• Register Today It's free!

4.0 mpg

rangerracer29

Reaction score
City, State
ventura, california
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ranger XLT
i have an 02 4.0 ranger and the mileage isnt good. what can i change or upgrade to boost my economy?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is your mileage? The 4.0L will probably see anywhere from 12-17 average.

The 4.0's don't get very good mileage to begin with, they're not a 4 cylinder. I average about 15-19 mpg just depending on where I'm going, whether it be highway or city.

Whats your average milage and give us a little info on your truck. 4wd? Auto or Manual? Any check engine codes? Do a search Aldive milage monster and that should give you some good ideas.

XLT :its a 2wd and the 4.0 only came auto that year from the factory its stock . as for codes idk the check engine light isnt on.

MACHGIRL: i know its no 4 cylinder, i just wish i got even 18 mpg but it barely gets 14-15

Your milage is about right on. I could have sworn the manual was offered in 2002 mated to the sohc. Have you kept the maintenace up? If you are looking for some mods to help you might want to look at an electric fan, underdrive pullies, and switching all fluids to synthetics.

ya i only bought it in may, but i do have synthetic oil in it, i thoughht about the fan, was also thinking a new air intake maybe.

yikes! so the most you get even on the highway is 14mpg?!!:eek::eek::eek:

well i do mostly highway driving and only a smal amou of around town andi get 15 max.

I get 18 in the city and about 20-23 highway depending on how I drive

damn that would be nice, i think the need of a tuneup is part of my problem

If you don't mind a rougher ride. Air the tires up over the 35psi. I run about 43psi, I also have a spectre air filter with the stock air box. Run good plugs and use synthetic oils.

ya i was planing on upgrading the plugs, ill give the tires pressure a try. thx .

So, did it get any better?

yes it is a lil better this week, going to get the full tune up very soon too. im getting about 16ish now possibly more with the tuneup and hings to come.

I have a 96 Explorer 4wd with an auto tranny and its the 4.0 V-6 and it was getting roughly 10 mpg when I got it last year ... put new autolite platinum plugs and autolite pro wires and a K&N air filter ... ran some synthetic oil and changed the fuel filter... now I get a consistent 15 mpg running in the mountains of eastern KY ... when you do a tune up do it right ... you may spend $30 or more on the better upgrades , but its well worth the money in the long run. You also won't have to worry about replacing the stuff again near as quickly as you would the budget stuff ... you get what you pay for.

4.0 OHV w/ 5 speed and 4wd.

I run all synthetics - P/S, Trans, Transfer Case, Ft & Rear Diffs, Engine.

Change my engine oil and filter religiously every 3.000 miles, Air Filter every 12,000, and Plugs every 15,000, wires every 50,000.

I get 20 mpg around town, and 20-24 mpg on the freeway/long trips.

Every 3,000 miles you should spray MAF Sensor Cleaner on both the MAF and the upstream air temp sensor.

If you aren't heavy handed, you can assist the process with the help of a couple of CLEAN Q-Tips...

If you're lucky enough to have a panel type air cleaner, blow it out with compressed air every 3,000 miles.

Clean the engine idle control valve every 3,000 miles with a Q-Tip and sensor safe cleaner.

Blow out the small black air filter that is attached to the idle control Valve every 3,000.

It's a strong, reliable, KISS engine...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back