boosted | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

boosted

gt fast

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xl
ok im running a 1992 explorer 4x2 4.0. now, i just bought this truck a week ago and already have done a airraid cold air intake, flowmaster 40 series muffler, new shocks,springs on front end. now im well aware intakes dont boost your hp, and damn to all you who say they are pointless, couse some of us guys have a engine that lags the light to light acceleration like crazy, so the intake does help getting your truck up to speed between traffic lights. but, how much PSI can the stock motor take. ive got a greddy turbo laying in my garage that i think i wantr to mount up, anyone know what the motor can take, and whas a milage i shouldn t go past on these. i have 170 thousand on it from what the odom says.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only thing I really ever see on here about turbos is how much you should NOT have one on a first gen. Considering the initial quality of the engine and transmission to begin with , I'd have to agree if you don't want it to blow up.

What kind of turbo do you have? You can't just slap any old turbo on anything, different size/trim turbos for different applications. Though, if I were to bump up horsepower on these trucks, I would hope I had a manual transmission... As far as I can tell, these motors shouldn't have much problem with boost, the question is whether you can manage to get enough fuel in and adjust the timing and all that. Plus a different cam would be helpful too. These motors can last a LONG time.... well, head problems aside, but not a lot of them.... mostly just ticking lifters from all that fun stuff wearing out....

Also, I have never seen an airraid intake for a 1st gen.... Are you talking about an airraid panel filter replacement? Because I know they make those....

Aftermarket panel filters in a stock air box DO NOT flow any more air than an oem paper filter. Air flow through the box is not in ANY way restricted by the filter, the air box simply won't flow any more air than the OEM paper filter can flow. Believe me, I have tried several vehicles airboxes on a flow bench back in the day because I had heard that K&N filters flowing better was a myth, so I wanted to find out for myself.

If that doesn't work for you, do the math. You have an air box with an under 3 inch diameter (7 square inches) opening, and you have a paper filter that has 40 square inches of surface area. Do you REALLY believe that that small opening can flow more air than that BIG filter? There is a reason air boxes are big BOXES. That is so they can accommodate a filter large enough to flow the air a vehicle needs. Those demo boxes at the parts store are made to mislead you. Of course the filter flows more air, but that doesn't do crap for anything if more air cannot reach the filter.

Don't start telling me about what a change it made in your truck, because it didn't. You just think it did because you spent $40 on an air filter.

ok so ill go no boost. and dude look. i had a airraid intake pipe and a filter. 6" diamter end to end with coupling downsize on the intake tube side to let filter fit. the mass air flow sensor im using is that off a k&n intake i had a while ago. for installation, i took the window washer fluid/radiator overflow tank and remounted it on the other side of engine bay, right next to the fuse panel and the heatercore area. now when looking at the 4.0 from the front of truck, the old filter setup went out of intake and took a left then did its bussiness going from box to pipe to bends all over. mine goes right, bends 45 degrees left then a small bend down. sits nicely right where the old tank sat. plenty of airflow threw there and just the right amount of space to mount a bracket. so with running premium gas, the intake and a muffler, it does help the acceleration. and if you so believe im wrong, then maybe we should meet up ill throw stock parts back on let you drive then put aftermarket parts on, and then you will understand what i am saying. and in no way do i mean any disrespect

i had a boosted 2nd gen 4.0 ohv, i ran 10-15 psi on it for a year untuned before it detnated its self to death. here is a short video of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt6F6qPBU6U

and my motor had 270k.

ok so ill go no boost. and dude look. i had a airraid intake pipe and a filter. 6" diamter end to end with coupling downsize on the intake tube side to let filter fit. the mass air flow sensor im using is that off a k&n intake i had a while ago. for installation, i took the window washer fluid/radiator overflow tank and remounted it on the other side of engine bay, right next to the fuse panel and the heatercore area. now when looking at the 4.0 from the front of truck, the old filter setup went out of intake and took a left then did its bussiness going from box to pipe to bends all over. mine goes right, bends 45 degrees left then a small bend down. sits nicely right where the old tank sat. plenty of airflow threw there and just the right amount of space to mount a bracket. so with running premium gas, the intake and a muffler, it does help the acceleration. and if you so believe im wrong, then maybe we should meet up ill throw stock parts back on let you drive then put aftermarket parts on, and then you will understand what i am saying. and in no way do i mean any disrespect

why exactly are you running premium gas? You know higher octane doesn't increase horsepower. Higher octane is just an increased resistance to detonation...

If you REALLY believe that your intake helps your acceleration, you can go ahead and believe that. I have worked on a lot of cars over the years, and I would like to think in all my experience and testing, I have learned a thing or two.

I am a novice with the idiosyncrasy of the Explorer ECM and again not to step on your toes but if he's running "premium" gas at a higher octane rating his chance of detonation is reduced. Higher octane does not make more power, tuning for higher octane does. Detonation will make the computer retard the timing which will take away power.

i run the higher octane couse i have that annoying valve/lifter tick. it makes the tick not as loud as if i was to run the lower octane fuel. im well aware it doesnt help in any way of power. and im not saying the acceleration is that much better. im trying to simply say it improves my throttle response by the slightest bit, and it helps maybe 2% at most. im not doubting anyones facts opinions or knowledge in anyway. we all work on our vehicles couse thats what we do.

i run the higher octane couse i have that annoying valve/lifter tick. it makes the tick not as loud as if i was to run the lower octane fuel. im well aware it doesnt help in any way of power. and im not saying the acceleration is that much better. im trying to simply say it improves my throttle response by the slightest bit, and it helps maybe 2% at most. im not doubting anyones facts opinions or knowledge in anyway. we all work on our vehicles couse thats what we do.

I would fix that before bolting on a bunch of "power adders", but that's just me... Sometimes the fix for the tick is as simple as having your injectors cleaned, but it isn't that much money to replace lifters, rockers, pushrods and all that noise.... Plus it is a good experience for in the future if you want to do some of those other types of things, like adding boost.

Back