4x4 Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ahteixeira4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Turlock, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
Ok so my electronic 4x4 is not working right. The light will come on dimly when I start the truck up cold, but it is not engaged. Nothing happens when I push the button even the light stays on. Any other time nothing, no lights, no sounds, no 4wd. Before I start spending money I wanted to be sure with no clicks is that still the shift motor? I’m pretty sure that it is but I just want to be sure. If it is what is a better solution than just changing it again as this is the second one that I have had to change? Thank you in advance for the help and advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

when did you replace the shift motor? where did you get it, junkyard? have you done the 4x4 module test?

It was about 6 months ago. Yes it was from a local auto wrecker. I only used the 4x4 once. I'm pretty sure it is the shift motor. I am mostly curios if there is a better way to go about things. I know i can take it off and take it apart and check all the brushings. what is the 4x4 module test? is that just listing for the click coming from the module in the back by the back washer fliud?

It was about 6 months ago. Yes it was from a local auto wrecker. I only used the 4x4 once. I'm pretty sure it is the shift motor. I am mostly curios if there is a better way to go about things. I know i can take it off and take it apart and check all the brushings. what is the 4x4 module test? is that just listing for the click coming from the module in the back by the back washer fliud?

It'd be a cheap fix if it was only that plastic stop in the shift motor that needed replacing. Give it a look and see. From now on push that button at least once a month, or more, to keep it free and loose. They get sticky from lack of use, the parts in the motor drive not the button:D

Back