• Register Today It's free!

Runs real rough when cold....

masterpete

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer XLS
Well I'm posting this for my sister. She has a 98 Explorer XLT. 4.0 SOHC V6 4x4. When you start it cold it has a high idle and runs like it has a misfire and it chugs and shakes she says. It takes quit a while for it to actually warm up now also. Once it does warm up it drives normal. Her husband changed the iac, temp sensor, egr, and maf. Still runs the same. Any help would be great.

Pete

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A high idle speed at cold start is possibly due to leaking upper and lower intake manifold gaskets. Are there any DTCs such as P0171 and P0174 (too lean Bank1 and Bank2)?

Those were the exact codes that came out. 171 and 174.

Intake gaskets are known problem on SOHC engine.

Gaskets are like $15 at autozone. Just did mine this weekend and wasnt a hard job at all as long as you have the right tools.

Intake Gaskets

I did mine last weekend for a cold / rough idle. It fixed it right up! I was getting the P0174 lean code on the CEL. Also changed the PCV valve while it was easy to get to, its ~ $3 at AZ so be sure and swap yours out. I cleaned the MAF with cleaner and also the IAC and throttle body. But the intake gaskets ( upper and lower ) were the main culprits.

Take your time and label all the vacuum lines and electrical plugs for an "idiot-proof" project.:usa:

Back