Heater/thermostat problem please help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heater/thermostat problem please help!

mercer21

Reaction score
City, State
NEWFOUNDLAND CANADA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 EXPLORER LIMITED
Hey, I have a 2002 ford explorer limited, and last week I noticed that my heater wasn't working it was blowing just cold air unless I was driving and the RPMs were up then it would work a little but just ideling it was cold, so I had it put i'n the garage and the thermostat was gone so the garage replaced it and put a new bottle of anti-freeze i'n, it fixes the problem for about 5 days and now it's back to freezing again any one els experiencing anything like this or is there a reason I'm blowing thermostats so quick? Or could it be something els?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you check the anti freeze level? You may have a leak.

Good point by edwx below...Check your heater hose lines and see if they are warm. Be careful, they can get really hot.

Is your temperature gauge stuck on cold also?

No visible leaks, nothing i'n my drive way and no temp. Gauge works perfect, after the garage put i'n the new thermostat and new antifreeze it was fine for about a week now it's cold again, and no leaks so i'n guessing the thermostat broke again but why would this happen so quickly??

I have the same problem
The dealer said that the thermostat was bad. I replaced it and now its blowing cold again. Is there a different thermastat that can be used?

If the thermostat was stuck-open you'd have cold air, but the temp. gauge would be stuck on cold also & you say the temp. gauge shows warm, so it must be something other than the thermostat.

There must be some sort of temperature sensor/sender somewhere. Maybe you could find it and test it.

I just had it fixed for a week it was the thermostat was blown or broken and it was replaced and it worked fine for a week now it's not working again and yes the temp. Gauge works fine so I don't think it's anything stuck open too me it seems like its blowing thermostats for some reason, anyone els got any ideas?? Here's the recap-

- blowing cold air when the heat is on
- garage replaced a broken thermostat
- had it fixed for a week
- after a week heat stopped again
- temp. Gauge works fine and always have
- no leaking seen of anti. Freeze

So your temp. gauge is in the red (showing warm,) and you're still getting cold air??

Yeah temp. Gauge is fine, I don't know what ya mean by i'n the red it's i'n the middle of the gauge as i'n being a normal temperature it don't be overheated or on cOld once the truck warms up, it's where it's suppose to be.

Sorry, you're right....I mean in the middle (there are no colors-braincramp).

So it sounds like your thermostat is opening properly, and the coolant is circulating.

Maybe blend door/actuator issue. ie. blend door or actuator is broken, and the flap is stuck in the cold position. Is there any sound, like clicking or flapping coming from the center vent when you rotate the temp. dial, or at different fan speeds?

Other than that, I don't know much about the heater/core....someone else might though.

So I figured out that I was leaking anti-freeze, I filled up the bottle tonite and heat was working great but the funny thing is that she don't leak it all out there don't be enough gone that effects the engine it seems like once it gets to all most the bottom of the overflow bottle it stops leaking but the spot on the pavement bes directly under the rad or close to it, any ideas on what this could be and estimate of supply's and cost needed to fix??

if it leaks from your overflow, replace your radiator cap

sounds like its leaking from your overflow, replace your radiator cap

If the problem persists check underneath the passenger side carpet if it is wet then you have a leak in the heater radiator.
The reason I say this is because I own a 2000 Ford Explorer and had the same problem but before I realized the problem my Explorer overheated and had to replace the motor.
If it is and you dont want to spend a lot of money just cancel the 2 houses located in the motor by folding them.
By doing this you effectively will not have any water leaking but also no heater and the AC will always blow cold even on the heater setting.

If the problem persists check underneath the passenger side carpet if it is wet then you have a leak in the heater radiator.

On that note, if you do have an inside leak from the radiator (heater core) the smell is overwhelmingly sweet. I would think that you'd smell it the most when the heater is on too

Back