I used MS paint and ford body specs for my drawings and just modified the drawings to fit my needs. That way, the wheel placement is roughly in the right spot. And you know, i have started entertaining the idea of increasing the wheelbase on the 59 after all depending on how the stock wheel centerlines feel the wheelwells. this would be a pure cosmetic change only....that and I wouldnt have to shorten the driveshaft :D

Much obliged! Can't wait to see where this project ends up.

Got a couple new 'to scale' renderings of how the truck body will sit on the modified frame. Im very excited on how this turned out!

stock 59 frame:
68164_667384644101_44013058_36377721_3322863_n.jpg

modified frame: :D
68274_667343890771_44013058_36376953_4311356_n.jpg

Subscribing.
Remarkable work. I'm also amazed at the work you've done this far with what looks to be a rather small garage. I don't think I could tackle this even with a pro shop! :)
Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Got a couple new 'to scale' renderings of how the truck body will sit on the modified frame. Im very excited on how this turned out!

stock 59 frame:
68164_667384644101_44013058_36377721_3322863_n.jpg

modified frame: :D
68274_667343890771_44013058_36376953_4311356_n.jpg

I might have missed this, but why do you need to notch the frame if it's already set up for leaf springs?

I might have missed this, but why do you need to notch the frame if it's already set up for leaf springs?

I am anticipating notching the frame because I will only have 1-2 inches of suspension travel of the axle before it hits the frame. The way the explorer leaf springs are designed, the werent meant to have the mount points horizonally level from each other, even more so when the f100 frame is designed with Axle Over Spring design. Notching the frame will allow me to increase the rear axle suspension travel and not bottom out.

This truck will not be designed and built as a show truck, I fully intend to use it like a truck. So practical and funtional needs are taking presendence, despite the fact it will be lowered a considerable amount.

Heres another rendering Ive completed to kinda show the design direction I want to go externally:

63390_667811713251_44013058_36385377_340251_n.jpg

Have you considered 2 inch lift springs and a 2 inch TT to make it higher without having to notch the frame? You'd also get increased load capacity which would help if you're using it as a work truck. Or are you going for the street truck look?

Justin

Nice work!
like I said before I knew it wouldn't take long for you to surpass my point in my build. I love your CAD drawings... it let's you really see what the rake will be like. I can't wait for Spring to hit so I can get back to mine. I'll be doing a little body prep to the old '49 over the winter. I've got a solid idea of how I want mine to look when it's done... old skool.
I look forward to seeing your progress... do you have some sort of timeline for your project? Looks like your making steady progress.

Have you considered 2 inch lift springs and a 2 inch TT to make it higher without having to notch the frame? You'd also get increased load capacity which would help if you're using it as a work truck. Or are you going for the street truck look?

Justin

Justin, I am going for more a street look for the truck in truth, but even with it 'lowered' it will still retain the same ground clearences as the stock explorer frame until i settle the rear end down some. Forum member Corkey and I were talking today, and I might get a bit of lift in the front with a coilover swap, so i think in the end it will level itself out very well while still have some ground clearence :)

I look forward to seeing your progress... do you have some sort of timeline for your project? Looks like your making steady progress

My arbitrary time at this point is somewehre between 2 years or infinity. Dont know when I could have this completed, but if I plan everything ahead, and measure correctly, It should move rather smoothly....but I know from experience when messing with an old vehilce like this, there are so many problems you dont know about, it could easily take forever. I just need to stay motivated and clear on my goals and my dreams can come true :D

This thread has just been... WOW. I mean, WOW. Can't wait to see the final product.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, nothing really new to report seeing as its drawing closer to the christmas season and frankly its been damn cold in the garage. Needless to say, the chassis are still sitting, but this week I WILL remove the explorer driveline and strip the wirewheel the chassis. By plan is to get the chassis measured up where I will cut, and by January, have the frames grafted. So to appease the masses for my lack of work the last few days, I present more photos of years past of the 59...

My uncle with the pickup in California, circa 1965
39458_669582290001_44013058_36417628_6868850_n.jpg

The condition I pulled the truck out. This is circa 1988
163973_669582339901_44013058_36417631_7037653_n.jpg

162858_669582434711_44013058_36417635_7675654_n.jpg

Back