• Register Today It's free!

Air only comes out defrost vents

drothgeb

Reaction score
City, State
Blacksburg, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4x4
So after I got my Explorer back from getting the front end fixed I no longer get air to come out of the chest/face vents. I've checked all of the vaccuum tubes and can't find any leaks or anything disconnected. Where do I go from here? Any way something up front could've gotten damaged when the header panel was replaced? I want to fix this asap since it's been in single digits around here and I'd like some hot air to actually hit me.
Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a black 'ball' vacuum canister under the airbox, bolted UNDER the X....you literally have to have your head next to the front passenger side tire to see it.

There should be 2 vacuum lines going to/from there. I suspect your vacuum lines aren't connected, that is the only thing in the FRONT of your X that would have any effect on your HVAC system.

Ryan

Thanks, I'll take a look when it's light outside

Took it back to the body shop that did work on it after the accident and asked them to take a look at the vacuum reservoir while doing some other stuff I was scheduled to come in for. Apparently they forgot to hook up a couple tubes. All good now! Thanks. By the way does anyone have any pics of where it is on the SOHC?? I can only find pics of it in the 5.0 and OHV.

It should be in the same location...but I'm not 100% sure...I've never taken apart a SOHC Explorer...but I can't imagine it being much different..

Ryan

Back