4.0L SOHC balance shaft. Why/what if? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0L SOHC balance shaft. Why/what if?

ncranchero

Co-moderator
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver,NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 F150 XLT 4x4
1. Why does the 4.0 SOHC have a balance shaft in the 4x4 and not in the 4x2 ?

2. What are the consequences of replacing a balance shaft engine with a non-balance shaft engine?

I have a '01 4.0L in a Trac and a guy wants it to put in an '03 Explorer 4x4. I told him there was a difference but he still wants it.

Help me out with some explanation please.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interchangable

Balance Shaft myth debunked!!

Personally, I would be comfortable interchanging balance shaft and non-balance shaft engines. Some members have replaced their balance shaft engines with non-balance shaft engines with no later problems. The engine should be more responsive to throttle change with less rotating mass.

Okay, that works. Now, is there any differences in the long block in a flex-fuel '03 and a non-flex '01?

Thanks for the help, Dale! Long days this week and haven't had much search time.

Balance shaft

Yes I too am on this venture. I have a 99 explorer 4x4 and looked at a 02 4.0 motor not knowing it was from a 4x2. Are the blocks the same? What makes the blocks different? Can I take the balance shaft from my motor and put it in the other motor? Thanks for any help?

I put a non balance shaft motor in my 98 and its been 7,000 miles no issues at all runs great .Flex fuel is different

I installed an 02 engine in my 01 I had to use the 01 intake/plentium because of the wiring and sensor's loactions the coil bracket and wiring on the 01 is in the rear 02 up front.

Back