• Register Today It's free!

Full tank or not?

ShawnTRD

Reaction score
City, State
Spener, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer Limited
I've now used two Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner (20 oz.) for the past 2 tanks and I'm getting ready to do the third. Our fuel gauge hasn't been working. Saying E and -- miles till empty. But last two tanks it started work alittle. It would show maybe 1/4 tank when we have like 1/2 to 3/4. Around 150 miles trip on a full tank. But once I fill the tank the fuel gauge goes back to E and -- miles till empty. So should I fill the tank to get the cleaner to the top of the tank? I'm worried that not filling it my wife will run out of gas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wasn't going to comment because I hate being the bearer bad news but it sounds like your fuel level sensor unit is bad. Is your service engine light on?
My friend that works at a Ford dealership says that this is a relatively common and expensive problem. The sensor itself is ~160 but I believe he said they charge 4 hours in labor to drop the fuel tank to do the work.
I remember reading an article on here about cutting the floor to get to the fuel pump. This would be much cheaper than dropping the tank.

Yep Ford has tsb for either new fuel pump or sending unit depending on build date. Fuel pumps are expensive.

Yeah I know. Ford has a lot of TSB's.

Damn straight... :D

I had problems with the fuel gauge on my '03 XLS. Sometimes would work fine, but other times I would fill the tank, and gauge would be stuck on E. It would take overnight to slowly move to F. It acted up mostly in cold weather, but not always. I just lived with it, as it would usually eventually read "Full"....just took a few hours.

Anyone know how hard it is to drop the gas tank on a 05?

Now this post may upset mechanics that something is wrong with the vehicle that needs to be unbolted and replaced and that could possibly be the case (The manufacturer does have an issue with the pump on these explorers). However...2005 owner of 4 litre flex explorer. Fuel guage failure and mileage gauge failure. Guage would erratially begin to work and would fail when tank was filled. Ford dealership kindly took payment to read code and tell me TSB on issue was sulphur related to fuel pump. Fuel tank would have to be dropped and pump replaced.

Solution, here anyway. Purchased OBD code reading tool with erase mode just to get the warning light off your mind. Continue to use an additive...The Techron was used in my case and it took probably 4 uses in 2 months to get the guage to read. ($30 dollars approx. + tool) Continue to use a fuel system cleaner at recommeded intervals, no problem since and no dropping tank, that is a lot of fun on a weekend.

(Today's fuel quality is really terrible)

Good luck

Back