Baking grease under car??

willindsay

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Sevierville,TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited
Ok so I got home from college for winter break last night a 2.5hr drive car did fine. But today I back out the drive to take something to my mom and I have a thumping noice coming from the rear possibly. Couldn't really tell drove about .10 mi and turned around.

I thought it might be the hubs still locked cause we had some snow and I used 4w to get up the driveway. So I drove in reverse for a few to see if it would unlock them. No go same noise and thumping.

Now I had a vibration awhile ago from 50-60 but it had went away.

Here the puddle I found in the carport. Now I know there is some oil and water there but I've never seen anything turn white like this.

IMG00326-20101216-1612.jpg

Any suggestions would be great. Once the rain goes away I plan to check the Rear diff fluid level.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is it gear oil? You'll know if you smell it, it has a very unique and over powering smell. Doesn't look like much oil there though, mostly the mystery while fluid. The usual cause for that is oil and coolant mixing from something like a blown head gasket. Was the puddle under the back of the car or the front? Can you see any of it on the underside of the explorer anywhere?

You didn't run over anything like this, did you?

pillsbury_doughboy.jpg

I've normally seen a milky yellow foam when a headgasket goes and that looks pretty close. Rear end is normally grayish in color and the smell really sticks to your nostrils lol. Check everything sooner than later.

It was under the rear of the car. My first guess was head gasket too but Coolant is normal bright green and the oil is the normal color and clear since it was change less than 500 miles ago. Didn't see anything under car but it's raining here and the under carrige is soaked. Was goona crawl under it today but it's raining and dark out and I have no good lights so it will wait till tomorrow.

You know, judging by the moisture on the slab, that can be calcium (common drying agent) coming up out of the concrete, or even efflorescence.

I think what's under the concrete is the problem, not what's sitting on top... ;)

You know, judging by the moisture on the slab, that can be calcium (common drying agent) coming up out of the concrete, or even efflorescence.

I think what's under the concrete is the problem, not what's sitting on top... ;)

That's a possibility but it's never done it in the 3yrs we have lived here.

I'm leaning towards the rear diff. It's been leaking for a while and when I told my mom she said it looked like the fluid that was in our Ranger's diff when she had it changed. Mine has also been leaking so it's a good possibility.

So as of now my plan is to pull the fill plug and check the level and assuming it's low take the cover off drain, reseal and refill.

One question though what do I use for the gasket I've heard black RTV but not sure? I'll do a search in and see what I come up with.

RTV black good for the oil based stuff. Should be an easy job. Cheap too even if you have to replace the cover

Cheap I wish. I just looked up the price of the gear oil it's $20 a quart and I need 3 plus the another $6 for the RTV but I guess it could be a lot worse.

Cheap I wish. I just looked up the price of the gear oil it's $20 a quart and I need 3 plus the another $6 for the RTV but I guess it could be a lot worse.

order the redline synthetic 75w90 from summit racing.... much cheaper there.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RED-57904/

You can order amsoil for about the same price directly from amsoil

http://www.amsoil.com/a/synthetic-gear-oil

You want just the long life synthetic gear lube SAE 75w-90

As for what is under your truck..... that doesn't look like something that came from your truck. Oil needs to be mixed REALLY well with water to turn milky like that and it usually separates fairly quickly. You must have something else spilled there too.

order the redline synthetic 75w90 from summit racing.... much cheaper there.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RED-57904/

You can order amsoil for about the same price directly from amsoil

http://www.amsoil.com/a/synthetic-gear-oil

You want just the long life synthetic gear lube SAE 75w-90

As for what is under your truck..... that doesn't look like something that came from your truck. Oil needs to be mixed REALLY well with water to turn milky like that and it usually separates fairly quickly. You must have something else spilled there too.

I don't have the time for an order so I have to go with what is readily available.

Now as to the weight I thought Ford recommended 75W-140 for the rear?

you can buy a gallon size jug-o-80w90 for $19 at oreilly or advance

you can buy a gallon size jug-o-80w90 for $19 at oreilly or advance

Ya I've seen those but I'm looking for synthetic and 75w-140. It seems to be the consensus when I searched it here some time ago.

I use the 75w90 personally. I don't really think the 8.8 needs 140 weight oil at operating temperature honestly under normal or even a little over normal loads.... I'd rather just keep with the lighter oil and see a higher return on fuel economy. I guess if I was really worried about it, I would go with the heavy duty shockproof oil.

Ok all the recomendations got me searching again and ya'll are right. If it has to be changed I'll be going with Mobil 1 Synthetic in 75w90 and since it'll be off I'll pick up a steel Dorman cover just to get rid of the crappy fiberglass cover.

no, you were right, the recommendation is 75w90 for the front 75w140 for the rear. I just don't see that as necessary.

Whatgear oil are you using? Basic 75-90 Weight Rear axle gear oil is about $6 a quart ( GL5)
Synthetic? You can but I'm not sure why you would. I have 3 cars wth over 300K miles on them and I use Dino Oil. And especially the Rear axle. Just throwing you money away on the hype of synthetic.

Redline and Amsoil is overkill. That's def. not diff fluid. It looks kinda like white lithium grease but that obviously wouldn't be leaking from the truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Redline and Amsoil is overkill. That's def. not diff fluid. It looks kinda like white lithium grease but that obviously wouldn't be leaking from the truck.

That white lithium grease look is when Gear oil and water mix.
When you came home the other night did you park over water in teh driveway?

Back